FX 5900 cheaper than FX 5900 XT?

I just looked at www.dabs.com and they have the following prices:

GeForce FX5900 128MB = £129
GeForce FX5900XT 123MB = £145

Isn't the XT slower than the regular one?
8 answers Last reply
More about 5900 cheaper 5900

    "GaryM" <gmcqueen@lineon.net> wrote in message
    > I just looked at www.dabs.com and they have the following prices:
    >
    > GeForce FX5900 128MB = £129
    > GeForce FX5900XT 123MB = £145
    >
    > Isn't the XT slower than the regular one?
    I believe so but "go figure" on the way things are priced. It could be
    different manufactures and the fact that the FX5900 is not selling as well
    as something with an XT at the end :)

    ---

    papasurf wrote:

    > "GaryM" <gmcqueen@lineon.net> wrote in message
    > > I just looked at www.dabs.com and they have the following prices:
    > >
    > > GeForce FX5900 128MB = #129
    > > GeForce FX5900XT 123MB = #145
    > >
    > > Isn't the XT slower than the regular one?
    > I believe so but "go figure" on the way things are priced. It could be
    > different manufactures and the fact that the FX5900 is not selling as
    > well as something with an XT at the end :)
    >

    > ---

    The 5900XT has a lower memory bandwidth, because the ram is rated for
    2.8ns rather than 2.2ns.

    There are some exceptions to this, such as Leadtek's 5900XT, but most
    of them have 2.8ns.

    Rule of thumb:

    Nvidia's Vision of XT = Cheap

    ATI's Vision of XT = Expensive

    Why they can't just explain this on the box..... beats me.... but the
    price should definitely be an indicator for anyone who does their
    homework.

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 02:58:06 +0100, GaryM <gmcqueen@lineon.net> wrote:

    >I just looked at www.dabs.com and they have the following prices:
    >
    >GeForce FX5900 128MB = £129

    The Aopen@129 pounds is a genuine FX5900 GPU 400MHz, Mem 850 MHz.
    Verified by somebody else who bought one out of the last batch Dabs
    received. He was looking for another one for his son and they were out
    of stock. Hopefully he is reading this posting, Reference nVidia
    design. See picture. Heat sink 1.5 slot-widths high.

    Genuine FX5900/128 command a premium price here in the US. Replaced
    with the cheesy 5900FX, flimsy heat-sinking, slower memory. No thermal

    monitoring on several versions.

    There are only 12 left. Grab one.

    John Lewis

    >GeForce FX5900XT 123MB = £145
    >
    >Isn't the XT slower than the regular one?

    Its well worth the money - I got one from Dabs a while ago - I have it
    overclocked at 475/900

    Great card
    Bumnuts

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:00:47 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:

    >papasurf wrote:
    >

    >> "GaryM" <gmcqueen@lineon.net> wrote in message
    >> > I just looked at www.dabs.com and they have the following prices:
    >> >
    >> > GeForce FX5900 128MB = #129
    >> > GeForce FX5900XT 123MB = #145
    >> >
    >> > Isn't the XT slower than the regular one?
    >> I believe so but "go figure" on the way things are priced. It could be
    >> different manufactures and the fact that the FX5900 is not selling as
    >> well as something with an XT at the end :)
    >>

    >> ---
    >

    >The 5900XT has a lower memory bandwidth, because the ram is rated for
    >2.8ns rather than 2.2ns.
    >

    >There are some exceptions to this, such as Leadtek's 5900XT, but most
    >of them have 2.8ns.
    >

    >Rule of thumb:
    >

    >Nvidia's Vision of XT = Cheap
    >

    >ATI's Vision of XT = Expensive
    >>
    >Why they can't just explain this on the box..... beats me.... but the
    >price should definitely be an indicator for anyone who does their
    >homework.

    Please say SOME Leadtek 5900XTs have 2.2 memory, mines does not, it
    has 2.8 and I have heard others say they have 2.8 as well. It may
    have only been early versions that had the 2.2 memory or perhaps the
    luck of the draw.

    <posted & mailed>

    John Lewis wrote:

    >The Aopen@129 pounds is a genuine FX5900 GPU 400MHz, Mem 850 MHz.
    >Verified by somebody else who bought one out of the last batch Dabs
    >received. He was looking for another one for his son and they were out
    >of stock. Hopefully he is reading this posting,  Reference nVidia
    >design. See picture.  Heat sink 1.5 slot-widths high.

    I'm just about to buy one these from Dabs. Are they 1) definitely the 2.2ns
    version and 2) better than say, the Leadtek 5900XT

    Sorry I'm not exactly an expert on Graphics Cards. I had considered the 5950
    but it was too expensive. I think the 5900 would be the next best thing,
    yes?

    John.

    John wrote:

    > <posted & mailed>
    >
    > John Lewis wrote:
    >
    >>The Aopen@129 pounds is a genuine FX5900 GPU 400MHz, Mem 850 MHz.
    >>Verified by somebody else who bought one out of the last batch Dabs
    >>received. He was looking for another one for his son and they were out
    >>of stock. Hopefully he is reading this posting,  Reference nVidia
    >>design. See picture.  Heat sink 1.5 slot-widths high.
    >
    > I'm just about to buy one these from Dabs. Are they 1) definitely the
    > 2.2ns version and 2) better than say, the Leadtek 5900XT
    >
    > Sorry I'm not exactly an expert on Graphics Cards. I had considered the
    > 5950 but it was too expensive. I think the 5900 would be the next best
    > thing, yes?
    >
    > John.

    PS How is the AOpen card for noise? Important point I think. I can't find a
    manucturer's spec anywhere for the card.

    >There are only 12 left. Grab one.

    I just looked a minute ago and it was down to 5, so I snapped one up
    pronto.

Nvidia Geforce Graphics