Any Suggestions - Leadtek or MSI 5900XT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 17, 2004 2:10:09 AM

Hey,
I'm about to upgrade my video card from a MSI 4400 to a 5900XT. Any
suggestions on whether the Leadtek on the MSI 5900XT? I mostly a gamer with
the obligatory surfing and Office type stuff.

The Leadtek has the faster RAM which is a bonus when OC'ing. I have had
good luck with MSI cards before and this one is rated very well. I think
they are essentially the same in performance with stick settings. I've had
friends who have owned Leadtek 4200 & 4600 cards and have had problems with
reliability and I am slightly leery of Leadtek cards ... yet they have the
kick butt 2.2 ns memory. The MSI cards are quiet and reliable.

No, I really don't want to fork over 350 -> 450 dollars for the next
generation of Nvidia card, just looking for something that will smoothly
play Far Cry, Quake 3 and the next generation of video games.

Thanks
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 2:10:10 AM

In article <5RYfc.154403$K91.406540@attbi_s02>, Tom@comcast.net says...
> Hey,
> I'm about to upgrade my video card from a MSI 4400 to a 5900XT. Any
> suggestions on whether the Leadtek on the MSI 5900XT? I mostly a gamer with
> the obligatory surfing and Office type stuff.
>
> The Leadtek has the faster RAM which is a bonus when OC'ing. I have had
> good luck with MSI cards before and this one is rated very well. I think
> they are essentially the same in performance with stick settings. I've had
> friends who have owned Leadtek 4200 & 4600 cards and have had problems with
> reliability and I am slightly leery of Leadtek cards ... yet they have the
> kick butt 2.2 ns memory. The MSI cards are quiet and reliable.

Actually Leadtek has a good reputation for building quality video cards.
I was very happy with my Leadtek Ti4200, before I bought their FX5900XT.

You can't go wrong with either card. They both have good, quiet fans and
identical performance at stock speeds. I think the MSI has video in
capability, if capturing video is something you might want to do. Also,
the Leadtek has hardware temperature monitoring, which is missing (?) on
the MSI card.

Again, either card is a good choice. Pick the one which has the features
and software bundle you like best.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 2:10:11 AM

Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
condition.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Related resources
April 17, 2004 10:01:49 AM

Ed Light wrote:

> Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
> condition.

The Leadtek 5900XT has memory timings rated at 2.2ns. That's exactly
the same timings as the 5900 Ultra.

So you'd be able to overclock it to Ultra speeds without paying the
premium.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:23:48 PM

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:01:49 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:

>Ed Light wrote:
>
>> Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
>> condition.
>

>The Leadtek 5900XT has memory timings rated at 2.2ns.

Not in their spec when I last looked. Thus no guarantee AT ALL. . Luck
of the draw. Can't inspect the memory without either removing lots of
stuff to read the chip-type or powering up and checking overclock. 15%
restocking fee if you draw the short straw.

John Lewis

>That's exactly
>the same timings as the 5900 Ultra.
>

>So you'd be able to overclock it to Ultra speeds without paying the
>premium.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 7:16:06 PM

In article <4080e7f9.2011019@news.verizon.net>, john.dsl@verizon.net
says...
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:01:49 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:
>
> Not in their spec when I last looked. Thus no guarantee AT ALL. . Luck
> of the draw. Can't inspect the memory without either removing lots of
> stuff to read the chip-type or powering up and checking overclock. 15%
> restocking fee if you draw the short straw.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. My Leadtek FX5900XT came with Hynix
2.8ns memory, which matches its rated memory spec of 700MHz. Like John
says, strickly luck of the draw.

In fact, due to its higher cost it's unlikely that Leadtek would
routinely use 2.2ns memory when the slower and cheaper 2.8ns memory is
all that is required to meet spec.

The whole point of the FX5900XT cards was to reduce manufacturing costs
(and increase profit) over the original FX5900.
April 17, 2004 11:53:42 PM

Did you get your Leadtek 5900XT from NewEgg?

"wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message
> In article <4080e7f9.2011019@news.verizon.net>, john.dsl@verizon.net
> says...
> > On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:01:49 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:
> >
> > Not in their spec when I last looked. Thus no guarantee AT ALL. . Luck
> > of the draw. Can't inspect the memory without either removing lots of
> > stuff to read the chip-type or powering up and checking overclock. 15%
> > restocking fee if you draw the short straw.
> >
> Yes, you're absolutely correct. My Leadtek FX5900XT came with Hynix
> 2.8ns memory, which matches its rated memory spec of 700MHz. Like John
> says, strickly luck of the draw.
>
> In fact, due to its higher cost it's unlikely that Leadtek would
> routinely use 2.2ns memory when the slower and cheaper 2.8ns memory is
> all that is required to meet spec.
>
> The whole point of the FX5900XT cards was to reduce manufacturing costs
> (and increase profit) over the original FX5900.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 11:53:43 PM

In article <aXfgc.14008$ru4.16335@attbi_s52>, Tom@comcast.net says...
> Did you get your Leadtek 5900XT from NewEgg?

Yes, I did.
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 8:58:40 AM

> In article <aXfgc.14008$ru4.16335@attbi_s52>, Tom@comcast.net says...
> > Did you get your Leadtek 5900XT from NewEgg?
> >
> Yes, I did.

Memory speed 780
gpu 450

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
April 18, 2004 8:59:23 PM

Thanks for the lonk.
Looks like the Gainward card comes OC'ed from the get go. Looking at this
review of other cards
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_fx_5900_xt/...

The Gainward OC'ing is not that great, at least the other cards here are
OC'ed more than what they did in the Drvierheaven review.
It doesn't look like Gainward has any free games either.
The MSI cards are selling out everywhere .... the Leadtek cards seem like
that the 2.2 ns memory is an iffy proposition too.
Back to square one.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> Gainward Golden Sample (they make a non-golden sample too).
> Overclocked to 490/889
>
> http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Gainward5900XT/inde...
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 8:59:24 PM

"Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the lonk.
> Looks like the Gainward card comes OC'ed from the get go. Looking at this
> review of other cards
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_fx_5900_xt/...
>
> The Gainward OC'ing is not that great, at least the other cards here are
> OC'ed more than what they did in the Drvierheaven review.

Golden Sample
490/889

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
April 19, 2004 6:45:21 AM

Ed - I take it you have a golden Sample 5900 XT?

I read where it is a huge card .. right now I have a MSI GF4 TI 4400 card
which is about as big as I want to get .. lengthwise as it takes up a lot of
space.

I guess the difference in the regular and the golden sample is that some one
verified that the RAM was decent .. i.e. handpicked.

> "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the lonk.
> > Looks like the Gainward card comes OC'ed from the get go. Looking at
this
> > review of other cards
> > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_fx_5900_xt/...
> >
> > The Gainward OC'ing is not that great, at least the other cards here are
> > OC'ed more than what they did in the Drvierheaven review.
>
> Golden Sample
> 490/889
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 6:45:22 AM

"Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote
> Ed - I take it you have a golden Sample 5900 XT?

Not yet. I'm waiting to see what sort of <=$200 card may turn up in the new
6 series.

I run Trainz and it's demanding something much faster than my ti4200.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
April 19, 2004 10:27:02 AM

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:01:49 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:
>
> >Ed Light wrote:
> >
> >> Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
> >> condition.
> >

> >The Leadtek 5900XT has memory timings rated at 2.2ns.
>
> Not in their spec when I last looked. Thus no guarantee AT ALL. . Luck
> of the draw. Can't inspect the memory without either removing lots of
> stuff to read the chip-type or powering up and checking overclock. 15%
> restocking fee if you draw the short straw.
>
> John Lewis

It's pretty much a gamble with the memory. You might or might not
have it on Leadtek. I'm not even sure what mine has, but I'm not
planning on overclocking either.
April 19, 2004 5:03:46 PM

Maybe that is the best thing to do .. just wait a bit and see what the new
Nvidia cards bring pricewise. I'm reading up on the Sapphire 9800 Pro right
now. With ATI and Nvidia bring in new cards this summer prices could drop.
I still don't want to pay 300+ dolars for a new card.

> "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote
> > Ed - I take it you have a golden Sample 5900 XT?
>
> Not yet. I'm waiting to see what sort of <=$200 card may turn up in the
new
> 6 series.
>
> I run Trainz and it's demanding something much faster than my ti4200.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 5:03:47 PM

Just one thing -- I read a rumor that nvidia wants to kill off the 5900xt in
order not to interfere with the sales of the 5700 etc.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

> Maybe that is the best thing to do .. just wait a bit and see what the new
> Nvidia cards bring pricewise. I'm reading up on the Sapphire 9800 Pro
right
> now. With ATI and Nvidia bring in new cards this summer prices could
drop.
> I still don't want to pay 300+ dolars for a new card.
>
> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> >
> > "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote
> > > Ed - I take it you have a golden Sample 5900 XT?
> >
> > Not yet. I'm waiting to see what sort of <=$200 card may turn up in the
> new
> > 6 series.
> >
> > I run Trainz and it's demanding something much faster than my ti4200.
> >

> > --
> > Ed Light
> >
> > Smiley :-/
> > MS Smiley :-\
> >
> > Send spam to the FTC at
> > uce@ftc.gov
> > Thanks, robots.

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 4:59:10 AM

That turned out to be just a rumor. According to Nvidia the 5900 is one of their best sellers and
isn't going anywhere.

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:35:14 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote:

>Just one thing -- I read a rumor that nvidia wants to kill off the 5900xt in
>order not to interfere with the sales of the 5700 etc.
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 4:59:11 AM

Did they specifically say the XT? I can see how they wouldn't discontinue
the regular 5900.

!