CPU Scaling and New Video Cards

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I hope this crosspost is ok.

Ok here's my problem with where PC gaming is going. I built an AMD 1.53 GHZ
machine w/ 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200 in 2002. Obviously this
system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of games.

Ok fine ...

So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide enough
power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ system
with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
potential?

For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen of
video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1, 1.4,
1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ???
58 answers Last reply
More about scaling video cards
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message

    > I hope this crosspost is ok.
    >
    > Ok here's my problem with where PC gaming is going. I built an AMD
    1.53 GHZ
    > machine w/ 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200 in 2002. Obviously
    this
    > system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of games.
    >
    > Ok fine ...
    >
    > So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide
    enough
    > power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ
    system
    > with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
    > potential?
    >
    > For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    > addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen
    of
    > video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1,
    1.4,
    > 1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ???

    I have seen some reviews in the past which put different video cards
    with processors of different speeds, but such reviews are the exception
    rather than the norm. It seems to me that most reviewers hand-pick the
    very fastest processor (like as if everyone owns one) and then does
    video card benchmarks with it. I agree it's good to know how a video
    card will perform with high-end processors, but I think such reviews way
    more useful if you benchmark using processors that people are more
    likely to have in their computer at any given time. I think it's
    reasonable to bench with processors ranging from 1.3GHz and up in this
    day and age, not always 3.2GHz or 3.4GHz. Sometimes I swear it's
    marketing at work...
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    hasn't it always been like this? p2-400 or 1ghz etc etc. If you want to play
    the latest and greatest you'll have to upgrade eventually.
    "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message

    > I hope this crosspost is ok.
    >
    > Ok here's my problem with where PC gaming is going. I built an AMD 1.53
    GHZ
    > machine w/ 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200 in 2002. Obviously this
    > system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of games.
    >
    > Ok fine ...
    >
    > So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide enough
    > power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ system
    > with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
    > potential?
    >
    > For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    > addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen of
    > video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1, 1.4,
    > 1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ???

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Yes this has always been the case. But prior upgrades were at least making
    Windows and other applications faster.

    Now many of us will be junking our already fast systems to no other benefit
    than blowing away Carmack's new zombies at decent framerates. LOL

    Xbox 2 anyone?

    :)

    "PEACEMAKER" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote in message
    > hasn't it always been like this? p2-400 or 1ghz etc etc. If you want to
    play
    > the latest and greatest you'll have to upgrade eventually.
    > "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I hope this crosspost is ok.
    > >
    > > Ok here's my problem with where PC gaming is going. I built an AMD 1.53
    > GHZ
    > > machine w/ 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200 in 2002. Obviously
    this
    > > system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of games.
    > >
    > > Ok fine ...
    > >
    > > So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide
    enough
    > > power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ
    system
    > > with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
    > > potential?
    > >
    > > For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    > > addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen
    of
    > > video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1,
    1.4,
    > > 1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ???

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message

    > I hope this crosspost is ok.
    >
    > Ok here's my problem with where PC gaming is going. I built an AMD 1.53
    GHZ
    > machine w/ 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200 in 2002. Obviously this
    > system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of games.
    >
    > Ok fine ...
    >
    > So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide enough
    > power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ system
    > with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
    > potential?
    >
    > For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    > addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen of
    > video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1, 1.4,
    > 1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ???

    You know you could always wait until Doom 3 to see what it *really*
    needs...just an idea...
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    New cards almost always NEED a fast CPU to "push" them. Take a look at Toms'
    Hardware. They have several charts (benchmarks) with the same video card,
    using a slower CPU, and faster CPU. The same video card can gain as much as
    25% (or more) performance just by having a faster CPU pumping out the data.

    "Phil" <pjharding24_removethis@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I hope this crosspost is ok.
    > >
    > > Ok here's my problem with where PC gaming is going. I built an AMD 1.53
    > GHZ
    > > machine w/ 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200 in 2002. Obviously
    this
    > > system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of games.
    > >
    > > Ok fine ...
    > >
    > > So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide
    enough
    > > power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ
    system
    > > with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
    > > potential?
    > >
    > > For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    > > addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen
    of
    > > video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1,
    1.4,
    > > 1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ???
    > >

    > You know you could always wait until Doom 3 to see what it *really*
    > needs...just an idea...

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:20:25 GMT, "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote:

    >So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide enough
    >power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ system
    >with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
    >potential?

    Pretty much.

    I have the same card as you, with an Athlon 2000 XP, and am looking at
    upgrading CPU, gfx card, mobe and case, all at the same time.

    There;s no real point in me just getting a new card, as my CPU
    wouldn't be able to shove the data across fast enough (although I
    would probably see a small improvement).

    It's a PITA, but there you have it. :(

    And what's with all the carrots ?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message

    " For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen of
    video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1, 1.4,
    1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ??? "

    Many are familiar with the following article:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html . If they were to
    also span a number of CPUs, then it would be so much more work for them.
    Would you also suggest they span a number of memory combinations and
    motherboards? A review of 30 graphics card, 30 CPUs, 30 memory combinations
    and 30 motherboards would turn into 30x30x30x30=810,000 system combinations.
    Then times that by each test and you're looking at millions, which is
    decades of work for one review. In order to properly test graphics cards in
    a short space of time they have to limit the query of other hardware factors
    being a bottleneck, which is why they use fast systems.

    As for the Far Cry / Doom3 / HL2 issue, you have three choices: 1) Leave
    your system as it is, 2) Upgrade your system, 3) Buy / build a new system.

    Given that you have a 266FSB Athlon XP 1800+ (according to your stated
    1.53Ghz), then your motherboard should take a 2400+ (or a 266FSB 2600+).
    Upgrading to 2x 512MB PC2100 would also help, and then you can decide what
    you want to do about a graphics card. Given that Nvidia have made *the
    biggest generation-to-generation performance leap that we have ever seen
    with a new GPU*, then it won't be long after the 6800 release that the
    current high-end cards drop dramatically in price. If game developers want
    to sell games, then they can't just make them playable on the highest-spec
    systems.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
    > New cards almost always NEED a fast CPU to "push" them. Take a look at
    Toms'
    > Hardware. They have several charts (benchmarks) with the same video card,
    > using a slower CPU, and faster CPU. The same video card can gain as much
    as
    > 25% (or more) performance just by having a faster CPU pumping out the
    data.

    I was just saying that if he wants to play Doom 3 to the best possible rate,
    its worth waiting to see what it actually needs, there's nothing really been
    confirmed yet.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Oh waiting is the most important component ad far as I am concerned. I
    probably won't build a new rig until Doom 3 is out for a while. There's
    nothing dumber than having built a new machine at any point over the last
    few months.

    The wait is on!

    > "Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
    > > New cards almost always NEED a fast CPU to "push" them. Take a look at
    > Toms'
    > > Hardware. They have several charts (benchmarks) with the same video
    card,
    > > using a slower CPU, and faster CPU. The same video card can gain as much
    > as
    > > 25% (or more) performance just by having a faster CPU pumping out the
    > data.
    > >

    > I was just saying that if he wants to play Doom 3 to the best possible
    rate,
    > its worth waiting to see what it actually needs, there's nothing really
    been
    > confirmed yet.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    firingsquad.com has cpu scaling benchmarks

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Jumpkick wrote:

    > firingsquad.com has cpu scaling benchmarks

    You guys have to take these games with a grain of salt.

    Sure, they're the latest and greatest craze now (or will be), but what
    about after them?

    If you have the money to upgrade, upgrade to a system thats at least 2
    years in advance, so that by the time the developers catch up your
    system has found its niche.

    A lot of software can be tweaked to accomodate what needs to be
    accomodated.

    Look at Windows XP.
    Sure, it says it requires a 350mhz processor with 256mb of ram.... but
    once you turn off all the bullshit, what do you have? Voila!

    And the Dawn demo that supposedly required a Geforce FX to run?
    Weeks later, college kids had it running on a Radeon... and running
    BETTER at that. A patch was later released for the Geforce 4 and lower
    series to emulate an FX... didn't do a bad job either.

    Software will always be behind hardware in development. Intel has the
    capability of developing 20 different processors by the time a new
    version of Windows comes out.

    If they worked together... we'd have a lot better performance.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    The slow CPU will limit your video speed.

    --
    DaveW

    "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message

    > I hope this crosspost is ok.
    >
    > Ok here's my problem with where PC gaming is going. I built an AMD 1.53
    GHZ
    > machine w/ 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200 in 2002. Obviously this
    > system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of games.
    >
    > Ok fine ...
    >
    > So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide enough
    > power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ system
    > with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
    > potential?
    >
    > For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    > addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen of
    > video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1, 1.4,
    > 1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ???

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
    > New cards almost always NEED a fast CPU to "push" them. Take a look at
    Toms'
    > Hardware. They have several charts (benchmarks) with the same video card,
    > using a slower CPU, and faster CPU. The same video card can gain as much
    as
    > 25% (or more) performance just by having a faster CPU pumping out the
    data.

    If you go to higher resolution or image quality, you will need a faster
    graphics card, not CPU. At higher resolutions games are graphics card
    limited, not CPU limited. This means unless you game at 800x600 or
    1024x768, you might benefit from a faster video card even if you have a
    slower CPU.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote in message news:<
    > You guys have to take these games with a grain of salt.
    > And the Dawn demo that supposedly required a Geforce FX to run?
    > Weeks later, college kids had it running on a Radeon... and running
    > BETTER at that. A patch was later released for the Geforce 4 and lower
    > series to emulate an FX... didn't do a bad job either.

    That was a good story but did you ever try it yourself? It wasn't just
    a Radeon, it had to be a Radeon 9800 Pro with 256MB memory.
    Personally, tried the patch on a Radeon 9800 Pro with 128MB and it
    didn't work. So much for that anecdote. Besides, that was yesterday's
    news. Have you tried the Dusk 5900 demo? Funny how there isn't any
    claim that it can be run on a Radeon or that it can be patched down to
    a Geforce 4. Don't believe everything you read except those things you
    already have a preconceived notion about seems to be a common theme on
    the Internet.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Phil" <pjharding24_removethis@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

    > You know you could always wait until Doom 3 to see what it *really*
    > needs...just an idea...

    That's what I'm going to do. But the waiting is killing me! Argh!
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote in message

    > That's what I'm going to do. But the waiting is killing me! Argh!

    With a name like yours?...c'mon. :-)

    (Just kidding of course)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote:

    >So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide enough
    >power to the new card?

    Of course not! You need a new vid card, processor, and therefore new
    motherboard ... basically you need a new computer except for
    peripherals like your mouse/kb and monitor.

    Remember the hype a few years back about how you wouldn't need to do
    this in the GeForce age? Nothing but marketing lies.

    Joe
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote:

    >Xbox 2 anyone?

    Almost everyone ... extreme hardware requirements are killing the PC
    game industry.

    Joe
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 4/18/2004 5:35 PM Mr. Grinch brightened our day with:

    >"Phil" <pjharding24_removethis@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
    >

    >>You know you could always wait until Doom 3 to see what it *really*
    >>needs...just an idea...
    >>

    >That's what I'm going to do. But the waiting is killing me! Argh!

    I've already got what I need to play Doom3, an XBox.

    --
    "Cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James

    Steve [Inglo]
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
    > On 4/18/2004 5:35 PM Mr. Grinch brightened our day with:
    >

    > I've already got what I need to play Doom3, an XBox.

    Oh yeah baby! Nothing like Doom3 at 640x480 resolution.

    (I know the XBox can do higher resolution than that... but even the scaled
    down Doom3 that the XBox may get will bring it to it's knees...)
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    then all the industry has to do is not write games that require extreme
    hardware? obviously people wanting extreme games is what is pushing the game
    industry. people who can afford 600$ video cards are more likely the ones to
    buy the games

    "Joe62" <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Xbox 2 anyone?
    >
    > Almost everyone ... extreme hardware requirements are killing the PC
    > game industry.
    >
    > Joe
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > then all the industry has to do is not write games that require extreme
    > hardware? obviously people wanting extreme games is what is pushing the
    game
    > industry. people who can afford 600$ video cards are more likely the ones
    > buy the games

    I disagree. A few demanding FPS's don't make up the whole of the PC
    gaming industry. Strategy games are more demanding than they were 3 years
    ago, but they are a still a far cry (pardon the pun) from some action games.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > Remember the hype a few years back about how you wouldn't need to do
    > this in the GeForce age? Nothing but marketing lies.

    Not necessarily true. If you want to up the resolution or image quality,
    a newer card on the same processor could still be do-able. The 6800 is only
    CPU limited at LOWER resolutions and without antialiasing. The antialiasing
    quality of the 6800 will be alot better than any of NVidia's previous cards.

    I have a GeForce FX 5900 (non-pro) but I'm going to be saving up to buy an
    FX 6800 (non-pro) if the benchmarks play out around the time of release.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 19 Apr 2004 00:00:20 -0700, blog_smirk@yahoo.com (Blig Merk) wrote:

    >That was a good story but did you ever try it yourself? It wasn't just
    >a Radeon, it had to be a Radeon 9800 Pro with 256MB memory.
    >Personally, tried the patch on a Radeon 9800 Pro with 128MB and it
    >didn't work. So much for that anecdote. Besides, that was yesterday's
    >news. Have you tried the Dusk 5900 demo? Funny how there isn't any
    >claim that it can be run on a Radeon or that it can be patched down to
    >a Geforce 4. Don't believe everything you read except those things you
    >already have a preconceived notion about seems to be a common theme on
    >the Internet.

    You had another issue. I ran it with no problems on my 128 meg 9800
    after reading about it here. Kind of silly really, but it works fine.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design (More info?)

    As long as game developers follow the lead of Crytek's Far Cry and make their games backwards compatible (as in decent framerates with reduced graphics detail) with at least 2 or 3 video chip generations, there won't be a problem with just about everyone buying (and enjoying) games.

    PEACEMAKER wrote:

    > then all the industry has to do is not write games that require extreme
    > hardware? obviously people wanting extreme games is what is pushing the game
    > industry. people who can afford 600$ video cards are more likely the ones to
    > buy the games
    >
    > "Joe62" <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Xbox 2 anyone?
    > >
    > > Almost everyone ... extreme hardware requirements are killing the PC
    > > game industry.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 4/18/2004 6:22 PM Skippy brightened our day with:

    >"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
    >

    >>On 4/18/2004 5:35 PM Mr. Grinch brightened our day with:
    >>

    >>I've already got what I need to play Doom3, an XBox.
    >>

    >Oh yeah baby! Nothing like Doom3 at 640x480 resolution.
    >
    >(I know the XBox can do higher resolution than that... but even the scaled
    >down Doom3 that the XBox may get will bring it to it's knees...)

    If you can handle 5 minute level loads I bet it'll look fine on the XBox.
    I'll be playing it on my overclocked like a mutha AthlonXP w/ Radeon
    9600 Pro though too, and I imagine the 96/800s will do alright as well.

    --
    "Cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James

    Steve [Inglo]
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Tim O <timo56REMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<lr8780hhcoijjaqnqpphivunnnqoame5ga@4ax.com>...
    > On 19 Apr 2004 00:00:20 -0700, blog_smirk@yahoo.com (Blig Merk) wrote:
    >
    > >That was a good story but did you ever try it yourself? It wasn't just
    > >a Radeon, it had to be a Radeon 9800 Pro with 256MB memory.
    > >Personally, tried the patch on a Radeon 9800 Pro with 128MB and it
    > >didn't work. So much for that anecdote. Besides, that was yesterday's
    > >news. Have you tried the Dusk 5900 demo? Funny how there isn't any
    > >claim that it can be run on a Radeon or that it can be patched down to
    > >a Geforce 4. Don't believe everything you read except those things you
    > >already have a preconceived notion about seems to be a common theme on
    > >the Internet.
    >
    > You had another issue. I ran it with no problems on my 128 meg 9800
    > after reading about it here. Kind of silly really, but it works fine.

    Dusk? http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/demos/nvidia/Dusk_1_1.exe

    Dusk Ultra? http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/demos/nvidia/Dusk_Ultra_1_1.exe

    Provide a link to a wrapper that works for these.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In article <9e2af5be.0404182300.6728d4f3@posting.google.com>,
    blog_smirk@yahoo.com says...
    > "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote in message news:<
    > > You guys have to take these games with a grain of salt.
    > > And the Dawn demo that supposedly required a Geforce FX to run?
    > > Weeks later, college kids had it running on a Radeon... and running
    > > BETTER at that. A patch was later released for the Geforce 4 and lower
    > > series to emulate an FX... didn't do a bad job either.
    >
    > That was a good story but did you ever try it yourself? It wasn't just
    > a Radeon, it had to be a Radeon 9800 Pro with 256MB memory.
    > Personally, tried the patch on a Radeon 9800 Pro with 128MB and it
    > didn't work. So much for that anecdote. Besides, that was yesterday's
    > news. Have you tried the Dusk 5900 demo? Funny how there isn't any
    > claim that it can be run on a Radeon or that it can be patched down to
    > a Geforce 4. Don't believe everything you read except those things you
    > already have a preconceived notion about seems to be a common theme on
    > the Internet.

    I've run the Dawn wrapper no problem on both a Radeon 9600 and 9800.
    Both with 128Mb RAM. Very nice too. Especially if you change the name of
    the EXE to QUAKE3.EXE and it makes her come out in the nude. Hur, hur.

    --

    | Listen all y'all this is sabotage ...

  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 04:07:22 -0400, "magnulus"
    <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > I disagree. A few demanding FPS's don't make up the whole of the PC
    >gaming industry. Strategy games are more demanding than they were 3 years
    >ago, but they are a still a far cry (pardon the pun) from some action games.

    State of the art games have been pushing PC hardware sales for over 10
    years now, and PC gaming is still going strong.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
    > State of the art games have been pushing PC hardware sales for over 10
    > years now, and PC gaming is still going strong.

    Bust at least 3/4 of the games out there have very modest system
    requirements.

    Out of the hundreds of games available, there are maybe only about 5-10 I
    would say are "demanding", and only maybe 2-3 I'd call "very demanding" (Far
    Cry would be one of them).
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design (More info?)

    > As long as game developers follow the lead of Crytek's Far Cry and make
    > their games backwards compatible (as in decent framerates with reduced
    > graphics detail) with at least 2 or 3 video chip generations, there won't be
    > a problem with just about everyone buying (and enjoying) games.

    ....except for people like me who didn't see written anywhere that the
    game was on a DVD-Rom and who, of course, don't have a driver for
    it...
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Your GF3 is holding your system back. That would be the next logical
    upgrade. If you get something like a 5900 you will be runnings these games
    fine.

    DaveL

    "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message

    > I hope this crosspost is ok.
    >
    > Ok here's my problem with where PC gaming is going. I built an AMD 1.53
    GHZ
    > machine w/ 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200 in 2002. Obviously this
    > system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of games.
    >
    > Ok fine ...
    >
    > So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide enough
    > power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ system
    > with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
    > potential?
    >
    > For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    > addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen of
    > video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1, 1.4,
    > 1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ???

  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Joe62 wrote:

    > "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Xbox 2 anyone?
    >

    > Almost everyone ... extreme hardware requirements are killing the PC
    > game industry.
    >
    > Joe

    Link?

    The Gaming Industry, are the ones who create those new 'hardware
    requirements' by putting those new features 'in there new games'.
    They knows the statistics on hardware and what people are buying or are
    currently using from past sales. If they wish to create a game that only
    performs great on 1% of the hardware. They have no one to blame but
    themselves, if they are shrinking there market.

    The last PC to be pushed to it's hardware limits (besides the PSX that
    is a console) was the Commodore 64! Unfortunately, well written software
    that pushes the hardware to the limit. Has been replaced by,
    faster hardware to push along buggy, bloated software at an satisfactory
    speed.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Inglo <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> brightened my day
    with his incisive wit when in
    news:blLgc.24173$o71.24048@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com he conjectured
    that:

    > On 4/18/2004 6:22 PM Skippy brightened our day with:
    >
    >>"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in
    >>message news:lzFgc.24076$uM5.6345@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
    >>

    >>>On 4/18/2004 5:35 PM Mr. Grinch brightened our day with:
    >>>

    >>>I've already got what I need to play Doom3, an XBox.
    >>>

    >>Oh yeah baby! Nothing like Doom3 at 640x480 resolution.
    >>
    >>(I know the XBox can do higher resolution than that... but even the
    >>scaled down Doom3 that the XBox may get will bring it to it's
    >>knees...)
    >>

    > If you can handle 5 minute level loads I bet it'll look fine on the
    > XBox. I'll be playing it on my overclocked like a mutha AthlonXP w/
    > Radeon 9600 Pro though too, and I imagine the 96/800s will do alright
    > as well.

    OK, I've got my pedant head on today. Is this thread attracting the
    biggest crock of bull this year or what?

    OK. Tell us please, why will the levels will take "5 minutes" to load on
    an XBox.

    I'm dieing to know.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Phil" <pjharding24_removethis@tiscali.co.uk> brightened my day with his
    incisive wit when in news:c5ujns$60gng$1@ID-230790.news.uni-berlin.de he
    conjectured that:

    > "Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
    >> New cards almost always NEED a fast CPU to "push" them. Take a look
    >> at
    > Toms'
    >> Hardware. They have several charts (benchmarks) with the same video
    >> card, using a slower CPU, and faster CPU. The same video card can
    >> gain as much
    > as
    >> 25% (or more) performance just by having a faster CPU pumping out the
    > data.
    >>

    > I was just saying that if he wants to play Doom 3 to the best possible
    > rate, its worth waiting to see what it actually needs, there's nothing
    > really been confirmed yet.

    Have you got Doom III tattooed on your ass or something? The question was a
    general question about CPU v GPU in general. The Doom III issue was merely
    a "games such as" point.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Walter Mitty" <mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Phil" <pjharding24_removethis@tiscali.co.uk> brightened my day with his
    > incisive wit when in news:c5ujns$60gng$1@ID-230790.news.uni-berlin.de he
    > conjectured that:
    >

    > > "Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
    > >> New cards almost always NEED a fast CPU to "push" them. Take a look
    > >> at
    > > Toms'
    > >> Hardware. They have several charts (benchmarks) with the same video
    > >> card, using a slower CPU, and faster CPU. The same video card can
    > >> gain as much
    > > as
    > >> 25% (or more) performance just by having a faster CPU pumping out the
    > > data.
    > >>

    > > I was just saying that if he wants to play Doom 3 to the best possible
    > > rate, its worth waiting to see what it actually needs, there's nothing
    > > really been confirmed yet.
    > >

    > Have you got Doom III tattooed on your ass or something? The question was
    > general question about CPU v GPU in general. The Doom III issue was merely
    > a "games such as" point.

    Yes, games such as Doom III, and other such games that *aren't out yet*
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 19 Apr 2004 07:59:00 -0700, blog_smirk@yahoo.com (Blig Merk) wrote:

    >Dusk? http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/demos/nvidia/Dusk_1_1.exe
    >
    >Dusk Ultra? http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/demos/nvidia/Dusk_Ultra_1_1.exe
    >
    >Provide a link to a wrapper that works for these.

    I don't know what Dusk, thought you were talking about the Dawn demo
    which is what the person you replied to was talking about.
    I did the search someone said when it was brought up before -"ATI
    sleeps with Dawn" or whatever in Google. I downloaded it, set it up
    like in the readme, watched it (there was a way to see it nude too),
    and deleted it.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    To get Far Cry to run at 1024x768x32 on medium settings you
    need something like a 2ghz CPU, 512mb RAM and GF4 128mb.
    you'll still get occasional hdd access and Windows takes a little while to
    restore after you exit the game so an extra 256mb is really sweet.
    I expect HL2 and Doom3 to need similar specs but you dont know for sure
    until its out.

    "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message

    > I hope this crosspost is ok.
    >
    > Ok here's my problem with where PC gaming is going. I built an AMD 1.53
    GHZ
    > machine w/ 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200 in 2002. Obviously this
    > system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of games.
    >
    > Ok fine ...
    >
    > So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide enough
    > power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ system
    > with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
    > potential?
    >
    > For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    > addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen of
    > video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1, 1.4,
    > 1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ???

  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Phil" <pjharding24_removethis@tiscali.co.uk> brightened my day with his
    incisive wit when in news:c60g2m$6dgtj$1@ID-230790.news.uni-berlin.de he
    conjectured that:

    > "Walter Mitty" <mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> "Phil" <pjharding24_removethis@tiscali.co.uk> brightened my day with
    >> his incisive wit when in
    >> news:c5ujns$60gng$1@ID-230790.news.uni-berlin.de he conjectured that:
    >>

    >> > "Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
    >> > Toms'
    >> > as
    >> > data.
    >> >>

    >> > I was just saying that if he wants to play Doom 3 to the best
    >> > possible rate, its worth waiting to see what it actually needs,
    >> > there's nothing really been confirmed yet.
    >> >

    >> Have you got Doom III tattooed on your ass or something? The question
    >> was
    >> general question about CPU v GPU in general. The Doom III issue was
    >> merely a "games such as" point.
    >
    > Yes, games such as Doom III, and other such games that *aren't out
    > yet*

    And your point is what exactly? We don't need to know the gameplay to
    have some idea of GPU vs CPU bottlenecks when it comes to high volume DX
    command strings.

    And, incidentally, it may come as a surprise to you to realise that Far
    Cry is, indeed, out.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > "Phil" <pjharding24_removethis@tiscali.co.uk> brightened my day with his
    > incisive wit when in news:c60g2m$6dgtj$1@ID-230790.news.uni-berlin.de he
    > conjectured that:
    >

    > > "Walter Mitty" <mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >> "Phil" <pjharding24_removethis@tiscali.co.uk> brightened my day with
    > >> his incisive wit when in
    > >> news:c5ujns$60gng$1@ID-230790.news.uni-berlin.de he conjectured that:

    > >> Have you got Doom III tattooed on your ass or something? The question
    > >> was
    > >> general question about CPU v GPU in general. The Doom III issue was
    > >> merely a "games such as" point.
    > >
    > > Yes, games such as Doom III, and other such games that *aren't out
    > > yet*
    > >

    > And your point is what exactly? We don't need to know the gameplay to
    > have some idea of GPU vs CPU bottlenecks when it comes to high volume DX
    > command strings.
    >
    > And, incidentally, it may come as a surprise to you to realise that Far
    > Cry is, indeed, out.

    "Obviously this system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of
    games."

    I know that Far Cry is already out, but this is only one game out of many
    that he is referring to...don't you think it would be a better idea to WAIT
    until the majority of them are out to then upgrade the system accordingly...
    That PC will run Far Cry fine, just not at maximum detail....he hasn't even
    suggested that he's even tried Far Cry on that pc yet.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Phil you are right. Building a machine for the next gen of games sometime
    after the release of Doom III is clearly the best upgrade. I remember when
    Quake 3 came out and it was limping along on the current hardware at the
    time. I'm thinking a few months after Doom 3 is a good start.

    Also, I tried Far Cry on my current PC. The key to getting stuff to run on
    older hardware seems to me reducing the resolution a lot. The game is
    pretty scalable though, so the developers did their job.

    They got my $50 :)

    > "Walter Mitty" <mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > "Phil" <pjharding24_removethis@tiscali.co.uk> brightened my day with his
    > > incisive wit when in news:c60g2m$6dgtj$1@ID-230790.news.uni-berlin.de he
    > > conjectured that:
    > >

    > > > "Walter Mitty" <mitticus.remo.veme@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > > Yes, games such as Doom III, and other such games that *aren't out
    > > > yet*
    > > >

    > > And your point is what exactly? We don't need to know the gameplay to
    > > have some idea of GPU vs CPU bottlenecks when it comes to high volume DX
    > > command strings.
    > >
    > > And, incidentally, it may come as a surprise to you to realise that Far
    > > Cry is, indeed, out.
    >
    > "Obviously this system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of
    > games."
    >
    > I know that Far Cry is already out, but this is only one game out of many
    > that he is referring to...don't you think it would be a better idea to
    WAIT
    > until the majority of them are out to then upgrade the system
    accordingly...
    > That PC will run Far Cry fine, just not at maximum detail....he hasn't
    even
    > suggested that he's even tried Far Cry on that pc yet.

  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@no-mail-please.com> wrote in

    > "Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote in message
    >>
    >> That's what I'm going to do. But the waiting is killing me! Argh!
    >>

    > With a name like yours?...c'mon. :-)
    >
    > (Just kidding of course)

    I'm stuck on a dual P3-800 running Server 2003 right now! I want to buy a
    new system right now SO BAD but I know it will be obsolete by the time Doom
    3 comes out. So I keep waiting for Doom 3. But the system I have now just
    doesn't cut it for games anymore. Something faster for converting AVI to
    DVD would be nice too, but I have to wait. Argh!
  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design (More info?)

    hrm when I got my game it was 5 normal cds not dvd-rom

    "Hello World" <helloworld@500mghosting.com> wrote in message
    > > As long as game developers follow the lead of Crytek's Far Cry and make
    > > their games backwards compatible (as in decent framerates with reduced
    > > graphics detail) with at least 2 or 3 video chip generations, there
    won't be
    > > a problem with just about everyone buying (and enjoying) games.
    >
    > ...except for people like me who didn't see written anywhere that the
    > game was on a DVD-Rom and who, of course, don't have a driver for
    > it...
  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:29:57 +0200, "Jumpkick" <nospam@me.com> wrote:

    >firingsquad.com has cpu scaling benchmarks

    Where though? I read through a lot of reviews and performance reviews
    of the different video cards on their site and didn't see any.
  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Short answer, it's probably time to look at upgrading; especially if your
    mb only supports 4X AGP. That is if you really want to play FryCry and some
    of the newer games at 1024 or higher with max details and AA/AF on.

    As to DoomIII & Half Life 2... well it just depends if they are CPU or GPU
    dependant as to how much you need to invest in your new rig. And we won't
    know that until we see the benchmarks.

    Check out this link:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/nv40.html

    Notice the performance for FarCry with top of the line computer rig with
    last years video cards vs the new Nvidia card. Certainly seems like this
    game is GPU dependant. Now check out the IL2 and Locklock performance.
    They appear to be CPU dependant (the frame rate isn't much greater from one
    video card to the next). Maybe Intel's new 4ghz cpu (later this year)
    might help?

    Oh, by the way, this year is shaping up for some interesting new hardware.
    The Nvidia 6800 video card is out. And ATI should be releasing their
    latest card sometime in May. Then later this year the PCI Express video
    cards are expected. Intel is suppose to release their next gen of CPUs.

    Jonathan

    "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message

    > I hope this crosspost is ok.
    >
    > Ok here's my problem with where PC gaming is going. I built an AMD 1.53
    GHZ
    > machine w/ 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200 in 2002. Obviously this
    > system is not ready for Far Cry and Doom III generation of games.
    >
    > Ok fine ...
    >
    > So can I just buy a new video card and expect my system to provide enough
    > power to the new card? Or am I faced with having to build a 3+ GHZ system
    > with faster bus speed in order to see my new video card pushed to its
    > potential?
    >
    > For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    > addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen of
    > video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1, 1.4,
    > 1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ???

  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "PEACEMAKER" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote:

    >then all the industry has to do is not write games that require extreme
    >hardware?

    Pretty much. Any analysis of game sales data makes it clear that the
    games that sell consistently have low hardware requirements. Not
    exactly rocket science ... when your market it 200 million PC owners,
    you've got a lot better chances than you do with 5 million hardcore
    gamers.

    >obviously people wanting extreme games is what is pushing the game
    >industry. people who can afford 600$ video cards are more likely the ones to
    >buy the games

    Your theory isn't backed by the data. These people are either buying
    less games each year, or there are less of these people (or, more
    likely, they've gone to console gaming).

    Joe
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Minotaur <antnel@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >The Gaming Industry, are the ones who create those new 'hardware
    >requirements' by putting those new features 'in there new games'.
    >They knows the statistics on hardware and what people are buying or are
    >currently using from past sales. If they wish to create a game that only
    >performs great on 1% of the hardware. They have no one to blame but
    >themselves, if they are shrinking there market.
    >
    >The last PC to be pushed to it's hardware limits (besides the PSX that
    >is a console) was the Commodore 64! Unfortunately, well written software
    >that pushes the hardware to the limit. Has been replaced by,
    >faster hardware to push along buggy, bloated software at an satisfactory
    >speed.

    Couldn't agree more, well said.

    Joe
  48. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > I'm stuck on a dual P3-800 running Server 2003 right now! I want to
    buy a
    > new system right now SO BAD but I know it will be obsolete by the time
    Doom
    > 3 comes out. So I keep waiting for Doom 3. But the system I have now
    just
    > doesn't cut it for games anymore. Something faster for converting AVI
    > DVD would be nice too, but I have to wait. Argh!

    Heh, with a machine like that, you deserve something new! Just take
    solace in the fact that the longer you can hold off, the nicer the
    upgrade will be!
  49. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message news:<c5uji1$60o4a$1@ID-66441.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > "Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message
    >
    > " For all of the reviews and benchmarking that's done, clearly nobody is
    > addressing the CPU scaling issue enough. I don't care how the next gen of
    > video cards is going to run on a 4 GHZ system! How will it run on 1, 1.4,
    > 1.53, 1.8, 2.0 GHZ .. etc ... ??? "
    >

    > Many are familiar with the following article:
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html . If they were to
    > also span a number of CPUs, then it would be so much more work for them.
    > Would you also suggest they span a number of memory combinations and
    > motherboards? A review of 30 graphics card, 30 CPUs, 30 memory combinations
    > and 30 motherboards would turn into 30x30x30x30=810,000 system combinations.
    > Then times that by each test and you're looking at millions, which is
    > decades of work for one review. In order to properly test graphics cards in
    > a short space of time they have to limit the query of other hardware factors
    > being a bottleneck, which is why they use fast systems.

    If you need to test all combinations of 4 types of things with 30
    choices each, that's right. But since most problems tend to be just
    two components working together, it's easier. If you only need to
    test all pairs (cards x CPUs, cards x motherboards, CPUs x
    motherboards, etc), that can be done with 900 system combinations.
    Each 4-item combination would test (4 choose 2)=6 pairs. Search for
    "allpairs" or "Taguchi method". As you add more types of things, the
    number of system combinations required eventually grows
    logarithmically with the number of types of things. The cost is much
    more sensitive to the maximum number of choices per type than to the
    number of types.

    Testing 900 system combinations is still quite a stretch, though.

Nvidia Graphics Cards Graphics