Office Kit / National Access questions

Dean

Geez, live and learn.

I shrugged off the Internet when a friend showed it to me a million years
ago. Big deal, I said---big deal, indeed.

I laughed at Tivo until a friend showed me what it could do. Then I got it
and loved it.

Similarly, I've ignored posts about Office Kits, MOU, EN, etc etc. Until
today.

A salesman came to my job and had to run prices and give me price quotes on
his company letterhead. He just walked in with his laptop, plugged a USB
cable into his cell phone, connected to his company website, created the
quote sheets, and faxed them to our office fax machine (10 feet away). Silly
as it sounds, I was blown away.

I questioned him about it. He said "it's easy, just go to Verizon, get the
"Office Kit" for your phone, and follow the instructions".

At the risk of sounding ignorant (too late, haha), is it really that easy?
And what will it cost me in airtime?

I ask because I spend many weekends in NE Pennsylvania, where I have no DSL.
My DSL provider charges extra for dial-up access. Since I'm there on
weekends, if it's charged on a 'MOU" basis, no problem. Is this a viable
alternative to paying extra for dial-up?
Oh---I need to point out that the service in PA is "Extended Coverage"
(non-Verizon) digital. My phone does show "1X" there...

Thanks!!

Dean

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:53:27 GMT, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> chose to add
this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

<snip>
>I questioned him about it. He said "it's easy, just go to Verizon, get the
>"Office Kit" for your phone, and follow the instructions".
>
>At the risk of sounding ignorant (too late, haha), is it really that easy?

Yes.

>And what will it cost me in airtime?

Whatever you would pay for a regular voice call at the time you do it.

>Oh---I need to point out that the service in PA is "Extended Coverage"
>(non-Verizon) digital. My phone does show "1X" there...

Try it in VZW native coverage first, to make sure you have it set up and
working right., Then all you can do is go out to PA and try it and see,
unless someone else here has firsthand experience with that area.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"You can have a world that is so... at ease with itself and *celebrates*
its differences and *celebrates* its diversity that we can be attacked by
the five-assed monkey people and, and it's okay for us." - Wil Wheaton,
about the Earth of the 'Star Trek' vision of the future

Rich

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:53:27 GMT, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Geez, live and learn.
>
>I shrugged off the Internet when a friend showed it to me a million years
>ago. Big deal, I said---big deal, indeed.
>
>I laughed at Tivo until a friend showed me what it could do. Then I got it
>and loved it.
>
>Similarly, I've ignored posts about Office Kits, MOU, EN, etc etc. Until
>today.
>
>A salesman came to my job and had to run prices and give me price quotes on
>his company letterhead. He just walked in with his laptop, plugged a USB
>cable into his cell phone, connected to his company website, created the
>quote sheets, and faxed them to our office fax machine (10 feet away). Silly
>as it sounds, I was blown away.
>
>I questioned him about it. He said "it's easy, just go to Verizon, get the
>"Office Kit" for your phone, and follow the instructions".
>
>At the risk of sounding ignorant (too late, haha), is it really that easy?
>And what will it cost me in airtime?
>
>I ask because I spend many weekends in NE Pennsylvania, where I have no DSL.
>My DSL provider charges extra for dial-up access. Since I'm there on
>weekends, if it's charged on a 'MOU" basis, no problem. Is this a viable
>alternative to paying extra for dial-up?
>Oh---I need to point out that the service in PA is "Extended Coverage"
>(non-Verizon) digital. My phone does show "1X" there...
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Dean

dean , it is really pretty simple. i've just done it. suggest you
join this free yahoo group

once joined, check their files section. you'll find a verizon
tutorial there. its a must read before doing or buying anything. the
group there is very knowledgeable about how to get on line with your
phone.

73,
rich, n9dko

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Dean wrote:
> Geez, live and learn.
>
> I shrugged off the Internet when a friend showed it to me a million years
> ago. Big deal, I said---big deal, indeed.
>
> I laughed at Tivo until a friend showed me what it could do. Then I got it
> and loved it.
>
> Similarly, I've ignored posts about Office Kits, MOU, EN, etc etc. Until
> today.
>
> A salesman came to my job and had to run prices and give me price quotes on
> his company letterhead. He just walked in with his laptop, plugged a USB
> cable into his cell phone, connected to his company website, created the
> quote sheets, and faxed them to our office fax machine (10 feet away). Silly
> as it sounds, I was blown away.

Not impressed, it was an example of good use of current technology but
then it turned into WWII techniques with the fax. Why was a *fax*
required. Why couldn't he have just emailed a pdf to you? Why are we
still *faxing* stuff in 2005?

That said VZWs data network is good stuff and we use it frequently.

> I questioned him about it. He said "it's easy, just go to Verizon, get the
> "Office Kit" for your phone, and follow the instructions".
>
> At the risk of sounding ignorant (too late, haha), is it really that easy?
> And what will it cost me in airtime?
>
> I ask because I spend many weekends in NE Pennsylvania, where I have no DSL.
> My DSL provider charges extra for dial-up access. Since I'm there on
> weekends, if it's charged on a 'MOU" basis, no problem. Is this a viable
> alternative to paying extra for dial-up?
> Oh---I need to point out that the service in PA is "Extended Coverage"
> (non-Verizon) digital. My phone does show "1X" there...
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Dean

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Works good. Just do it. (after you know you can find a cable for your
phone - no need to use the VZW cable, just look on ebay)

-Frank