Next GTA details leaked???

Stolen from another group which was stolen from elsewhere ;-)

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=36447&subsectionid=1584

Mystery screenshot purportedly of next Grand Theft Auto hits the web

A screenshot supposedly revealing the first glimpse of Rockstar's next-gen
version of the biggest gaming franchise in the world, Grand Theft Auto, has
been exposed.

The shot, pictured right, depicts a typical GTA-esque landscape featuring a
large apartment building in the background, pedestrians to shoot at and, of
course, cars to steal.

Scant details accompanied the picture when it was first posted on French
website Jeux-France late yesterday, but they did reveal some interesting and
unusual suggestions.

As well as predicting a first showing on PlayStation 3, the website
suggested that the game would soon come to other next-gen consoles due to
"online possibilities".

What this actually means is anyone's guess, but we like to think that the
next GTA will have some kind of MMORPG-type element to it.

Jeux-France also claimed that the game will be six times larger than San
Andreas, with 350 different cars, and would see players having to
administrate fuel levels in the cars they drive.

Most odd though was a suggestion that, when literally translated, said the
game would introduce a "system of creation of animals". No, we don't have
any idea either... perhaps you breed dogs?

Naturally, when asked, Rockstar declined to confirm or deny the image's
authenticity, unsurprisingly choosing to play the 'no comment' card.

*end article*

I have to say that if this is true, I am disappointed that Rockstar are
going down the bigger route with 6 times bigger than San Andreas. I felt
SanAn was too big anyway
26 answers Last reply
More about next details leaked

    "Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in

    > I have to say that if this is true, I am disappointed that Rockstar
    > are going down the bigger route with 6 times bigger than San Andreas.
    > I felt SanAn was too big anyway

    Considering the nature of internet rumors, I'd take this with a large
    grain of salt. Rockstar's been pretty good at playing their card close
    until they were damn good and ready to show them.

    Six times bigger than San Andreas? That'd be getting a bit unweildy, I
    think. I'd hate to drive miles down a road, seeing the same block of
    buildings repeated over and over like they did in True Crime's LA. I
    mean, there's only so much work the artists and creators can put into a
    game before the labor costs force the publisher to jack the price up
    beyond what anyone's willing to pay. This problem's probably going to
    pop up a lot in the next generation of consoles, with more computing
    power and insane amounts of storage available on new disks.

    What I'd like to see in the next GTA is a game the size of SA only with
    more interactive scenery, like being able to ride the ferris wheel on the
    pier in LS. Or being able to take a rocket launcher to an electical
    substation and watch half of Las Venturas go black. :)

    Just my thoughts...

    -- Bob

    I doubt that they will go that far. I expect they will stick to the
    main formula, but improve in much the same direction that they have
    been going (side missions, interaction with pedestrians, etc.)

    My main hope is that the next game is more family-friendly than SA.

    Phi Hibbs.

    > Considering the nature of internet rumors, I'd take this with a large
    > grain of salt. Rockstar's been pretty good at playing their card
    > close until they were damn good and ready to show them.
    >
    > Six times bigger than San Andreas? That'd be getting a bit unweildy,
    > I think. I'd hate to drive miles down a road, seeing the same block
    > of buildings repeated over and over like they did in True Crime's LA.
    > I mean, there's only so much work the artists and creators can put
    > into a game before the labor costs force the publisher to jack the
    > price up beyond what anyone's willing to pay. This problem's
    > probably going to pop up a lot in the next generation of consoles,
    > with more computing power and insane amounts of storage available on
    > new disks.
    >
    > What I'd like to see in the next GTA is a game the size of SA only
    > with more interactive scenery, like being able to ride the ferris
    > wheel on the pier in LS. Or being able to take a rocket launcher to
    > an electical substation and watch half of Las Venturas go black. :)

    I agree, Bob. San Andreas was a bit too big for me personally, but more
    interaction with the environments would be great. Have the same size as SA
    or slightly smaller, but put more into side stuff. They could also do with
    streamlining the purchasing of clothing as that was way too clunky. I would
    like to be able to see the clothes before I try them on so I can know
    beforehand whether I like it or not.

    > I agree, Bob. San Andreas was a bit too big for me personally, but more
    > interaction with the environments would be great. Have the same size as
    > SA or slightly smaller, but put more into side stuff. They could also do
    > with streamlining the purchasing of clothing as that was way too clunky.
    > I would like to be able to see the clothes before I try them on so I can
    > know beforehand whether I like it or not.

    I'd be happy enough with a city only the size of Vice City, but with more
    richness and with the ability to go into every building, and interact with
    everything in some way. The scope for expanding the possibilities to live
    your life in a city and see the peds and other non-player characters do
    likewise is still wide open.

    They could do a lot of things other than increase the size of the map.

    How about...

    A game without set missions, where you decide for yourself how to take
    control of the crime world. You arrive in the city and have to find out who
    the major players are for yourself. Various clues lead you in the right
    directions to find out who's in charge. A news story on the radio, a
    conversation you have, or an event that you happen to witness.

    So let's say you find out where a mafia boss lives, and from there you can
    either try to make friends with him and work for him, or you can try to wipe
    him out and take over. Either way a series of possibilities would open up.

    Depending on the level of influence you have, maybe setting your sights on
    the boss is a bad idea - you should try to get in with the lower level guys
    first and work your way up until you have a realistic chance of making a
    move without being whacked for trying.

    With hard drives getting ever larger, a huge number of cutscenes could be
    made to deal with hundreds of possibilities. Every time you restart the game
    it unfolds in a different way depending on the way you play. Maybe one game
    you rise to the very top of the crime world, and in the next one you're
    happy to make a living as a hitman. Maybe you can even shun the criminal
    life altogether and join the police force. And then you decide whether
    you're a good cop or someone like Officer Tenpenny. Or maybe you go into
    business and try to make it as a Donald Love type figure.

    The attraction of the GTA games for me isn't in the size of the map so much
    as it is in the feeling of being in a real city. They are making this better
    each time, but claims like "350 different cars" leave me cold.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > My main hope is that the next game is more family-friendly than SA.

    You should try buying something else that a GTA-game if you want
    family-friendly stuff...
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    On 30 Jun 2005 10:26:04 -0700, "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

    >My main hope is that the next game is more family-friendly than SA.

    Then buy The Simpsons Hit&Run, don't ruin GTA for the rest of us.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
    > On 30 Jun 2005 10:26:04 -0700, "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

    >>My main hope is that the next game is more family-friendly than SA.

    > Then buy The Simpsons Hit&Run, don't ruin GTA for the rest of us.

    Is he sending kid-friendly brainwaves through the boardroom?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    They managed to avoid swearing in III and VC, but I can see how the
    setting of SA would have been rather contrived if they had kept it
    clean. It shouldn't be too hard to record two sets of character voices,
    and allowed the player to select '18' or 'PG' (to use the UK
    terminology) at installation time.

    Phil Hibbs.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    >So it is fine for kids to go on mad killing sprees in the game,
    >but heaven forbid they hear the F word.

    Yeah, good point, I normally complain about that attitude too. However,
    going on a killing spree is your own choice, and can be influenced by
    the parent. Hearing foul language coming out of the screen is not.

    Phil Hibbs.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    I should point out that the context that I'm talking about is just
    using it as a drive-around-town game, not doing the missions.

    Phil Hibbs.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    I agree with you odd bob, 6x larger would be too much, they'd spend so
    much time on the map that they'd forget about game play.

    The VC map was perfect in size, large enough to explore (even years
    after getting it I still find the odd surprise) small enough to
    remember (I never had to use the map in VC). SA is at the limit of
    what is practical, even then I kind of have the feeling there's some
    padding in there map-wise just to make the map big. The SA map without
    the rather silly countryside north of LS would be perfect (keeping mt.
    chilliad and the desert in LV as they're cool) would be spot-on.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    I like the SA map size, *because* it's just slightly too big to
    remember easily. I get the impression that no matter how long I play
    SA, there's always something new to see even if it just seems new
    because it's been so long since I was around those parts that I forgot
    it. So, I say SA is the perfect size.

    Of course, if they put the effort in, a bigger map could be better, as
    long as they don't cut corners. If they're going to make it bigger then
    they need to do it properly, and that's difficult.

    Phil Hibbs.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    On 1 Jul 2005 01:50:27 -0700, "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

    >They managed to avoid swearing in III and VC, but I can see how the
    >setting of SA would have been rather contrived if they had kept it
    >clean. It shouldn't be too hard to record two sets of character voices,
    >and allowed the player to select '18' or 'PG' (to use the UK
    >terminology) at installation time.

    So it is fine for kids to go on mad killing sprees in the game, but
    heaven forbid they hear the F word. The game has an 18 rating for good
    reason.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > On 30 Jun 2005 10:26:04 -0700, "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>My main hope is that the next game is more family-friendly than SA.
    >
    > Then buy The Simpsons Hit&Run, don't ruin GTA for the rest of us.

    We've had this discussion in detail before. The Simpsons game isn't as good
    as GTA. We were talking about having options in the menu of a GTA game to
    turn blood/swearing etc on or off to allow a "family safe" version to be
    played if required, without removing any of the more adult stuff for the
    grown ups.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:15:27 +0000 (UTC), Jason <deerwood@fake.com>
    wrote:

    >Anyone with kids knows that it's impossible to escape them.
    >The pop-pop-pop and screams draw toddlers to the game like
    >a moth to a 250W bulb. Hiring a babysitter so I can play a
    >video game ain't going to happen.

    Headphones?

    Steve
    --
    www.thepaxamsolution.com
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > >My main hope is that the next game is more family-friendly than SA.
    >
    > Then buy The Simpsons Hit&Run, don't ruin GTA for the rest of us.

    I'd rather my five-year-old play VC than H&R. In H&R he was aiming for
    people to run over. He was quite surprised that in VC, people don't get up
    when you run them over. I told him that's what happens in real life, and
    suddenly (OK, over the space of a week or ten days), he started paying
    attention when we crossed the road.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:15:27 +0000 (UTC), Jason <deerwood@fake.com>
    > wrote:

    >>Anyone with kids knows that it's impossible to escape them.
    >>The pop-pop-pop and screams draw toddlers to the game like
    >>a moth to a 250W bulb. Hiring a babysitter so I can play a
    >>video game ain't going to happen.

    > Headphones?

    Television.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    I can't quite imagine CJ saying "Cadzooks that Smoke is an absolute
    bounder", "go forth and multiply you cad", "sorry to be a bother would
    you mind terribly if I carjack you" doesn't work some how.

    Or if you're from the UK image Chris Eubank doing CJ's voice!

    Rob White wrote:
    > In message <1120207827.539212.244560@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
    > "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > They managed to avoid swearing in III and VC,
    >
    > Not totally, only (mainly) in the cutscenes.
    >
    > To have a game which is based in early Los Angeles, features gang
    > cultures and *doesn't* have swearing wouldn't exactly make it
    > realistic, but then again that's why I like the GTA world.
    >

    > Cheers,
    > Rob
    > --
    > .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
    > | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
    > | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    6 times bigger than SA? drool...but I do agree with other people's
    concerns of making other parts of the game disappointing as a result.

    If it's true, it should be GTA USA with the nation divided up into 6
    "states".
    For someone who lived in Chicago while in the US during his teen years,
    I'm hoping for a Windy City inclusion.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <1120207827.539212.244560@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
    "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

    > They managed to avoid swearing in III and VC,

    Not totally, only (mainly) in the cutscenes.

    To have a game which is based in early Los Angeles, features gang
    cultures and *doesn't* have swearing wouldn't exactly make it
    realistic, but then again that's why I like the GTA world.

    Cheers,
    Rob
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "mustrum_ridcully" <mustrum_ridcully@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I can't quite imagine CJ saying "Cadzooks that Smoke is an absolute
    > bounder", "go forth and multiply you cad", "sorry to be a bother would
    > you mind terribly if I carjack you" doesn't work some how.

    I guess the game is MA15+ for a reason.......
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    adrian.swiatkowski@gmail.com wrote:
    > 6 times bigger than SA? drool...but I do agree with other people's
    > concerns of making other parts of the game disappointing as a result.
    >
    > If it's true, it should be GTA USA with the nation divided up into 6
    > "states".
    > For someone who lived in Chicago while in the US during his teen
    > years, I'm hoping for a Windy City inclusion.

    Sadly Rockstar has said the screenshot and information is faked :-(
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    GTA:Gotham would be cool. I want a batmobile! Which one? All of them,
    of course!

    Phil Hibbs.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <1120298772.747242.150130@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
    "mustrum_ridcully" <mustrum_ridcully@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Or if you're from the UK image Chris Eubank doing CJ's voice!

    I'm under the impression that Eubank rides a Harley because he can't
    pronounce Suzuki.

    Cheers,
    Rob
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    I want GTA Springfield

    Beck wrote:
    > Stolen from another group which was stolen from elsewhere ;-)
    >
    > http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=36447&subsectionid=1584

    etc.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Rob White wrote:

    > In message <1120298772.747242.150130@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
    > "mustrum_ridcully" <mustrum_ridcully@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Or if you're from the UK image Chris Eubank doing CJ's voice!
    >
    > I'm under the impression that Eubank rides a Harley because he can't
    > pronounce Suzuki.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob
    > --