How to find replacement bios for a NEW Dell Optiplex 780 ?

I have found a bug in Dell's Bios. It will not allow me to boot to MSDOS. I need to do so, as I program a lot of proprietary software .

I get an error message saying "Windows file, HAL.DLL is corrupt."

That is ridiculous, as I am, trying to boot MSDOS 6.22, not Windows, from a SONY USB Floppy A:/ Drive. I have been a DOS BASIC programmer for many years.

Can you help me?

Sincerely,

BOB$$$
10 answers Last reply
More about find replacement bios dell optiplex
  1. You dont need a new BIOS, sounds like you need to reinstall DOS onto the floppy drive. Does it work in other computers? You may need ot change the boot order so it wont boot of the hard drive that is inside the computer (or just remove it)
  2. ^+1
  3. Snipergod87 said:
    You dont need a new BIOS, sounds like you need to reinstall DOS onto the floppy drive. Does it work in other computers? You may need ot change the boot order so it wont boot of the hard drive that is inside the computer (or just remove it)

Thanks for the reply.

I have done the DELL <F12> chooser "Select Startup". It still does the same thing. The USB floppy boots my ACER WIN 7 Laptop. However, when tried on my WIN 7 DELL Studio XPS Laptop, the same way as on the Optiplex, it gives the same error message.

Do you believe the DELL systems should be looking at a Windows file when trying to do a clean boot from MSDOS?
  4. Wouldn't it be easier just to use DOSBox, or run DOS in a Virtual Machine?
  5. Ijack said:
    Wouldn't it be easier just to use DOSBox, or run DOS in a Virtual Machine?

No.

I need the memory for multiple windows of Basic Programs.

It is easy to boot to DOS on other machines. Why do you think I am unanble to do this on the "Opti" 780?
  6. You can give a Virtual Machine as much memory as you want.

No idea why your Dell won't boot MS-DOS - but it is rather an old OS so it's quite possible that there's some hardware on the Dell that just doesn't work with it. Certainly many modern machines won't run Window 98.

Of course it could jsut be a BIOS setting. Have you enabled "Legacy USB support"?
  7. run as administrator...
  8. I agree with ijack here. Set up DOS in a virtual machine if you need to use it. You can assign as much ram to the virtual system as you like to accommodate whatever you are doing.
  9. The Virtual Machine is a cop out. Why try to build another problem?

The problem is that the Dell will not run any MSDOS disk commands in the "Dos Box" or in Windows. It seems to have an edited version of DOS.

I cannot run "chkdsk c: /f" at all. Running chkdsk with the "fix trigger" is impossible as the Dell only says it will run on the reboot...... WITHOUT THE "/F" Trigger. It will not run DOS "scandisk" at all.

It looks like Dell has substituted their own "chkdsk.exe" DOS command. It's impossible to run it on any other hard drive on the PC also. The "cmd chkdsk ("disk? /f " gives a message......" Chkdsk will run on reboot..." It will not run on the proper drive on reboot, only on C:.

That means to me they have messed with the DOS commands on the Optiplex 780.

On the Studio XPS Laptop, using WIN 7 Ultimate, the error message says, ".... can't run a "DOS BOX" cmd unless in "Elevated Mode".
    When in "Elevated Mode", the Studio XPS does the same as the Optiplex 780.
    The message says, " Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?"

The DELL BIOS, on <F12> nor on <F2>, offers no "Legacy" function.

Have any of you ever seen such?

Regards,

Bob$$$
  10. bobmoney said:
    The Virtual Machine is a cop out.

You're trying to run DOS on your computer. For some reason you can't. I don't know why, but I have offered a perfectly reasonable solution. If I needed to run DOS on my computer I'd try it. That's pragmatism, not a cop out.

It seems to me like you're more interested in trying to make your Dell do what you want rather than to actually solve your problem (i.e. run DOS). That's fair enough and I wish you luck with your research but I've no further suggestions to offer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration BIOS Dell Windows 7