My card is having an interesting variety of problems

Lately I've been having problems with "ghosting" and "streaking," which
appear to be the quasi-official terms for little bits of images hanging
around after closing a window and spotty vertical lines cropping up all over
the place. I've tried searching for some answers on google and the closest
thing to a solution anyone had is that it's caused by gremlins in the video
card.

At the same time as the streaking, other issues appeared too. Opening some
video files will crash windows (after it reboots, xp tells me that my nvidia
files have caused a serious error) and many games are doing strange things
in 3d that look like a model has a handfull of its vetrices nudged a few
feet away from it, stretching polygons all over the place.

I have the latest drivers for my card (a geforce4 ti 4200) so I have to
assume that's not the problem. The only event this all coincides with, that
I can remember anyway, is installing planetside. I only had a trial account
so I've since uninstalled the game, but the streaking, crashing videos and
the strange polygon problem that first occured in planetside are still
around.

Do any of this sound familiar to anybody? If so, please help.

Thanks,
-Nordo

"Nordo" <absolutely@fake.yeah> wrote in message news:<UXnic.2104$X14.895@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> Lately I've been having problems with "ghosting" and "streaking," which
> appear to be the quasi-official terms for little bits of images hanging
> around after closing a window and spotty vertical lines cropping up all over
> the place. I've tried searching for some answers on google and the closest
> thing to a solution anyone had is that it's caused by gremlins in the video
> card.

*snip snip snip snip snip snip...clunk.. *

> Do any of this sound familiar to anybody? If so, please help.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nordo

Re-install Directx and the drivers.....

If you have a 4200 card you should NOT be using the 5x.xx drivers, which are
tuned to the FX series cards. Use the 45.23 driver for stability with that
older card.

--
DaveW

"Nordo" <absolutely@fake.yeah> wrote in message
> Lately I've been having problems with "ghosting" and "streaking," which
> appear to be the quasi-official terms for little bits of images hanging
> around after closing a window and spotty vertical lines cropping up all
over
> the place. I've tried searching for some answers on google and the
closest
> thing to a solution anyone had is that it's caused by gremlins in the
video
> card.
>
> At the same time as the streaking, other issues appeared too. Opening
some
> video files will crash windows (after it reboots, xp tells me that my
nvidia
> files have caused a serious error) and many games are doing strange things
> in 3d that look like a model has a handfull of its vetrices nudged a few
> feet away from it, stretching polygons all over the place.
>
> I have the latest drivers for my card (a geforce4 ti 4200) so I have to
> assume that's not the problem. The only event this all coincides with,
that
> I can remember anyway, is installing planetside. I only had a trial
account
> so I've since uninstalled the game, but the streaking, crashing videos and
> the strange polygon problem that first occured in planetside are still
> around.
>
> Do any of this sound familiar to anybody? If so, please help.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nordo

I never would have guessed that installing the latest drivers was a bad
thing. Thanks, this got all the video files working again. It still has
just as many streaks though. Again, if anyone knows what causes them,
please tell me.

Thanks,
-Nordo

"Nordo" <absolutely@fake.yeah> wrote in message news:<9aIic.94533$M3.1104@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> I never would have guessed that installing the latest drivers was a bad
> thing. Thanks, this got all the video files working again. It still has
> just as many streaks though. Again, if anyone knows what causes them,
> please tell me.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nordo
>

> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> > If you have a 4200 card you should NOT be using the 5x.xx drivers, which
> are
> > tuned to the FX series cards. Use the 45.23 driver for stability with
> that
> > older card.
> >
> > --Nordo your problem with "ghosting" may be that you do have the latest drivers. I installed the latest on mine and evertime a Java application is used I see images of the last 3D game I played and have had a few crashes as well. I am considering rolling back to the old driver but might wait to see if they patch the problem. If you have any further info pass it along!

RH

> > DaveW
> >

> > "Nordo" <absolutely@fake.yeah> wrote in message
> > > Lately I've been having problems with "ghosting" and "streaking," which
> > > appear to be the quasi-official terms for little bits of images hanging
> > > around after closing a window and spotty vertical lines cropping up all
> over
> > > the place. I've tried searching for some answers on google and the
> closest
> > > thing to a solution anyone had is that it's caused by gremlins in the
> video
> > > card.
> > >
> > > At the same time as the streaking, other issues appeared too. Opening
> some
> > > video files will crash windows (after it reboots, xp tells me that my
> nvidia
> > > files have caused a serious error) and many games are doing strange
> things
> > > in 3d that look like a model has a handfull of its vetrices nudged a few
> > > feet away from it, stretching polygons all over the place.
> > >
> > > I have the latest drivers for my card (a geforce4 ti 4200) so I have to
> > > assume that's not the problem. The only event this all coincides with,
> that
> > > I can remember anyway, is installing planetside. I only had a trial
> account
> > > so I've since uninstalled the game, but the streaking, crashing videos
> and
> > > the strange polygon problem that first occured in planetside are still
> > > around.
> > >
> > > Do any of this sound familiar to anybody? If so, please help.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > -Nordo

Nordo your problem with "ghosting" may be that you DO have the latest
drivers. I installed the latest on mine and evertime a Java
application is used I see images of the last 3D game I played and have
had a few crashes as well. I am considering rolling back to the old
driver but might wait to see if they patch the problem. If you have
any further info pass it along!

RH

Are you using a CRT or a LCD monitor?

"Dark Avenger" <superxml@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Nordo" <absolutely@fake.yeah> wrote in message
> > Lately I've been having problems with "ghosting" and "streaking," which
> > appear to be the quasi-official terms for little bits of images hanging
> > around after closing a window and spotty vertical lines cropping up all
over
> > the place. I've tried searching for some answers on google and the
closest
> > thing to a solution anyone had is that it's caused by gremlins in the
video
> > card.
> >
> *snip snip snip snip snip snip...clunk.. *
> >
> > Do any of this sound familiar to anybody? If so, please help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Nordo
>
> Re-install Directx and the drivers.....

radzi

"Russ" <russandpen@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Nordo your problem with "ghosting" may be that you DO have the latest
> drivers. I installed the latest on mine and evertime a Java
> application is used I see images of the last 3D game I played and have
> had a few crashes as well. I am considering rolling back to the old
> driver but might wait to see if they patch the problem. If you have
> any further info pass it along!
>
> RH

The latest beta version of Java solved this problem for me.

Radzi.