I unplugged the fan on my fx5900 (no joke)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2004 2:54:16 AM

That thing was killin me.
Strapped a 120mm fan onto the front of the card. Now my temp reading is
higher (from 47C to 53C), but I can hear myself think.
And in CS or the UT2k4 demo it only creeps up to 67C or one degree more than
before. And I now have a fan controller inline so if I need/want to I can
move more air across, which I don't think I ever will.
Did I mention I can hear myself think?

System Configuration
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows XP
DirectX Version9.0b
CPUIntel Pentium 4 1595 MHz
FSB100 MHz
Memory1024 MB
Graphics ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce FX 5900
Driver NameNVIDIA GeForce FX 5900
Driver Version5.6.7.2
Video Memory128 MB
Core Clock301 MHz
Memory Clock851 MHz
Benchmark Settings
Program Version3DMark03 Revision 4 Build 0
Resolution1024x768@32 bit
Texture FilteringOptimal
Pixel Processing / AntialiasingNone
Post Processingfalse
Vertex ShadersOptimal
Main Test Results
3DMark Score4454 3DMarks
CPU Score357.0 CPUMarks

Comments/Suggestions?
April 19, 2004 10:28:47 AM

"ss" <assad@msn.com> wrote:
> That thing was killin me.
> Strapped a 120mm fan onto the front of the card. Now my temp reading is
> higher (from 47C to 53C), but I can hear myself think.
> And in CS or the UT2k4 demo it only creeps up to 67C or one degree more than
> before. And I now have a fan controller inline so if I need/want to I can
> move more air across, which I don't think I ever will.
> Did I mention I can hear myself think?
>
> System Configuration
> Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows XP
> DirectX Version9.0b
> CPUIntel Pentium 4 1595 MHz
> FSB100 MHz
> Memory1024 MB
> Graphics ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce FX 5900
> Driver NameNVIDIA GeForce FX 5900
> Driver Version5.6.7.2
> Video Memory128 MB
> Core Clock301 MHz
> Memory Clock851 MHz
> Benchmark Settings
> Program Version3DMark03 Revision 4 Build 0
> Resolution1024x768@32 bit
> Texture FilteringOptimal
> Pixel Processing / AntialiasingNone
> Post Processingfalse
> Vertex ShadersOptimal
> Main Test Results
> 3DMark Score4454 3DMarks
> CPU Score357.0 CPUMarks
>
> Comments/Suggestions?

Move to Iceland.
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 9:36:39 PM

because...
"Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "ss" <assad@msn.com> wrote:
> > That thing was killin me.
> > Strapped a 120mm fan onto the front of the card. Now my temp reading
is
> > higher (from 47C to 53C), but I can hear myself think.
> > And in CS or the UT2k4 demo it only creeps up to 67C or one degree more
than
> > before. And I now have a fan controller inline so if I need/want to I
can
> > move more air across, which I don't think I ever will.
> > Did I mention I can hear myself think?
> >
> > System Configuration
> > Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows XP
> > DirectX Version9.0b
> > CPUIntel Pentium 4 1595 MHz
> > FSB100 MHz
> > Memory1024 MB
> > Graphics ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce FX 5900
> > Driver NameNVIDIA GeForce FX 5900
> > Driver Version5.6.7.2
> > Video Memory128 MB
> > Core Clock301 MHz
> > Memory Clock851 MHz
> > Benchmark Settings
> > Program Version3DMark03 Revision 4 Build 0
> > Resolution1024x768@32 bit
> > Texture FilteringOptimal
> > Pixel Processing / AntialiasingNone
> > Post Processingfalse
> > Vertex ShadersOptimal
> > Main Test Results
> > 3DMark Score4454 3DMarks
> > CPU Score357.0 CPUMarks
> >
> > Comments/Suggestions?
>
> Move to Iceland.
Related resources
April 20, 2004 7:44:44 AM

"ss" <assad@msn.com> wrote:
> because...

You can remove even the heatsink when it reaches -25 in your ice-built cottage.

> "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "ss" <assad@msn.com> wrote:
> > > That thing was killin me.
> > > Strapped a 120mm fan onto the front of the card. Now my temp reading
> is
> > > higher (from 47C to 53C), but I can hear myself think.
> > > And in CS or the UT2k4 demo it only creeps up to 67C or one degree more
> than
> > > before. And I now have a fan controller inline so if I need/want to I
> can
> > > move more air across, which I don't think I ever will.
> > > Did I mention I can hear myself think?
> > >
> > > System Configuration
> > > Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows XP
> > > DirectX Version9.0b
> > > CPUIntel Pentium 4 1595 MHz
> > > FSB100 MHz
> > > Memory1024 MB
> > > Graphics ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce FX 5900
> > > Driver NameNVIDIA GeForce FX 5900
> > > Driver Version5.6.7.2
> > > Video Memory128 MB
> > > Core Clock301 MHz
> > > Memory Clock851 MHz
> > > Benchmark Settings
> > > Program Version3DMark03 Revision 4 Build 0
> > > Resolution1024x768@32 bit
> > > Texture FilteringOptimal
> > > Pixel Processing / AntialiasingNone
> > > Post Processingfalse
> > > Vertex ShadersOptimal
> > > Main Test Results
> > > 3DMark Score4454 3DMarks
> > > CPU Score357.0 CPUMarks
> > >
> > > Comments/Suggestions?
> >
> > Move to Iceland.
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 6:49:40 PM

A guy in Greenland did such once, just made a blowhole to the outside
of his house and connected the PC to it....

I tell ya...that lucky bastard had NO complaints about the sounds of
fans! :-p
!