Video Problem

I seem to be having a problem with my system lately and it's driving
me crazy. For the past two days my monitor has started to blink and
make a clicking sounds, exactly as if it were changing resolutions.
It does this over and over until my pc locks up and I have to reboot.
It will do it at random times, from playing a game to surfing the net,
to just booting the system. Then it will be fine for a few hours and
it starts all over. I'm using a GeForce 4 TI 4200 and it's worked
flawlessly for over a year, as well as my 2 year old monitor. I've
tried changing resolutions and refresh rates and I've even rolled back
my drivers as well as installing a previous version. If I need to buy
another video card, so be it as it's time to upgrade. I'm worried
that it may not be a problem with the video card and could be the
monitor or even the motherboard so I don't want to go out and get a
new card and that not fix the problem. Any suggestions at all?
Thanks in advance!

What type of system do you have? Have you added any hardware,software or
updates recently?
"Orrin Kinion" <okinion@mindless.com> wrote in message
> I seem to be having a problem with my system lately and it's driving
> me crazy. For the past two days my monitor has started to blink and
> make a clicking sounds, exactly as if it were changing resolutions.
> It does this over and over until my pc locks up and I have to reboot.
> It will do it at random times, from playing a game to surfing the net,
> to just booting the system. Then it will be fine for a few hours and
> it starts all over. I'm using a GeForce 4 TI 4200 and it's worked
> flawlessly for over a year, as well as my 2 year old monitor. I've
> tried changing resolutions and refresh rates and I've even rolled back
> my drivers as well as installing a previous version. If I need to buy
> another video card, so be it as it's time to upgrade. I'm worried
> that it may not be a problem with the video card and could be the
> monitor or even the motherboard so I don't want to go out and get a
> new card and that not fix the problem. Any suggestions at all?
> Thanks in advance!

anybody

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2002

That sounds like either your moniter or software ya, you try using something
to remove all your old vid drivers, or run repair if you use XP? Or more
easy, have you tried your moniter on another system, or your vidcard on
another system?

"Orrin Kinion" <okinion@mindless.com> wrote in message
> I seem to be having a problem with my system lately and it's driving
> me crazy. For the past two days my monitor has started to blink and
> make a clicking sounds, exactly as if it were changing resolutions.
> It does this over and over until my pc locks up and I have to reboot.
> It will do it at random times, from playing a game to surfing the net,
> to just booting the system. Then it will be fine for a few hours and
> it starts all over. I'm using a GeForce 4 TI 4200 and it's worked
> flawlessly for over a year, as well as my 2 year old monitor. I've
> tried changing resolutions and refresh rates and I've even rolled back
> my drivers as well as installing a previous version. If I need to buy
> another video card, so be it as it's time to upgrade. I'm worried
> that it may not be a problem with the video card and could be the
> monitor or even the motherboard so I don't want to go out and get a
> new card and that not fix the problem. Any suggestions at all?
> Thanks in advance!

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sounds like the fly back transformer in the monitor is on it's way out. When
that goes it is not worth repairing. I had a monitor do the same thing for a
year, then on day I had a lot of arcing inside and a burning smell and the
picture went black for ever. The sound you are hearing might be a small arc
in the transformer. Does the power light turn on and off on the monitor. If
this is the case then you might have a problem in the low voltage power
supply circuit of the monitor. You may have a component slowly starting to
fail. It could be the video card if the system locks up. I have a gforce
ultra lock up on me one day while I was playing a game and when it went
again the next time my monitor went into a no signal mode then when I tried
to reboot the card was dead. The fan on the board would not even spin. I
think the voltage regulator on the board went. If you have another video
card I would try it and if it does it with the other card I would suspect
the monitor.

Homer