GF4 in a Older type Slot 1 MoBo..?

Have a MSI Slot one MoBo MS-6163 Pro, it has a GF1 in it, can a GF4 work in
it, not its not my system but I have the GF4 card and trying to help some one
out with a better 3D card.

Thanks.

<puss@purrpurr.com> schreef in bericht

> Have a MSI Slot one MoBo MS-6163 Pro, it has a GF1 in it, can a GF4 work
in
> it, not its not my system but I have the GF4 card and trying to help some
one
> out with a better 3D card.

As long he has a agp slot yes he should be able to. AGPx2 capable mobo will
work, apgx1 mobo will work too i think.

"Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message

" As long he has a agp slot yes he should be able to. AGPx2 capable mobo
will work, apgx1 mobo will work too i think. "

You'll see from this ATI website how the different cards will and will not
fit: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> schreef in bericht
> "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message
>
> " As long he has a agp slot yes he should be able to. AGPx2 capable mobo
> will work, apgx1 mobo will work too i think. "
>

> You'll see from this ATI website how the different cards will and will not
> fit: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

Thats a better thing, yes,
Anyway, that msi mobo is a 400bx chipset mobo, and i know that it is 2x
agp(v1.0) compliant, and if your GF4 is not a 8x agp (v3.0) it will work.

ps Did agpx1 mobo exist anyway? :S Dont think so now.. :)

"Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> schreef in bericht

> "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> schreef in bericht
> > "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message
> >
> > " As long he has a agp slot yes he should be able to. AGPx2 capable
mobo
> > will work, apgx1 mobo will work too i think. "
> >

> > You'll see from this ATI website how the different cards will and will
not
> > fit: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
> >
> Thats a better thing, yes,
> Anyway, that msi mobo is a 400bx chipset mobo, and i know that it is 2x
> agp(v1.0) compliant, and if your GF4 is not a 8x agp (v3.0) it will work.
>
> ps Did agpx1 mobo exist anyway? :S Dont think so now.. :)

Skip that agp8x not capable part, i dont know for sure, that Ati site is not
clear on it, cause it says 9700 cards can do it and 9800 can't (but in
pictures it says never capable). Go to your gf4 manufacturer site if it is a
8x agp card.

teqguy

Jelle wrote:

> "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> schreef in bericht
> >
> > "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> schreef in bericht
> > > "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message
> > >
> > > " As long he has a agp slot yes he should be able to. AGPx2
> > > capable
> mobo
> > > will work, apgx1 mobo will work too i think. "
> > >

> > > You'll see from this ATI website how the different cards will and
> > > will
> not
> > > fit: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
> > >
> > Thats a better thing, yes,
> > Anyway, that msi mobo is a 400bx chipset mobo, and i know that it
> > is 2x agp(v1.0) compliant, and if your GF4 is not a 8x agp (v3.0)
> > it will work.
> >
> > ps Did agpx1 mobo exist anyway? :S Dont think so now.. :)
> >
> Skip that agp8x not capable part, i dont know for sure, that Ati site
> is not clear on it, cause it says 9700 cards can do it and 9800 can't
> (but in pictures it says never capable). Go to your gf4 manufacturer
> site if it is a 8x agp card.

AGP 1x does not exist... because it would be the same clock as the PCI
slots.... which makes no sense.

AGP and PCI both run at 33mhz, the multiplier is the only thing that's
changed.

ie; 1x = 33mhz, 2x = 66mhz, 4x = 133mhz , 8x = 266mhz

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

AGP bus is 66 mhz not 33.

DaveL

puss@purrpurr.com wrote in

> Have a MSI Slot one MoBo MS-6163 Pro, it has a GF1 in it, can a GF4
> work in it, not its not my system but I have the GF4 card and trying
> to help some one out with a better 3D card.

I have a Tyan Tiger 100 S1832DL. That's a 440BX Dual cpu board, with AGP
2x slot. I'm running an MSI Ti4200 8x card in it, at AGP 2x. It works
fine. This is probably the fastest card I can ever use in this MB. It's
too cpu limited anyways.

I need a system but keep holding off. Waiting for Doom 3.

teqguy

DaveL wrote:

> AGP bus is 66 mhz not 33.
>
> DaveL
>

> "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote in message news:p6ggc.6199
> >
> > AGP 1x does not exist... because it would be the same clock as the
> > PCI slots.... which makes no sense.
> >

> > AGP and PCI both run at 33mhz, the multiplier is the only thing
> > that's changed.
> >

> > ie; 1x = 33mhz, 2x = 66mhz, 4x = 133mhz , 8x = 266mhz

Do the math moron...

If it was 66mhz, it would make AGP 4x 266mhz.

Explain to me how this is possible when most chipsets had a maximum
clock speed of 133mhz.

It would also make AGP 8x 533mhz, which would mean no bottleneck would
exist between the Northbridge and the graphics card.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:50:18 +0200, "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote:

>"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> schreef in bericht
>> "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message
>>
>> " As long he has a agp slot yes he should be able to. AGPx2 capable mobo
>> will work, apgx1 mobo will work too i think. "
>>

>> You'll see from this ATI website how the different cards will and will not
>> fit: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
>>
>Thats a better thing, yes,
>Anyway, that msi mobo is a 400bx chipset mobo, and i know that it is 2x
>agp(v1.0) compliant, and if your GF4 is not a 8x agp (v3.0) it will work.
>
>ps Did agpx1 mobo exist anyway? :S Dont think so now.. :)

The GF4 is a MSI 8818 V1 its not a 8x card...

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:56:46 +0200, "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote:

>"Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> schreef in bericht
>>
>> "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> schreef in bericht
>> > "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message
>> >
>> > " As long he has a agp slot yes he should be able to. AGPx2 capable
>mobo
>> > will work, apgx1 mobo will work too i think. "
>> >

>> > You'll see from this ATI website how the different cards will and will
>not
>> > fit: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
>> >
>> Thats a better thing, yes,
>> Anyway, that msi mobo is a 400bx chipset mobo, and i know that it is 2x
>> agp(v1.0) compliant, and if your GF4 is not a 8x agp (v3.0) it will work.
>>
>> ps Did agpx1 mobo exist anyway? :S Dont think so now.. :)
>>
>Skip that agp8x not capable part, i dont know for sure, that Ati site is not
>clear on it, cause it says 9700 cards can do it and 9800 can't (but in
>pictures it says never capable). Go to your gf4 manufacturer site if it is a
>8x agp card.

No its a Old GF4 card..

Here is the specs..

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/vga/vga_detail/StarForce818_ms8818.htm

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:50:18 +0200, "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote:

>"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> schreef in bericht
>> "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message
>>
>> " As long he has a agp slot yes he should be able to. AGPx2 capable mobo
>> will work, apgx1 mobo will work too i think. "
>>

>> You'll see from this ATI website how the different cards will and will not
>> fit: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
>>
>Thats a better thing, yes,
>Anyway, that msi mobo is a 400bx chipset mobo, and i know that it is 2x
>agp(v1.0) compliant, and if your GF4 is not a 8x agp (v3.0) it will work.
>
>ps Did agpx1 mobo exist anyway? :S Dont think so now.. :)

The GF4 ? is a MSI 8818 V1 its not a 8x card...

Card Specs

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/vga/vga_detail/StarForce818_ms8818.htm

Seems that its a GF2MX

I did not look before as it was in a box in the back room, and its for a
friend..