Geforce 4 Ti 4200 w/ AGP at 66mhz

I'm using Nvidia's overclocking utility and I was wondering if there was
any advantage in increasing the AGP above my current default of 66?

Daniel

"Dr. Linux" <danieloceaneleven@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Nvidia's overclocking utility and I was wondering if there was
> any advantage in increasing the AGP above my current default of 66?
>
> Daniel

I've tried it, and it doesn't appear to help at all.

Alan

Dr. Linux wrote:

> I'm using Nvidia's overclocking utility and I was wondering if there was
> any advantage in increasing the AGP above my current default of 66?
>
> Daniel

It used to be that overclocking your FSB helped system wide performance
(more bandwidth, more throughput). This isn't so true anymore. You
indicate you're using NV's OC utility, which leads me to believe you
have an NForce based board like myself.

I know that with the NForce2, there's a FSB/AGP divider. They're no
longer locked together. So we can have very high FSP speeds, while
still having 66mhz AGP. On some NForce 3 Opteron boards, this was
disabled in the first revisions and you could cook your PCI/AGP bus when
overclocking!

teqguy

duralisis wrote:

> Dr. Linux wrote:
>
> > I'm using Nvidia's overclocking utility and I was wondering if
> > there was any advantage in increasing the AGP above my current
> > default of 66?
> >
> > Daniel
>
> It used to be that overclocking your FSB helped system wide
> performance (more bandwidth, more throughput). This isn't so true
> anymore. You indicate you're using NV's OC utility, which leads me
> to believe you have an NForce based board like myself.
>
> I know that with the NForce2, there's a FSB/AGP divider. They're no
> longer locked together. So we can have very high FSP speeds, while
> still having 66mhz AGP. On some NForce 3 Opteron boards, this was
> disabled in the first revisions and you could cook your PCI/AGP bus
> when overclocking!

Watch out.... because there are some boards that still don't have
seperate FSB and AGP/PCI ICs.

Namely SOYO, DFI, and FOXCONN budget boards.

In the past, AGP and PCI clocks were adjusted together. Every 2mhz
increments of the AGP clock would raise the PCI clock 1mhz.

The FSB divider would directly reflect the clock speed, ie 133Mhz FSB
with a 1/2 divider would equate to stock speeds of 66/33.

I haven't ever seen a significant performance yield to overclocking the
AGP/PCI clocks.

The most you'll get is 10FPS and 500 points in 3DMark... which isn't
worth the risk of permanently damaging the motherboard, pci cards, and
agp card.

Dr. Linux wrote:
> I'm using Nvidia's overclocking utility and I was wondering if there
> was any advantage in increasing the AGP above my current default of
> 66?

Run 3Dmark and/or Aquamark 3 at 66 then at 82 or so. Don't go much higher
than that. See if there's a difference in scores. Don't change anything
except AGP bus speed.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

> Daniel

The only way it will noticeably help is if you use applications, or play
games, that overflow the VRAM on your card. If you have to start doing AGP
texturing, then overclocking the AGP bus gets you more AGP bandwidth. In
normal circumstances overclocking the AGP bus will gain you almost nothing.

DJB