Any Suggestions - Leadtek or MSI 5900XT

Hey,
I'm about to upgrade my video card from a MSI 4400 to a 5900XT. Any
suggestions on whether the Leadtek on the MSI 5900XT? I mostly a gamer with
the obligatory surfing and Office type stuff.

The Leadtek has the faster RAM which is a bonus when OC'ing. I have had
good luck with MSI cards before and this one is rated very well. I think
they are essentially the same in performance with stick settings. I've had
friends who have owned Leadtek 4200 & 4600 cards and have had problems with
reliability and I am slightly leery of Leadtek cards ... yet they have the
kick butt 2.2 ns memory. The MSI cards are quiet and reliable.

No, I really don't want to fork over 350 -> 450 dollars for the next
generation of Nvidia card, just looking for something that will smoothly
play Far Cry, Quake 3 and the next generation of video games.

Thanks
18 answers Last reply
More about suggestions leadtek 5900xt

    In article <5RYfc.154403$K91.406540@attbi_s02>, Tom@comcast.net says...
    > Hey,
    > I'm about to upgrade my video card from a MSI 4400 to a 5900XT. Any
    > suggestions on whether the Leadtek on the MSI 5900XT? I mostly a gamer with
    > the obligatory surfing and Office type stuff.
    >
    > The Leadtek has the faster RAM which is a bonus when OC'ing. I have had
    > good luck with MSI cards before and this one is rated very well. I think
    > they are essentially the same in performance with stick settings. I've had
    > friends who have owned Leadtek 4200 & 4600 cards and have had problems with
    > reliability and I am slightly leery of Leadtek cards ... yet they have the
    > kick butt 2.2 ns memory. The MSI cards are quiet and reliable.

    Actually Leadtek has a good reputation for building quality video cards.
    I was very happy with my Leadtek Ti4200, before I bought their FX5900XT.

    You can't go wrong with either card. They both have good, quiet fans and
    identical performance at stock speeds. I think the MSI has video in
    capability, if capturing video is something you might want to do. Also,
    the Leadtek has hardware temperature monitoring, which is missing (?) on
    the MSI card.

    Again, either card is a good choice. Pick the one which has the features
    and software bundle you like best.

    Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
    condition.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light wrote:

    > Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
    > condition.

    The Leadtek 5900XT has memory timings rated at 2.2ns. That's exactly
    the same timings as the 5900 Ultra.

    So you'd be able to overclock it to Ultra speeds without paying the
    premium.

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:01:49 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:

    >Ed Light wrote:
    >
    >> Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
    >> condition.
    >

    >The Leadtek 5900XT has memory timings rated at 2.2ns.

    Not in their spec when I last looked. Thus no guarantee AT ALL. . Luck
    of the draw. Can't inspect the memory without either removing lots of
    stuff to read the chip-type or powering up and checking overclock. 15%
    restocking fee if you draw the short straw.

    John Lewis

    >That's exactly
    >the same timings as the 5900 Ultra.
    >

    >So you'd be able to overclock it to Ultra speeds without paying the
    >premium.

    In article <4080e7f9.2011019@news.verizon.net>, john.dsl@verizon.net
    says...
    > On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:01:49 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:
    >
    > Not in their spec when I last looked. Thus no guarantee AT ALL. . Luck
    > of the draw. Can't inspect the memory without either removing lots of
    > stuff to read the chip-type or powering up and checking overclock. 15%
    > restocking fee if you draw the short straw.

    Yes, you're absolutely correct. My Leadtek FX5900XT came with Hynix
    2.8ns memory, which matches its rated memory spec of 700MHz. Like John
    says, strickly luck of the draw.

    In fact, due to its higher cost it's unlikely that Leadtek would
    routinely use 2.2ns memory when the slower and cheaper 2.8ns memory is
    all that is required to meet spec.

    The whole point of the FX5900XT cards was to reduce manufacturing costs
    (and increase profit) over the original FX5900.

    Did you get your Leadtek 5900XT from NewEgg?

    In article <aXfgc.14008$ru4.16335@attbi_s52>, Tom@comcast.net says...
    > Did you get your Leadtek 5900XT from NewEgg?

    Yes, I did.

    > In article <aXfgc.14008$ru4.16335@attbi_s52>, Tom@comcast.net says...
    > > Did you get your Leadtek 5900XT from NewEgg?
    > >
    > Yes, I did.

    Memory speed 780
    gpu 450

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-128-185&depa=1

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    Gainward Golden Sample (they make a non-golden sample too).
    Overclocked to 490/889

    http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Gainward5900XT/index.htm

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    Thanks for the lonk.
    Looks like the Gainward card comes OC'ed from the get go. Looking at this
    review of other cards
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_fx_5900_xt/page17.asp

    The Gainward OC'ing is not that great, at least the other cards here are
    OC'ed more than what they did in the Drvierheaven review.
    It doesn't look like Gainward has any free games either.
    The MSI cards are selling out everywhere .... the Leadtek cards seem like
    that the 2.2 ns memory is an iffy proposition too.
    Back to square one.

    "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the lonk.
    > Looks like the Gainward card comes OC'ed from the get go. Looking at this
    > review of other cards
    > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_fx_5900_xt/page17.asp
    >
    > The Gainward OC'ing is not that great, at least the other cards here are
    > OC'ed more than what they did in the Drvierheaven review.

    Golden Sample
    490/889

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Ed - I take it you have a golden Sample 5900 XT?

    I read where it is a huge card .. right now I have a MSI GF4 TI 4400 card
    which is about as big as I want to get .. lengthwise as it takes up a lot of
    space.

    I guess the difference in the regular and the golden sample is that some one
    verified that the RAM was decent .. i.e. handpicked.

    > "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the lonk.
    > > Looks like the Gainward card comes OC'ed from the get go. Looking at
    this
    > > review of other cards
    > > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_fx_5900_xt/page17.asp
    > >
    > > The Gainward OC'ing is not that great, at least the other cards here are
    > > OC'ed more than what they did in the Drvierheaven review.
    >
    > Golden Sample
    > 490/889
    >

    > --
    > Ed Light
    >
    > Smiley :-/
    > MS Smiley :-\
    >
    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote
    > Ed - I take it you have a golden Sample 5900 XT?

    Not yet. I'm waiting to see what sort of <=$200 card may turn up in the new
    6 series.

    I run Trainz and it's demanding something much faster than my ti4200.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:01:49 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Ed Light wrote:
    > >
    > >> Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
    > >> condition.
    > >

    > >The Leadtek 5900XT has memory timings rated at 2.2ns.
    >
    > Not in their spec when I last looked. Thus no guarantee AT ALL. . Luck
    > of the draw. Can't inspect the memory without either removing lots of
    > stuff to read the chip-type or powering up and checking overclock. 15%
    > restocking fee if you draw the short straw.
    >
    > John Lewis

    It's pretty much a gamble with the memory. You might or might not
    have it on Leadtek. I'm not even sure what mine has, but I'm not
    planning on overclocking either.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Maybe that is the best thing to do .. just wait a bit and see what the new
    Nvidia cards bring pricewise. I'm reading up on the Sapphire 9800 Pro right
    now. With ATI and Nvidia bring in new cards this summer prices could drop.
    I still don't want to pay 300+ dolars for a new card.

    > "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote
    > > Ed - I take it you have a golden Sample 5900 XT?
    >
    > Not yet. I'm waiting to see what sort of <=$200 card may turn up in the
    new
    > 6 series.
    >
    > I run Trainz and it's demanding something much faster than my ti4200.
    >

    > --
    > Ed Light
    >
    > Smiley :-/
    > MS Smiley :-\
    >
    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Just one thing -- I read a rumor that nvidia wants to kill off the 5900xt in
    order not to interfere with the sales of the 5700 etc.

    --

    > Maybe that is the best thing to do .. just wait a bit and see what the new
    > Nvidia cards bring pricewise. I'm reading up on the Sapphire 9800 Pro
    right
    > now. With ATI and Nvidia bring in new cards this summer prices could
    drop.
    > I still don't want to pay 300+ dolars for a new card.
    >
    > "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote
    > > > Ed - I take it you have a golden Sample 5900 XT?
    > >
    > > Not yet. I'm waiting to see what sort of <=$200 card may turn up in the
    > new
    > > 6 series.
    > >
    > > I run Trainz and it's demanding something much faster than my ti4200.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Ed Light
    > >
    > > Smiley :-/
    > > MS Smiley :-\
    > >
    > > Send spam to the FTC at
    > > uce@ftc.gov
    > > Thanks, robots.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    That turned out to be just a rumor. According to Nvidia the 5900 is one of their best sellers and
    isn't going anywhere.

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:35:14 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote:

    >Just one thing -- I read a rumor that nvidia wants to kill off the 5900xt in
    >order not to interfere with the sales of the 5700 etc.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Did they specifically say the XT? I can see how they wouldn't discontinue
    the regular 5900.

    "LooseScrew" <@keyboard.com> wrote in message
    > That turned out to be just a rumor. According to Nvidia the 5900 is one of
    their best sellers and
    > isn't going anywhere.
    >
    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:35:14 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
    wrote:

    > >Just one thing -- I read a rumor that nvidia wants to kill off the 5900xt
    in
    > >order not to interfere with the sales of the 5700 etc.

Nvidia Leadtek Graphics MSI-Microstar