Hard Drive on GAteway E-4650

Right now I have a 40gig and a 80gig drive on the machine. I can use the 80
on another machine and I have a 120gig that I wondered if I could use it on
the current machine along with the 40gig.

Thanks,
Jack

--
Email no good, reply to group
7 answers Last reply

    Yes, without problem.

    "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
    > Right now I have a 40gig and a 80gig drive on the machine. I can use the
    80
    > on another machine and I have a 120gig that I wondered if I could use it
    on
    > the current machine along with the 40gig.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jack
    >
    > --
    > Email no good, reply to group

    Thanks Ed. Now another question comes up. I am looking at a Gateway 710X
    machine that has a serial drive on it. Can or how do you add another
    internal drive to it?

    Thanks

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, without problem.
    >

    > "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
    >> Right now I have a 40gig and a 80gig drive on the machine. I can use the
    > 80
    >> on another machine and I have a 120gig that I wondered if I could use it
    > on
    >> the current machine along with the 40gig.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jack
    >>
    >> --
    >> Email no good, reply to group

    Looks like it has two SATA controllers, so if you want to add a SATA drive,
    you'll need the drive and cable.

    Check the power supply to see if it has SATA power connectors - if it
    doesn't, buy a drive as a retail kit which will come with the necessary
    converter.

    > Thanks Ed. Now another question comes up. I am looking at a Gateway 710X
    > machine that has a serial drive on it. Can or how do you add another
    > internal drive to it?

    Thanks very much Ed.

    Always enjoy and appreciate your input!

    Jack

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Looks like it has two SATA controllers, so if you want to add a SATA
    > drive,
    > you'll need the drive and cable.
    >
    > Check the power supply to see if it has SATA power connectors - if it
    > doesn't, buy a drive as a retail kit which will come with the necessary
    > converter.
    >

    > "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Ed. Now another question comes up. I am looking at a Gateway
    >> 710X
    >> machine that has a serial drive on it. Can or how do you add another
    >> internal drive to it?

    Just a follow up. I just looked a friends 710 that has the SATA drive and
    the power connectors look just like the ones used on a IDE drive. They
    don't seem to have any different configuration and are bundled within the
    harness of the other power cables. Are they all the same?

    Thanks

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Looks like it has two SATA controllers, so if you want to add a SATA
    > drive,
    > you'll need the drive and cable.
    >
    > Check the power supply to see if it has SATA power connectors - if it
    > doesn't, buy a drive as a retail kit which will come with the necessary
    > converter.
    >

    > "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Ed. Now another question comes up. I am looking at a Gateway
    >> 710X
    >> machine that has a serial drive on it. Can or how do you add another
    >> internal drive to it?

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Many SATA drives have the standard 4-pin Molex connectors common to PATA
    drives. Some new ones do not - if the drive you buy doesn't have that, and
    the power supply doesn't have a SATA connector, you can order a power
    converter for about $2 with a drive (or get a retail kit which should come
    with one).

    > Just a follow up. I just looked a friends 710 that has the SATA drive and
    > the power connectors look just like the ones used on a IDE drive. They
    > don't seem to have any different configuration and are bundled within the
    > harness of the other power cables. Are they all the same?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Thanks again!

    > Many SATA drives have the standard 4-pin Molex connectors common to PATA
    > drives. Some new ones do not - if the drive you buy doesn't have that,
    > and
    > the power supply doesn't have a SATA connector, you can order a power
    > converter for about $2 with a drive (or get a retail kit which should come
    > with one).
    >

    > "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Just a follow up. I just looked a friends 710 that has the SATA drive
    >> and
    >> the power connectors look just like the ones used on a IDE drive. They
    >> don't seem to have any different configuration and are bundled within the
    >> harness of the other power cables. Are they all the same?

Gateway Hard Drives Computers