Norton Internet Security 2003 problem

Last response: in Networking
August 11, 2005 2:39:51 PM

Hi,

(On Win2k Sp4)

I noticed that in the NIS 2003 options>liveupdate, liveupdate for
Intrusion detection is turned off. I tried to turn the checkmark on but
after closing and re-opening the options screen it remains unselected.
All the other options are OK.

I tried the article
"Failed to save settings. Please verify that your Windows account is
not restricted." when turning on Intrusion Detection

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/a1171f6644...

on Symantec support but it didn't solve the problem.

I also have Norton antivirus 2003 and the subscription for both is
still valid.

thanks
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:08:42 PM

by the way I have performed liveupdate several times until it reported
that all products are up to date.

thxs
August 12, 2005 12:08:36 AM

said ...

> I noticed that in the NIS 2003 options>liveupdate, liveupdate for
> Intrusion detection is turned off. I tried to turn the checkmark on but
> after closing and re-opening the options screen it remains unselected.
> All the other options are OK.

If you're talking about the option in automatic liveupdate to monitor
for new updates to intrusion detection I have exactly the same problem
with NIS 2004. I turn the option on but the next time I go into this
tab it's turned off again. monitoring for other updates (for personal
firewall, for example) remain selected as expected.

I have emailed symantec about it (via their web site) and the best I've
got so far is to suggest I ensure I am logged in as administrator (which
I am).
--
Sam
Related resources

Sam said ...
> said ...
> >
> > I noticed that in the NIS 2003 options>liveupdate, liveupdate for
> > Intrusion detection is turned off. I tried to turn the checkmark on but
> > after closing and re-opening the options screen it remains unselected.
> > All the other options are OK.
> >
> If you're talking about the option in automatic liveupdate to monitor
> for new updates to intrusion detection I have exactly the same problem
> with NIS 2004. I turn the option on but the next time I go into this
> tab it's turned off again. monitoring for other updates (for personal
> firewall, for example) remain selected as expected.
>
> I have emailed symantec about it (via their web site) and the best I've
> got so far is to suggest I ensure I am logged in as administrator (which
> I am).

So can anyone help with this? I have ascertained that the intrusion
detection updates really are not being monitored for by automatic
liveupdate - so it's not just that this option *appears* to be de-
selected. Antivirus updates were automatically downloaded this week but
when I did a manual LU on Friday, there were Intrusion Detection updates
waiting to download.
--
Sam
August 14, 2005 10:54:54 PM

Sam said ...
> Sam said ...
> > said ...
> > >
> > > I noticed that in the NIS 2003 options>liveupdate, liveupdate for
> > > Intrusion detection is turned off. I tried to turn the checkmark on but
> > > after closing and re-opening the options screen it remains unselected.
> > > All the other options are OK.
> > >
> > If you're talking about the option in automatic liveupdate to monitor
> > for new updates to intrusion detection I have exactly the same problem
> > with NIS 2004. I turn the option on but the next time I go into this
> > tab it's turned off again. monitoring for other updates (for personal
> > firewall, for example) remain selected as expected.
> >
> > I have emailed symantec about it (via their web site) and the best I've
> > got so far is to suggest I ensure I am logged in as administrator (which
> > I am).
> >
> So can anyone help with this? I have ascertained that the intrusion
> detection updates really are not being monitored for by automatic
> liveupdate - so it's not just that this option *appears* to be de-
> selected. Antivirus updates were automatically downloaded this week but
> when I did a manual LU on Friday, there were Intrusion Detection updates
> waiting to download.

Symantec have suggested their usual remedy ... " this issue may happen
if some program files are corrupted. In order to resolve this issue, I
recommend that you uninstall Norton Internet Security (NIS), perform a
cleanboot and then reinstall. "

Annoying, not least since this happened after a recent reinstall to
resolve a different problem (it did resolve that problem)!!
--
Sam
Anonymous

Sam wrote:

> Symantec have suggested their usual remedy ... " this issue may happen
> if some program files are corrupted. In order to resolve this issue, I
> recommend that you uninstall Norton Internet Security (NIS), perform a
> cleanboot and then reinstall. "
>
> Annoying, not least since this happened after a recent reinstall to
> resolve a different problem (it did resolve that problem)!!
> --
> Sam

I don't think this issue has anything to do with corrupted files in our
end.
my nis2003 installation is a fresh one after installing win2k the first
time on a new hard drive. I did notice, that while doing liveupdate the
first time,
it failed to download all the updates with some error that liveupdate
didn't complete all updates and to run it again-I rebooted and ran it
again, three times until it sais everything is liveupdated.

perhaps the current symantec liveupdate filed are not completely
backward compatible with NIS 2003/4 any more.

thanx
August 16, 2005 6:22:53 PM

said ...

> Sam wrote:
>

> > Symantec have suggested their usual remedy ... " this issue may happen
> > if some program files are corrupted. In order to resolve this issue, I
> > recommend that you uninstall Norton Internet Security (NIS), perform a
> > cleanboot and then reinstall. "
> >
> > Annoying, not least since this happened after a recent reinstall to
> > resolve a different problem (it did resolve that problem)!!
> > --
> > Sam
>
> I don't think this issue has anything to do with corrupted files in our
> end.
> my nis2003 installation is a fresh one after installing win2k the first
> time on a new hard drive. I did notice, that while doing liveupdate the
> first time,
> it failed to download all the updates with some error that liveupdate
> didn't complete all updates and to run it again-I rebooted and ran it
> again, three times until it sais everything is liveupdated.
>
> perhaps the current symantec liveupdate filed are not completely
> backward compatible with NIS 2003/4 any more.
>
> thanx

Maybe not. I did reinstall and the same problem was there. I have now
removed NIS from my system and have returned to using Zonealarm free
version and eTrust AV (free for a year). The system boots up incredibly
much more swiftly!
--
Sam
Anonymous

Sam wrote:

> > perhaps the current symantec liveupdate filed are not completely
> > backward compatible with NIS 2003/4 any more.
> >
> > thanx
> >

> Maybe not. I did reinstall and the same problem was there. I have now
> removed NIS from my system and have returned to using Zonealarm free
> version and eTrust AV (free for a year). The system boots up incredibly
> much more swiftly!
> --
> Sam

The main reason I am using norton products is that I have several
computers in a peer to peer network (no domain server) and only 2 of
them have an internet connection. With norton I can set up one of them
as a liveupdate server, to download all the virus and product updates
and the other computers download it over my netowrk without needing to
connect to the internet.
It took me so long to get this method working completely that I am
reluctant to try it on some other product.
!