Feeling inadequate...

.... as i'm sure everyone does about their machine every so often :)

I am currently running an Athlon XP 2600+ TB at an FSB of 179MHz x12.5
(2.24GHz- Sandra clocks it somewhere above an Athlon 3200), 512Mb of
unbranded DDR2700, a GF4 Ti4600 Golden Sample and a woefully old 20Gb HDD
(access times closer to a 3.5" FDD than a Raptor RAID array :-( )... and I
just heard about Far Cry.

Boohoo...

Any chance my system will get half-decent frame rates? As a GF4 owner I
think i'm probably wise enough to be careful with the amount of AA and AF I
use, but I don't want to be selling the game short by playing at 800x600
with everything firmly set at "low" (as I did on Halo when I had an ATI
9600SE).

--
- Martin Francis

"Two hundred channels, and nothing but cats"
- Jasper

"Martin Francis" <removethisbeforeyoureplytoMcsalty@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<c6bodn$d9p$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> ... as i'm sure everyone does about their machine every so often :)
>
> I am currently running an Athlon XP 2600+ TB at an FSB of 179MHz x12.5
> (2.24GHz- Sandra clocks it somewhere above an Athlon 3200), 512Mb of
> unbranded DDR2700, a GF4 Ti4600 Golden Sample and a woefully old 20Gb HDD
> (access times closer to a 3.5" FDD than a Raptor RAID array :-( )... and I
> just heard about Far Cry.
>
> Boohoo...
>
> Any chance my system will get half-decent frame rates? As a GF4 owner I
> think i'm probably wise enough to be careful with the amount of AA and AF I
> use, but I don't want to be selling the game short by playing at 800x600
> with everything firmly set at "low" (as I did on Halo when I had an ATI
> 9600SE).

Your system will fall out of eachother of total despair!

Even with nowadays top systems.. Far Cry brings them to their knees!
Even if you had a X800 with an opteron and 5Terabyte of high speed
storage... it would just hit it in the back and kick it down!

You will be able to play fine..but ..more then fine...no.. don't
expect wonders...

"Martin Francis" <removethisbeforeyoureplytoMcsalty@btinternet.com> wrote in
message news:c6bodn$d9p$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> ... as i'm sure everyone does about their machine every so often :)
>
> I am currently running an Athlon XP 2600+ TB at an FSB of 179MHz x12.5
> (2.24GHz- Sandra clocks it somewhere above an Athlon 3200), 512Mb of
> unbranded DDR2700, a GF4 Ti4600 Golden Sample and a woefully old 20Gb HDD
> (access times closer to a 3.5" FDD than a Raptor RAID array :-( )... and I
> just heard about Far Cry.
>
> Boohoo...
>
> Any chance my system will get half-decent frame rates? As a GF4 owner I
> think i'm probably wise enough to be careful with the amount of AA and AF
> use, but I don't want to be selling the game short by playing at 800x600
> with everything firmly set at "low" (as I did on Halo when I had an ATI
> 9600SE).

You should be fine. I have an XP2400, 1GB PC3200, Leadtek GF4 Ti4200, and
with no overclocking played Far Cry at 1024x768 in Medium settings with AA
level 1 (this is set in game, not in the nVidia drivers) all the way through
without any noticeable slowdowns. With an overclocked system you should have
no problems doing this at higher frame rates.

Dan

Martin Francis wrote:
> ... as i'm sure everyone does about their machine every so often :)
>
> I am currently running an Athlon XP 2600+ TB at an FSB of 179MHz x12.5
> (2.24GHz- Sandra clocks it somewhere above an Athlon 3200), 512Mb of
> unbranded DDR2700, a GF4 Ti4600 Golden Sample and a woefully old 20Gb
> HDD (access times closer to a 3.5" FDD than a Raptor RAID array :-(
> )... and I just heard about Far Cry.
>
> Boohoo...
>
> Any chance my system will get half-decent frame rates? As a GF4 owner
> I think i'm probably wise enough to be careful with the amount of AA
> and AF I use, but I don't want to be selling the game short by
> playing at 800x600 with everything firmly set at "low" (as I did on
> Halo when I had an ATI 9600SE).

Nothing wrong at all with your processor - I am running an XP2600+ Barton at
3200+ speeds, and am very satisfied.
The big difference is I am running an ATI 9800 Pro - your video card is
holding your system back somewhat. The prices of the 9800's are coming down,
and will even more so when ATI releases their new card in the next month or
two. I think you would be very happy with an upgrade to a 9800 Pro - or even
a 9800XT, even better - but I would wait on one of those till the prices
come down when the new cards hit the shelves.

--
Don Burnette