Newbie GeForceFX 5200 Installation

Tristan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Hi, I've just installed a GeForceFX 5200 into my XP Pro machine, but cannot
seem to get a signal through to the monitor whilst running XP.
When starting the machine, I see the usual boot stuff, then XP boots (black
screen with blue moving timeline) - but the monitor powers down just before
the blue XP Welcome screen.
I know it's not the monitor as I've tried a couple of different ones.
Do I need to disable something in the existing setup, i.e. the build in
video card on the motherboard?
Am I missing something or am I just being stupid?
Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Tristan

Do I need to disable something in the existing setup, i.e. the build in
video card on the motherboard?
you got it disable the onboard. its more than likly agp and the new card is
agp you cant get 2 agp cards working in the same sys.

just go in to bios and disable the built in video.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Tristan" wrote in message
> Hi, I've just installed a GeForceFX 5200 into my XP Pro machine, but
cannot
> seem to get a signal through to the monitor whilst running XP.
> When starting the machine, I see the usual boot stuff, then XP boots
(black
> screen with blue moving timeline) - but the monitor powers down just
before
> the blue XP Welcome screen.
> I know it's not the monitor as I've tried a couple of different ones.
> Do I need to disable something in the existing setup, i.e. the build in
> video card on the motherboard?
> Am I missing something or am I just being stupid?
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Tristan

If you have onboard video on your motherboard you have to disable it in the
BIOS before you can use a separate video card.

--
DaveW

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:03:33 +0000 (UTC), "Tristan" wrote:

>Hi, I've just installed a GeForceFX 5200 into my XP Pro machine, but cannot
>seem to get a signal through to the monitor whilst running XP.
>When starting the machine, I see the usual boot stuff, then XP boots (black
>screen with blue moving timeline) - but the monitor powers down just before
>the blue XP Welcome screen.
>I know it's not the monitor as I've tried a couple of different ones.
>Do I need to disable something in the existing setup, i.e. the build in
>video card on the motherboard?
>Am I missing something or am I just being stupid?
>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Regards
>
>Tristan

Somehow, I don't think you've given the "whole" story here...

I think that maybe you need to tell us EXACTLY how you installed this
new card. You need to give details of how you went about it.. It may
well be that you didn't uninstall an older set of drivers or a profile
from the last card, or, something similar.. It may wel be too that the
card has compatability issues with your motherboard or with Windows or
something within Windows - maybe a virus bootup detector or
something..

Give details of your system.. Motherboard, BIOS, HDD's, the previous
graphics card - and anything which comes into play for the bootup
sequence (I know that means the "whole" PC, but you know what I
mean)... Have you done something to the BIOS settings recently..???

If you can get partially into a bootup then have it stop, then it
sounds like a setting or something that has to be altered rather than
a hardware fault...

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode..??? This may be a clue too. If
you "can" boot into Safe Mode, you will definitely know it is a driver
or a setting..

That "black screen with the timeline",, which is white on mine NOT
blue,, usually happens while the system is detecting hardware, usually
IDE drives etc so it may be a port or IRQ conflict too... I had the
same timline appear suddenly when I installed a new CD-ROM drive. One
minute it wasn't there, then I changed CD-ROM drives, then it was
there. It never affected the bootup one bit but when I disconnected
the drive it went away and I reconnected it again and there it was, so
there is plenty of room for thought here...

I had similar problems like this a few months ago but I wont go into
that as it may well be that your problem is not even related. It does,
however, show that some problems "Do" exist...