Tethered EV-DO?

Last response: in Network Providers
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 11:45:28 AM

Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
access the Broadband network?

--
DD

More about : tethered

August 19, 2005 6:17:30 PM

Yes download a program called "Xmodem"
"Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
> access the Broadband network?
>
> --
> DD
August 19, 2005 7:02:37 PM

Error it's "Wmodem"
"Hal" <2x2l@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yes download a program called "Xmodem"
> "Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
>> access the Broadband network?
>>
>> --
>> DD

a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 7:50:07 PM

You can easily use Bluetooth on a Mac - no drivers required, no software
required. OSX required.....

Easy direction exist at this site:

http://stevenfettig.com/mythoughts/archives/000189.php

Works perfectly with both v710 and e815......

As for cable connect - there is an e815 version of Motorola phone
software....15 bucks on eBay. Verizon's MOK for v710 works.....

PC

On 8/19/05 11:17 AM, in article 6NidnZQbIfOxv5veRVn-uA@comcast.com, "Hal"
wrote:

> Yes download a program called "Xmodem"
> "Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
>> access the Broadband network?
>>
>> --
>> DD

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 7:52:40 PM

Ooooops - brain fart!

EVDO only on e815 as described - should have specified that v710 works the
same way, but only with National Access.....

Sorry for the error....

PC

On 8/19/05 3:50 PM, in article BF2BB02F.6031%nospam@nospam.com, "Proconsul"
wrote:

> You can easily use Bluetooth on a Mac - no drivers required, no software
> required. OSX required.....
>
> Easy direction exist at this site:
>
> http://stevenfettig.com/mythoughts/archives/000189.php
>
> Works perfectly with both v710 and e815......
>
> As for cable connect - there is an e815 version of Motorola phone
> software....15 bucks on eBay. Verizon's MOK for v710 works.....
>
> PC
>

> On 8/19/05 11:17 AM, in article 6NidnZQbIfOxv5veRVn-uA@comcast.com, "Hal"
> wrote:
>
>> Yes download a program called "Xmodem"
>> "Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
>>> access the Broadband network?
>>>
>>> --
>>> DD

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 11:02:58 PM

Actually a program called WMODEM which you download to your laptop and then
transfer over by activesync. You will also need a CDMA USB modem dialer for
the laptop. I did this for my desktop and it works fine. WMODEM can use a
variety of connection types (serial, USB, IR, Bluetooth) for the serial and
USB you will need the correct cables.

"Hal" <2x2l@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yes download a program called "Xmodem"
> "Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
>> access the Broadband network?
>>
>> --
>> DD

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2005 10:50:50 AM

>"Thomas Hance" <thom_h_97@att.com> wrote:

>> "Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
>>> access the Broadband network?
>>>
>>> --
>>> DD
>>
>"Hal" <2x2l@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Yes download a program called "Xmodem"

>Actually a program called WMODEM which you download to your laptop and then
>transfer over by activesync. You will also need a CDMA USB modem dialer for
>the laptop. I did this for my desktop and it works fine. WMODEM can use a
>variety of connection types (serial, USB, IR, Bluetooth) for the serial and
>USB you will need the correct cables.

Activesync? That sounds like a PDA.

--
DD
August 20, 2005 1:21:44 PM

Not sure what all this "download program" stuff is about. I use my 8000
tethered with a USB cable with the standard Windows XP dialup interface.

-Frank

"Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
> access the Broadband network?
>
> --
> DD
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2005 5:03:53 PM

Actually a Pocket PC/Phone Audiovox VX6600 w/ Verizon as ISP.

> <A long double quoted message snipped>

> Activesync? That sounds like a PDA.
>
> --
> DD
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 11:38:45 AM

>"Thomas Hance" <thom_h_97@att.com> wrote:

>"Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> <A long double quoted message snipped>
>

>> Activesync? That sounds like a PDA.
>>
>> --
>> DD

><top posting corrected> <g>

>"Thomas Hance" <thom_h_97@att.com> wrote:

>Actually a Pocket PC/Phone Audiovox VX6600 w/ Verizon as ISP.

Thanks.

That's why I asked if anybody has used "a Verizon phone" for EV-DO on a
laptop. It seems that nobody has. I'm not interested in another PDA.

--
DD
Anonymous

You are able to access the EV-DO Broadband network on your laptop with
your 8000?

What calling plan do you have?

What kind of throughput do you get?

Thanks.

--
DD

>"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote:

>Not sure what all this "download program" stuff is about. I use my 8000
>tethered with a USB cable with the standard Windows XP dialup interface.
>
>-Frank
>
>"Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
>> access the Broadband network?
>>
>> --
>> DD

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 1:11:48 PM

Dapper Dave wrote:

>>> "Thomas Hance" <thom_h_97@att.com> wrote:
>>

>> That's why I asked if anybody has used "a Verizon phone" for EV-DO
>> on a laptop. It seems that nobody has. I'm not interested in another
>> PDA.

In the interests of clarity, I suggested to you that you use bluetooth -
both on Macs and PCs. I have used EVDO since I bought my e815 successfuly.
No software is required. Connects are immediate and throughput seems to be
about the same you get with DSL - maybe a little slower, but it's pretty
fast, all things considered.....

Cable connection may be somewhat troublesome until Verizon issues a MOK for
EVDO capable phones.....

PC
August 21, 2005 1:43:12 PM

1) Yes
2) ACII Share 2-phone - No specific data plan - profile shows "Premier Ntwk
Access, Unlimited kb. I do have Mobile Web for $5.00/mo
3) ~400kbps Down - ~100kbps Up - Tested on DSLReports.com

-Frank

> You are able to access the EV-DO Broadband network on your laptop with
> your 8000?
>
> What calling plan do you have?
>
> What kind of throughput do you get?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> DD
>
>>"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote:
>
>>Not sure what all this "download program" stuff is about. I use my 8000
>>tethered with a USB cable with the standard Windows XP dialup interface.
>>
>>-Frank
>>
>>"Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
>>> access the Broadband network?
>>>
>>> --
>>> DD

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 2:09:55 PM

Yes - both cable and bluetooth.

"Dapper Dave" <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
> access the Broadband network?
>
> --
> DD
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 2:20:12 PM

Richard Ness <richard.no@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote:

| Yes - both cable and bluetooth.

Which software/drivers did you use to connect via cable?

PC
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 6:05:19 PM

I use MPT (Mobile Phone Tools purchased from VZW) and the
SKN6311B cable that came with. I had 2 other cables (SKN6311A(&B)
that actually work fine also, so I didn't really need to buy MPT, I could
have d'loaded it 'elsewhere' and used live update.

It is the below instructions that are the key to using this and other very
nice things to have. Links to needed drivers and other stuff is included. A
must read for anyone with an e815...

(hint: ## 342587 (## DIALUP)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=674803&hig...

http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/e815seem.html

http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710info.html

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Richard Ness <richard.no@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote:
>
> | Yes - both cable and bluetooth.
>
> Which software/drivers did you use to connect via cable?
>
> PC

August 21, 2005 7:18:24 PM

In article <vd0hg1tbg7kle3v1524c5d8kporgv6rk4q@4ax.com>,
expurgated@gmail.com says...

> That's why I asked if anybody has used "a Verizon phone" for EV-DO on a
> laptop. It seems that nobody has. I'm not interested in another PDA.

I did .... used cable from previous moto phone ... had to install USB
drivers (VERIZON or Motorola claim that they DO NOT provide drivers for
E815 and nothing like this exist).

AP
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 9:11:23 PM

Thanks....!

The devil is always in the details.....

PC

Richard Ness wrote:
>> I use MPT (Mobile Phone Tools purchased from VZW) and the
>> SKN6311B cable that came with. I had 2 other cables (SKN6311A(&B)
>> that actually work fine also, so I didn't really need to buy MPT, I
>> could have d'loaded it 'elsewhere' and used live update.
>>
>> It is the below instructions that are the key to using this and
>> other very nice things to have. Links to needed drivers and other
>> stuff is included. A must read for anyone with an e815...
>>
>> (hint: ## 342587 (## DIALUP)
>>

>> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=674803&hig...
>>
>> http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/e815seem.html
>>
>> http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710info.html
>>

>> "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message

>>> Which software/drivers did you use to connect via cable?
>>>
>>> PC
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 9:13:28 PM

Dapper Dave wrote:
> Has anybody successfully used a Verizon phone connected to a laptop to
> access the Broadband network?

I don't anyone with any sense will admit to having done that. :)

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 22, 2005 11:07:34 PM

> I don't anyone with any sense will admit to having done that. :)

So... can't figure it out eh....? LOL!

-Frank
!