EA Explains Why Crysis 2 Was Pulled from Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I Would like to know what happened to the crysis 2 players on steam though. Are they still able to play their game? Were they refunded? or were they left out..

mrmoo500

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]moonshire[/nom]I Would like to know what happened to the crysis 2 players on steam though. Are they still able to play their game? Were they refunded? or were they left out..[/citation]

I have Crysis 2 through steam and nothing has appeared to change. I still get the updates, online access, and everything else. If I hadn't seen the news articles I would of never known it was pulled.

mortifera142

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
look EA....I love what you guys did with the published series battlefield and the works on bf3, but listen if you want bf3 to available to the pc market, valve/steam owns the pc market and your going to have to get over that and allow us gamers to enjoy the full extent of bf3, and no we will not use origin.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
This article doesn't clearly cover what the disagreement was over. Steam wants to manage DLC on their own, but EA/Crytek did something different with Crysis 2 and wanted to manage the DLC themselves. This went aaginst Steams agreement they have with supported tittles and pulled the plug over this decision.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Crysis pissed off allot of players because of their lack of PC support so no biggie regarding steam. Perhaps an EA pushing out the game too soon but either way it was not ready for PC at launch and required a huge separate patch to get the game PC worthy.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I bet EA does not have the consumers best interest at heart, whereas Steam does. Steam saves, and provides users with a dialog to past the CD key and provides description when there are other limitations (install limits, monthly or ingame fees, etc). I am betting that there is some inherent DRM limitation (via patches and such). Somehow, I trust Steam to be more open, where there has to be more to what this EA PR representative is saying.

G

I dont get it, what limitations? Lots of text, but nothing is really said. We can buy GFWL games on steam (for example bioshock2), and updates/DLCs are handled seperately from steam (via live client). So this magical Valve control over steam games seams like a big fat lie.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Did anyone else catch how EA is complaining that Steam, a distribution platform, is behaving like a distribution platform? A couple tricky PR statements tried to make Steam look like they've done something horrible, and that their system is inadequate. In reality, the way EA wants to control Crysis 2 is what is incompatible.
Here's what EA really said, in layman's terms: "We violated Steam's TOS and got spanked for it. That's ok though, because we want to control you more than Steam will allow."

G

Wow, that's the longest way I've ever seen to spell "we're a sack of useless dicks".

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I really could care less about Crysis 2 being pulled from steam. H hear alot of people saying that they wont buy any games besides though steam. Well I did something a few weeks ago that may come as a surprise. I bought Fallout New Vegas on D2D and once they e-mailed me the CD key I went to steam and gave them the key and steam accepted it as a valid CD key for Fallout NV. Steam asked if I wanted to start downloading it and of course I did. Now during the Summer camp sale I bought the first two DLC for Fallout NV and everything went fine nothing hiccuped so if D2D has a sale on a game you want to you want it though Steam then there is nothing stopping you from using Steam

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
[citation][nom]moonshire[/nom]I Would like to know what happened to the crysis 2 players on steam though. Are they still able to play their game? Were they refunded? or were they left out..[/citation]

I beat the game before this happened (dissapointed with SP) and the multiplayer didn't interest me I will have to fire it up and see if it still works on both!

Edit: Oh someone already beat me to it ha ha looks like everything is still working on mine too!

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmoo500[/nom]I have Crysis 2 through steam and nothing has appeared to change. I still get the updates, online access, and everything else. If I hadn't seen the news articles I would of never known it was pulled.[/citation]
So you got the DirectX11 and High Res Texture updates?

lolyumadbro

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
I am HIGHLY less likely to download more programs, just to download my games. The only reason Steam gets my business is because it's quicker/more convenient than you know what, and they offer badass sales.

EA can kiss it.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]bitemecrytek[/nom]Wow, that's the longest way I've ever seen to spell "we're a sack of useless dicks".[/citation]

Almost peed myself I was laughing so hard, Don't do that again.....

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Good riddance EA.

From David DeMartini's own post, "My new role means that I’m involved in shaping EA’s policies for how players download our online games and services..."

So how's that working out for you, Dave?

I had to read his post twice just to fully appreciate the amount of spin, buzzword bingo, vagueness, and weasel-speak.

Stop being douches EA, just stop being douches.

Steam is a complete platform that also gives updates (don't know how it works though, agreements wise) and you guys telling them they can't, it's just stupid.

Cheers!

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Well, I know I will sound like the lone dissident against Steam here, but I don't like them. I wanted to get Fallout New Vegas, not online, but an actual DVD from Target. However, to play it i HAVE to have a Steam account and logon to Steam to play. Why? Why must I use this "distribution service" for a single player game when I didn't get it from this service?

And what is wrong with EA wanting to control how content for THEIR game is distributed instead of another, competing publisher in Valve? Let's face it, EA and all these other companies made a huge mistake by getting into business with something that is owned by a competitor. It will end up in the consumer getting hurt.

I know when I bought Dragon Age I did so off the EA Store. My download was identical to what was on the CD. A friend of mine bought his off Steam. It was not the same as what a person would have gotten off a CD and he had issues that were different because there was differences in install and setup items. He got them cleared up, but in doing the research to find the fixes, it was indeed clear that there were differences between the versions.

It's really disturbing how people criticize content makers wanting control of their content rather than a competitor controlling their content.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Did anyone else catch how EA is complaining that Steam, a distribution platform, is behaving like a distribution platform? A couple tricky PR statements tried to make Steam look like they've done something horrible, and that their system is inadequate. In reality, the way EA wants to control Crysis 2 is what is incompatible.Here's what EA really said, in layman's terms: "We violated Steam's TOS and got spanked for it. That's ok though, because we want to control you more than Steam will allow."[/citation]
Is EA not the publisher of Steam? How is it wrong for the publisher of Crysis 2 to want to control how content that they publish and own gets ditributed? Why should Valve, a competitor, get to say how other companies get to do business?

I'm sorry, all I see in your post is how Valve, a competitor, should be the one to decide how content is distributed for EA games. Please explain why that should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.