Business vs Consumer SALES TAX-They Are Different!

Did you know that Gateway Business Sales has a different Sales Tax Map
than does Consumer? The same machine shipped to the same zip code may
be taxed or not taxed depending on whether the business sales or
consumer sales department is the one quoting?

I'm not sure why. It is nevertheless true. It seems as though
business has a much smaller number of states in which tax must be
paid. Since they are in the same buildings I'm not sure why, but
nonetheless it's so.

Business can only sell to you if you are a business. However a home
based business is fine. You can say you are an Amway or Quixtar dealer
or whatever. Just don't say you are a dope dealer or bookie. Use
common sense.

"It seems as though business has a much smaller number of states in
which tax must be paid."

You seem to be making an incorrect assumption.
Whether tax is collected or not has little bearing on whether tax is
due.
Often tax is due regardless the source.
Consult your local tax authority for details.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message news:<Kswsd.303568$9b.111556@edtnps84>...
> "It seems as though business has a much smaller number of states in
> which tax must be paid."
>
> You seem to be making an incorrect assumption.
> Whether tax is collected or not has little bearing on whether tax is
> due.
> Often tax is due regardless the source.
> Consult your local tax authority for details.

That's a separate issue, but as you know it's very, very rare to get
bothered about it if tax isn't collected at point of purchase. Yes it
happens. So does winning the lottery.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

yeah right... there's always a huge line of people at the statehouse to pay
the sales tax on all of their out of state purchases.... NOT! maybe we
should just sign our checks over completely and let the state take care of
everything?