can coolbits be trusted?

I have an Inno 5900xt. At the moment I have OC it to 425/715. However, when
I ran 'autodetect' in coolbits, it suggested settings of 453/808. It also
knocked my refresh rate down from 75hz to 60hz.

Are the speeds suggested by coolbits too high?

Does anyone have experience of overclocking this type of card who can
suggest some ceiling speeds for the card?

Should I just keeping notching the speed up until it stops working and then
revert to the last functional settings?

Any advice would be appreciated as I have a nagging feeling that I'm under
using the card.

Thanks in advance

Paul

specs

Inno Geforce FX5900 XT
P4 2.4
1gb ddr 266 memory
audigy sound card

lee

I doubt very much you will get an extra 53mhz on the GPU core without major
cooling mods and attempting 108mhz extra on the memory clock i expect your
computer will just lockup. I would just keep trying 5mhz increments on them
until you get an artifacts or crashes.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:25:44 +0100, "paul whitehead"
<paulj.whitehead@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>:>I have an Inno 5900xt. At the moment I have OC it to 425/715. However, when
>:>I ran 'autodetect' in coolbits, it suggested settings of 453/808. It also
>:>knocked my refresh rate down from 75hz to 60hz.
>:>
>:>Are the speeds suggested by coolbits too high?
>:>
>:>Does anyone have experience of overclocking this type of card who can
>:>suggest some ceiling speeds for the card?
>:>
>:>Should I just keeping notching the speed up until it stops working and then
>:>revert to the last functional settings?
>:>
>:>Any advice would be appreciated as I have a nagging feeling that I'm under
>:>using the card.
>:>
>:>Thanks in advance
>:>
>:>Paul
>:>
>:>specs
>:>
>:>Inno Geforce FX5900 XT
>:>P4 2.4
>:>1gb ddr 266 memory
>:>audigy sound card
>:>

-----
Lee.

paul whitehead wrote:

> I have an Inno 5900xt. At the moment I have OC it to 425/715. However, when
> I ran 'autodetect' in coolbits, it suggested settings of 453/808. It also
> knocked my refresh rate down from 75hz to 60hz.

Autodetect on my Inno3D 5600 will suggest a severe underclocking :)

--
Error reading sig - A)bort R)etry I)nfluence with large hammer

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:25:44 +0100, "paul whitehead"
<paulj.whitehead@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I have an Inno 5900xt. At the moment I have OC it to 425/715. However, when
>I ran 'autodetect' in coolbits, it suggested settings of 453/808. It also
>knocked my refresh rate down from 75hz to 60hz.
>
>Are the speeds suggested by coolbits too high?
>
>Does anyone have experience of overclocking this type of card who can
>suggest some ceiling speeds for the card?
>
>Should I just keeping notching the speed up until it stops working and then
>revert to the last functional settings?
>
>Any advice would be appreciated as I have a nagging feeling that I'm under
>using the card.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Paul
>
>specs
>
>Inno Geforce FX5900 XT
>P4 2.4
>1gb ddr 266 memory
>audigy sound card

I am not an experienced o/clocker of any sort of hardware but with
the few graphics cards I have messed with (I say "messed with" for a
reason too as it's a hit and miss affair OR - At You Own Risk),, I
have learned that about 20% of the standard speed is about as far as
you would want to go "tops".. Some people go a little further but
generally I would go a little less than it.. Remember too,, when you
o/c a graphics card, you may get good results for a while then pooof,
it turns to smoke halfway throught a game, so to properly o/c it you
need to start off at a safe level of say 8 - 10% more than standard
and SLOWLY work up towards the 20% mark. This may take you a week to
find the limit or whether 20% is even safely attainable.. Perhaps 20%
is too high as a unoversal indicator,, perhaps not. Your guess..!!! Be
Safe..!!!

It isn't just a "set and forget" thing.. You should try 10% first. Run
it for a good few hours and check whether the games give any signs of
too much o/c'ing, like...

1. Actually slowing down because of excess heat generated, causing
things to grind to a halt as time goes on.

2. Graphics tearing. Your games images may look like a cracked or
broken mirror where the image actually comes apart. Very Bad sign..!!!

3. White dots appearing in a straight line where surfaces meet or
where one graphics meets another in the image. This may also be a less
than evil sign caused by many other things too, like drivers..

4. A kind of shimmering or miraging affect which makes the image seem
unstable - Because, that's what it will be - unstable..!!!

Use the nose too. If you start to notice a hot silicon smell as time
goes on then remember that something is causing it...

Now - How big-a-step to move up in... Good question..!!!

With so many mem/core speeds around and no real "known" way to try
out, I would first work out your 20% utter maximum e.g

500 (std) Mhz times 20% = 100.. That's 500 + 100 = 600 Mhz max..

Try starting at about 540 to 550Mhz then move up in say 10Mhz steps.
In other words, divide the adjustments from the 10% start point, to
the max point, into about 5 or 6 steps. The more the better, but, the
more, the longer it takes...

Other peopled may offer you more insight than what I can as I have
never dealth with speeds over about 600Mhz, but I think the method is
safe...

Good Luck... And - Remember "Slowly but Surely"...

Thanks for all your advice, guys. Really!!
Very much appreciated and I'll take your comments onboard.

paul