Far Cry demo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2004 5:41:22 AM

This demo crashes my machine. Anyone get this to
work, or can verify the demo's bad?

Jeff

More about : cry demo

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 5:41:23 AM

what is your system, and where does it crash? Most people have it running
fine, myself included.

--

Good Luck!
BB

"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
> This demo crashes my machine. Anyone get this to
> work, or can verify the demo's bad?
>
> Jeff

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 5:41:23 AM

jeff b wrote:
> This demo crashes my machine. Anyone get this to
> work, or can verify the demo's bad?

What version of the nVidia drivers do you have? Minimum for Far Cry is
53.03. http://farcry.ubi.com/demo.php

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/

The game takes a very powerful card. What card do you have? I have a Ti4200
and the full game and frames/second is hurting big time.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

> Jeff
April 18, 2004 7:25:25 AM

Billy_Bat wrote:
> what is your system, and where does it crash? Most people have it running
> fine, myself included.

When I try to launch, it hangs after loading about 98%.
task manager shows "pr9ogram not responding".
Since there's nothing wrong with my computer,
I needed to know if there is something wrong
with the file so I don't waste time if there's a known
problem.

Jeff B
April 18, 2004 6:03:18 PM

> What version of the nVidia drivers do you have? Minimum for Far Cry is
> 53.03. http://farcry.ubi.com/demo.php

I have played Farcry all the way through using the 45.23 drivers with my
Ti4200. All the settings were on medium at 1024x768. At some points in the
game I used the high settings and it still played "ok" but not as responsve
as the medium settings during large action sequences. Then again reading the
UBI forums I see people complaining about slow downs on high settings with a
9800pro etc etc etc.

The Ti4200 is still a very good card :)

Morgan
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 10:58:31 PM

"Too_Much_Coffee ®" <looking@the.grrrls> wrote
> What version of the nVidia drivers do you have? Minimum for Far Cry is
> 53.03. http://farcry.ubi.com/demo.php

Seems to work fine with 43.45 too.

> The game takes a very powerful card. What card do you have?
> I have a Ti4200 and the full game and frames/second is hurting big time.

So full version has more "loose code" than the demo?
For me the demo runs quite well considering the medium-settings
and GF3 Ti200... But different people are used to different
framerates :-) I'd still say it runs around 20-25fps most of the time.
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 11:51:05 PM

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message
> "Too_Much_Coffee ®" <looking@the.grrrls> wrote
> > What version of the nVidia drivers do you have? Minimum for Far Cry is
> > 53.03. http://farcry.ubi.com/demo.php
>
> Seems to work fine with 43.45 too.
>
> > The game takes a very powerful card. What card do you have?
> > I have a Ti4200 and the full game and frames/second is hurting big time.
>
> So full version has more "loose code" than the demo?
> For me the demo runs quite well considering the medium-settings
> and GF3 Ti200... But different people are used to different
> framerates :-) I'd still say it runs around 20-25fps most of the time.

I have an AMD 3000, 1 gig memory and a 5950 ultra and the full game plays
badly on medium/high settings when anything starts happening.. i.e. gunfire,
in tunnels etc
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 12:38:18 AM

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message
> "Too_Much_Coffee ®" <looking@the.grrrls> wrote
> > What version of the nVidia drivers do you have? Minimum for Far Cry is
> > 53.03. http://farcry.ubi.com/demo.php
>
> Seems to work fine with 43.45 too.
>
> > The game takes a very powerful card. What card do you have?
> > I have a Ti4200 and the full game and frames/second is hurting big time.
>
> So full version has more "loose code" than the demo?
> For me the demo runs quite well considering the medium-settings
> and GF3 Ti200... But different people are used to different
> framerates :-) I'd still say it runs around 20-25fps most of the time.

I found the full version ran better than the demo on my Ti4200. With the
nVidia 56.72 drivers and my XP2400 I can smoothly run it at 1024x768 with
Medium settings and AA enabled, or High with no AA. Very High runs but
occassionally struggles.

Dan
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 2:36:04 AM

What hardware and drivers are you trying to run it on. It requires hefty
specs.

--
DaveW

"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
> This demo crashes my machine. Anyone get this to
> work, or can verify the demo's bad?
>
> Jeff

April 19, 2004 2:37:07 AM

I also am running aTi4200 with 128mb on a P4 2.4 with 1GB Ram. So far with
all medium settings, it runs pretty good at 1024X768. I tried the high
settins, but just like Morgan said, it runs "ok"

Here is my question, if upgrading to a 5900 ultra, would I see a difference,
or would I bottle neck at the processor?

Craig

"Morgan" <morgan@home.net> wrote in message
> > What version of the nVidia drivers do you have? Minimum for Far Cry is
> > 53.03. http://farcry.ubi.com/demo.php
> >

> I have played Farcry all the way through using the 45.23 drivers with my
> Ti4200. All the settings were on medium at 1024x768. At some points in the
> game I used the high settings and it still played "ok" but not as
responsve
> as the medium settings during large action sequences. Then again reading
the
> UBI forums I see people complaining about slow downs on high settings with
> 9800pro etc etc etc.
>
> The Ti4200 is still a very good card :)
>
> Morgan

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 12:31:10 PM

After you type: "\save_game 1" into the console, you can press ctrl-c and
copy it to the clipboard and then just press ctrl-v to paste when you need
it; or you can put it on the clipboard before you start the game.

TMC
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 9:16:28 PM

huLLy <hully@despammed.com> wrote:

> I have an AMD 3000, 1 gig memory and a 5950 ultra and the full game
> plays badly on medium/high settings when anything starts happening..
> i.e. gunfire, in tunnels etc

Sounds like you have a problem somewhere. Which motherboard do you have?
Which motherboard drivers are you using? Which nVidia drivers?

I have AMD XP2400, ASUS A7N8X-X board, 1GB PC3200 DDR, LeadTek A250 LE TD
Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB AGP 4x, nVidia 56.72 graphics driver, latest nForce 2
drivers for motherboard, running on Windows 2000 Pro SP4. Far Cry runs great
at 1024x768 in Medium settings with AA enabled, and OK at High settings with
no AA. Very High has problems with lots of action happening.

Your system should be significantly better than mine, so should have no
trouble running at 1024x768 or 1280x960 in Medium settings with AA or High,
and should be able to run fine with Very High enabled. What resolution are
you trying to run the game at? Are you using the 1.1 patch?

Dan
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 9:33:58 PM

"Daniel Crichton" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
> huLLy <hully@despammed.com> wrote:
>
> > I have an AMD 3000, 1 gig memory and a 5950 ultra and the full game
> > plays badly on medium/high settings when anything starts happening..
> > i.e. gunfire, in tunnels etc
>
> Sounds like you have a problem somewhere. Which motherboard do you have?
> Which motherboard drivers are you using? Which nVidia drivers?

I have an Asus A7N8X, latest NForce 2 drivers, Latest Nvidia Graphics
Drivers. I'm also using Winfox to dramatically overclock my 5950 (Gives an
increase of about 400 points in 3d mark 2003 to about 6350 points.)

I'm using the latest patched XP pro.

> I have AMD XP2400, ASUS A7N8X-X board, 1GB PC3200 DDR, LeadTek A250 LE TD
> Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB AGP 4x, nVidia 56.72 graphics driver, latest nForce
2
> drivers for motherboard, running on Windows 2000 Pro SP4. Far Cry runs
great
> at 1024x768 in Medium settings with AA enabled, and OK at High settings
with
> no AA. Very High has problems with lots of action happening.
>
> Your system should be significantly better than mine, so should have no
> trouble running at 1024x768 or 1280x960 in Medium settings with AA or
High,
> and should be able to run fine with Very High enabled. What resolution are
> you trying to run the game at? Are you using the 1.1 patch?

I was running at 1280x1024, but have dropped down to 1024x768.
The 1.1patch is installed.
I've just set 'cl_lazyweapon 0' in console and that and the drop in
resolution seems to have cleared up most of the problems.

I have an Audigy Platinum Pro Ex which I have switched off EAX support in
the game too. Again, the Audigy is running with the latest drivers.

I was considering changing to 'opengl' as mentioned in the readme, but
haven't tried it yet.

Cheers Dan

BTW, UT2004, Splinter Cell 2, Call of Duty play beautifully at 1200x1024 all
settings maxed..
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 1:09:22 PM

jeff b left a note on my windscreen which said:

> > what is your system, and where does it crash? Most people have it running
> > fine, myself included.
> >

> When I try to launch, it hangs after loading about 98%.
> task manager shows "pr9ogram not responding".
> Since there's nothing wrong with my computer,
> I needed to know if there is something wrong
> with the file so I don't waste time if there's a known
> problem.

Try unselecting DX9 from the installation options. The demo doesn't
include it so it can't install it.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 1:11:33 PM

Too_Much_Coffee ® left a note on my windscreen which said:

> After you type: "\save_game 1" into the console, you can press ctrl-c and
> copy it to the clipboard and then just press ctrl-v to paste when you need
> it; or you can put it on the clipboard before you start the game.

After you've entered the command once in the console you can instantly
key.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 2:44:22 AM

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:53:16 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:

>Spacker wrote:
>> Nope, it's checkpoint saving.
>
>"checkpoint saving" = no saving.
>
> Check the UBI forums, someone came up with a
>> way to get save though.
>
>Normally, I wouldn't buy such a game,
>thereby rewarding the developer
>for ruining an otherwise good game.
>But if there's a work around, I may try it.
>The forums are mixed, and suggest the workaround has
>a few side effects.

With the CHEAT, you can save more... but checkpoint saving is decent
in the game.

The whole game is quite good.... nerve racking when youre not GOD with
all ammo and guns.

I'd give the game a 10 if not for a few faults.

1 - Voice active (not horrible, mixed - refer to HALO for very good
acting)

2 - Sky doesn't move. (Unreal and above, the sky moves in most maps,
in UT2004 - on some maps - the clouds moving causes shadows to move
like in real life).

3 - sometimes idiot AI.

4 - VEC control a little weak... how they handle more so than lack of
customize button control.

5 - Worst video cut scenes I've seen in a long time... they are
abrupt, edited badly.... prefer UT's (since the first game in 97) in
which the "vids" are really 3D rendered flying camera angles etc.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 9:05:50 PM

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 03:25:25 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:

>Billy_Bat wrote:
>> what is your system, and where does it crash? Most people have it running
>> fine, myself included.

>When I try to launch, it hangs after loading about 98%.
>task manager shows "pr9ogram not responding".
>Since there's nothing wrong with my computer,
>I needed to know if there is something wrong
>with the file so I don't waste time if there's a known
>problem.

Although I've not tried to d/l the FC demo (490 Mb is too much for
me), I have had bad d/l files crash my computer. Re-downloading the
file might solve the problem.

Sig:
I have a brain the size of a planet. It's not much good to me, however. It's on a different planet.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 9:05:51 PM

Rotes Sapiens left a note on my windscreen which said:

(I didn't see the original message so I'll respond from your reply)

> >When I try to launch, it hangs after loading about 98%.
> >task manager shows "pr9ogram not responding".
> >Since there's nothing wrong with my computer,
> >I needed to know if there is something wrong
> >with the file so I don't waste time if there's a known
> >problem.

To install the Far Cry demo make sure you unselect the option to install
DirectX9.0.

This should solve your problem.
--
Stoneskin