Is this a remanufactured unit??

I ordered a new Gateway 7200xl about 2 months ago. When I recieved the
computer, a monitor arrived that was black in color. The monitor that I had
paid extra for (19 inch lcd) was suppose to be silveer, which is what I
wanted. I wrote my salesman and he agreed to send the silver one to
replace the black one. I let it be known that I would not accept anything
remanufactured and was assured that the silver monitor would be new.

I recieved the silver monitor yesteerday. It arrived in a plain brown box
as opposed to the usual gateway, black and white spotted cow box. It has a
return address of Gateway C O Service Electric Inc in Dallas Texas. The
unit inside appears to be new, with new cables, books etc but I really have
no way of knowing.

I have been lied to on numerous times by Gateway with regards to this
computer purchase. (This will definately be my last Gateway). I dont trust
these people at all. How can I be sure this is not a remanyufactured
unit.??

Thanks in advance.

Disgruntled with Gateway in Texas
11 answers Last reply
More about remanufactured unit

    mab,

    Well, GW's repair center is in Texas, so that's a clue right there. In the past,
    I have insisted on a new replacement (due to an order foulup), and it always
    came in the spotted cow box....never a plain-looking box. I would be leery
    of that monitor.

    Scott

    mab wrote:

    > I ordered a new Gateway 7200xl about 2 months ago. When I recieved the
    > computer, a monitor arrived that was black in color. The monitor that I had
    > paid extra for (19 inch lcd) was suppose to be silveer, which is what I
    > wanted. I wrote my salesman and he agreed to send the silver one to
    > replace the black one. I let it be known that I would not accept anything
    > remanufactured and was assured that the silver monitor would be new.
    >
    > I recieved the silver monitor yesteerday. It arrived in a plain brown box
    > as opposed to the usual gateway, black and white spotted cow box. It has a
    > return address of Gateway C O Service Electric Inc in Dallas Texas. The
    > unit inside appears to be new, with new cables, books etc but I really have
    > no way of knowing.
    >
    > I have been lied to on numerous times by Gateway with regards to this
    > computer purchase. (This will definately be my last Gateway). I dont trust
    > these people at all. How can I be sure this is not a remanyufactured
    > unit.??
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Disgruntled with Gateway in Texas

    One indication would be to check the manufacturing date on the back of the
    monitor. If the manufacturing date is recent (say within 3 to 6 months), and
    the sticker with the manufacturing date looks like it was not pasted on by hand,
    you probably have a new monitor... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:25:03 GMT, "mab" <ihgf@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I ordered a new Gateway 7200xl about 2 months ago. When I recieved the
    >computer, a monitor arrived that was black in color. The monitor that I had
    >paid extra for (19 inch lcd) was suppose to be silveer, which is what I
    >wanted. I wrote my salesman and he agreed to send the silver one to
    >replace the black one. I let it be known that I would not accept anything
    >remanufactured and was assured that the silver monitor would be new.
    >
    >I recieved the silver monitor yesteerday. It arrived in a plain brown box
    >as opposed to the usual gateway, black and white spotted cow box. It has a
    >return address of Gateway C O Service Electric Inc in Dallas Texas. The
    >unit inside appears to be new, with new cables, books etc but I really have
    >no way of knowing.
    >
    >I have been lied to on numerous times by Gateway with regards to this
    >computer purchase. (This will definately be my last Gateway). I dont trust
    >these people at all. How can I be sure this is not a remanyufactured
    >unit.??
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Disgruntled with Gateway in Texas

    Just to let you all know,--------thanks to your input, they admitted that
    they had sent me a "exchange/remanufactured unit. Beware of the new
    Gateway. They will lie, lie, then lie again to you. Supposidly they are
    now sending me a brand new monitor. I will believe it when i see it.

    "mab" <ihgf@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I ordered a new Gateway 7200xl about 2 months ago. When I recieved the
    >computer, a monitor arrived that was black in color. The monitor that I
    >had paid extra for (19 inch lcd) was suppose to be silveer, which is what I
    >wanted. I wrote my salesman and he agreed to send the silver one to
    >replace the black one. I let it be known that I would not accept anything
    >remanufactured and was assured that the silver monitor would be new.
    >
    > I recieved the silver monitor yesteerday. It arrived in a plain brown box
    > as opposed to the usual gateway, black and white spotted cow box. It has
    > a return address of Gateway C O Service Electric Inc in Dallas Texas. The
    > unit inside appears to be new, with new cables, books etc but I really
    > have no way of knowing.
    >
    > I have been lied to on numerous times by Gateway with regards to this
    > computer purchase. (This will definately be my last Gateway). I dont
    > trust these people at all. How can I be sure this is not a
    > remanyufactured unit.??
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Disgruntled with Gateway in Texas

    You might have been better off to keep what you had if it was in new
    appearing shape and had the full warranty. The new, new one has had one
    or two less inspections and may have more display faults, which if they
    are less than the permissible number WILL NOT be replaced.

    The old Gateway would lie to you too, but they were better at covering
    their ass.

    GW got in an immense amount of trouble with the FTC over the new
    vs.reman issue and then went overboard to ensure all new product was in
    fact new. I see that has gone by the wayside. The FTC no longer cares
    because the Bush Administration has told them to lay off business,
    which unless they sell something the Administration doesn't like,
    usually can do no wrong.

    On 21 Dec 2004 19:11:02 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:

    >You might have been better off to keep what you had if it was in new
    >appearing shape and had the full warranty. The new, new one has had one
    >or two less inspections and may have more display faults, which if they
    >are less than the permissible number WILL NOT be replaced.
    >
    >The old Gateway would lie to you too, but they were better at covering
    >their ass.
    >
    >GW got in an immense amount of trouble with the FTC over the new
    >vs.reman issue and then went overboard to ensure all new product was in
    >fact new. I see that has gone by the wayside. The FTC no longer cares
    >because the Bush Administration has told them to lay off business,
    >which unless they sell something the Administration doesn't like,
    >usually can do no wrong.

    I bet a whole lot of money you can't back that up.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    "Who let the Dog out" <richbrown89@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On 21 Dec 2004 19:11:02 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >You might have been better off to keep what you had if it was in new
    > >appearing shape and had the full warranty. The new, new one has had
    one
    > >or two less inspections and may have more display faults, which if
    they
    > >are less than the permissible number WILL NOT be replaced.
    > >
    > >The old Gateway would lie to you too, but they were better at
    covering
    > >their ass.
    > >
    > >GW got in an immense amount of trouble with the FTC over the new
    > >vs.reman issue and then went overboard to ensure all new product was
    in
    > >fact new. I see that has gone by the wayside. The FTC no longer cares
    > >because the Bush Administration has told them to lay off business,
    > >which unless they sell something the Administration doesn't like,
    > >usually can do no wrong.
    >
    > I bet a whole lot of money you can't back that up.

    Which part. The Gateway using used parts and getting stepped on for it?
    That I know was true since it made lot's of noise and made people wonder
    about other manufacturers as well. IIRC it was because Gateway actually
    re-used "tested good" parts out of returned and refused computers to
    build machines that were sold as new. Now those parts are placed on a
    shelf and sent out as repair parts. Just like most of the others do.

    Or that the FTC no longer cares? (That part is easy to check, look at
    the companies that have been hit with BIG fines for breaking the law).

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Steve W. wrote:
    > "Who let the Dog out" <richbrown89@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > On 21 Dec 2004 19:11:02 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > >You might have been better off to keep what you had if it was in
    new
    > > >appearing shape and had the full warranty. The new, new one has
    had
    > one
    > > >or two less inspections and may have more display faults, which if
    > they
    > > >are less than the permissible number WILL NOT be replaced.
    > > >
    > > >The old Gateway would lie to you too, but they were better at
    > covering
    > > >their ass.
    > > >
    > > >GW got in an immense amount of trouble with the FTC over the new
    > > >vs.reman issue and then went overboard to ensure all new product
    was
    > in
    > > >fact new. I see that has gone by the wayside. The FTC no longer
    cares
    > > >because the Bush Administration has told them to lay off business,
    > > >which unless they sell something the Administration doesn't like,
    > > >usually can do no wrong.
    > >
    > > I bet a whole lot of money you can't back that up.
    > >

    > Which part. The Gateway using used parts and getting stepped on for
    it?
    > That I know was true since it made lot's of noise and made people
    wonder
    > about other manufacturers as well. IIRC it was because Gateway
    actually
    > re-used "tested good" parts out of returned and refused computers to
    > build machines that were sold as new. Now those parts are placed on a
    > shelf and sent out as repair parts. Just like most of the others do.
    >

    > Or that the FTC no longer cares? (That part is easy to check, look at
    > the companies that have been hit with BIG fines for breaking the
    law).

    They will definitely enforce the law...when their nose is stuck in it
    by someone with a lot of pull. My guess is it was Dell. Look at all the
    consumer product manufacturers who defied the law on repair parts
    openly for years (pretty much all the TV and stereo companies.) TV
    repairmen were small fish and most of them were a little nuts anyway,
    so the law was never seriously enforced.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Butch Davis?

    "Who let the Dog out"
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    "Allan9" wrote in message ..
    > Butch Davis?
    >
    > "Who let the Dog out"

    No, the dogs let Butch Davis out!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Just when I thought this nightmare was over........ After Gateway admitted
    that they had senyt me a remanufactured/exchange unit, after they agreed to
    send be a NEW monitor, (which I have reiceved) and after informing them that
    in their return directions of the old monitor did not include the UPS return
    label, they have suddenly stopped all comminication with me again after
    requesting them to send me this label. I have writtten to my original
    salesman (Chris Mallo), his Supervisor Steve Sheridan, (who supposidly was
    going to straighten thsis all out, and I thought had). SUddenly again no
    answers to emails, phone callss, etc. This is the most pathetic company I
    have seen in a long while. You make up your own mind on this business, I
    have made mine.

    Pissed off in South Texas
    <calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You might have been better off to keep what you had if it was in new
    > appearing shape and had the full warranty. The new, new one has had one
    > or two less inspections and may have more display faults, which if they
    > are less than the permissible number WILL NOT be replaced.
    >
    > The old Gateway would lie to you too, but they were better at covering
    > their ass.
    >
    > GW got in an immense amount of trouble with the FTC over the new
    > vs.reman issue and then went overboard to ensure all new product was in
    > fact new. I see that has gone by the wayside. The FTC no longer cares
    > because the Bush Administration has told them to lay off business,
    > which unless they sell something the Administration doesn't like,
    > usually can do no wrong.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    If you provided Gateway with a credit card number as security for sending your
    replacement monitor or otherwise, call your bank right away and refuse to accept
    any charge on your credit card. If Gateway has already charged your credit
    card, then call your bank and tell them you refuse to accept the charge, fill
    out any necessary paperwork required by the bank to document the dispute, and
    wait for Gateway to call you. Hitting them in the pocketbook where it hurts
    always gets attention... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:20:40 GMT, "mab" <ihgf@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Just when I thought this nightmare was over........ After Gateway admitted
    >that they had senyt me a remanufactured/exchange unit, after they agreed to
    >send be a NEW monitor, (which I have reiceved) and after informing them that
    >in their return directions of the old monitor did not include the UPS return
    >label, they have suddenly stopped all comminication with me again after
    >requesting them to send me this label. I have writtten to my original
    >salesman (Chris Mallo), his Supervisor Steve Sheridan, (who supposidly was
    >going to straighten thsis all out, and I thought had). SUddenly again no
    >answers to emails, phone callss, etc. This is the most pathetic company I
    >have seen in a long while. You make up your own mind on this business, I
    >have made mine.
    >
    >Pissed off in South Texas
    ><calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You might have been better off to keep what you had if it was in new
    >> appearing shape and had the full warranty. The new, new one has had one
    >> or two less inspections and may have more display faults, which if they
    >> are less than the permissible number WILL NOT be replaced.
    >>
    >> The old Gateway would lie to you too, but they were better at covering
    >> their ass.
    >>
    >> GW got in an immense amount of trouble with the FTC over the new
    >> vs.reman issue and then went overboard to ensure all new product was in
    >> fact new. I see that has gone by the wayside. The FTC no longer cares
    >> because the Bush Administration has told them to lay off business,
    >> which unless they sell something the Administration doesn't like,
    >> usually can do no wrong.

Gateway Monitors Computers