zonealarm 6 good news?

Hi

I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?
14 answers Last reply
More about zonealarm good news

    I have been running Zone Alarm Pro V6 for about 2+ weeks now with zero
    problems. I also enabled their free version of a anti-spyware. Running
    Windows XP with current SP2 updates.

    ------------------------
    "JIP" <JIP@thatplace.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
    > far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?

    JIP said ...
    > Hi
    >
    > I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
    > far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?

    I've had no problem using ZA6 free version.
    --
    Sam

    In article <42fcc1df$0$97140$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
    JIP@thatplace.com says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
    > far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?

    So far I have only heard good news regarding ZA Pro 6, however, I have
    seen some weird reports on the free ZA 6. I have installed ZA Pro 6
    here and tried it out for a few days with no troubles. Also installed
    the Free ZA on another machine with no problems so far either.

    Another great place to read and post questions is here:

    http://wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

    --
    Kerodo

    "JIP" <JIP@thatplace.com> wrote...

    > Hi
    >
    > I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
    > far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?

    So far, so good, after an initial mess with Zone Alarm Pro. From what I
    read on the Zone Alarm Forum, choose a Clean Install rather than an Update
    to avoid most problems with the new v6.

    Craig

    JIP wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
    > far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?

    I did have problems, but in the last hour I did a clean install of
    version 6 and it seems to be working fine now. It's the first time I've
    installed the .3 minor update to version 6. Maybe that has something do
    to with it?

    --
    Wattsville Blues
    http://wattsvilleblues.blogspot.com/

    In Message-ID:<42fcc1df$0$97140$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>
    posted on Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:35:57 +0100, JIP wrote: Begin

    >Hi
    >
    >I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
    >far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?

    I decided to evaluate it against my eTrust EZ Firewall and it's very
    similar. It has several features I'm not interested in such as email
    attachment scanning, virus scanning, and anti-spy/spam filtration, but
    the basic action is as good as eTrust (re-branded ZA) however you can't
    change the skin color if that's important.
    My Conclusion is it's not worth any extra expense to change if you
    already have eTrust, or even a previous later version of ZA, but it's
    certainly adequate for someone in the market for a first firewall, or as
    a replacement for the XP firewall illusion, plus it has the
    (questionable) advantage of viral and spybot scanning too.

    FWIW: I'm referring to ZAP v6.0.631.003 full licensed version
    tested on Win98SE w/aDSL connection.
    note* The antivirus, email, and spyware features weren't evaluated.

    --

    Bart

    In Message-ID:<nK8Le.92346$5N3.4786@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
    posted on Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:43:47 GMT, Craig wrote: Begin

    >"JIP" <JIP@thatplace.com> wrote...
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
    >> far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?
    >
    > So far, so good, after an initial mess with Zone Alarm Pro. From what I
    >read on the Zone Alarm Forum, choose a Clean Install rather than an Update
    >to avoid most problems with the new v6.
    >
    >Craig

    I too did a "clean" install.
    I had the eTrust EZ Firewall (re-branded ZA) that used some ZA files in
    the system folder and references in the registry, and I purged them all
    before install.

    --

    Bart

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:35:57 +0100, "JIP" <JIP@thatplace.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
    >far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?

    I'm using the free version, and the only problem I am having is that
    the Pass-Lock function does not seem to be available, let alone
    working. Other than that - fine.

    -
    Glen

    Ottawa

    (Remove the ".NIT.invalid" from the end of my address)
  9. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In Message-ID:<ufh4g11j6ijqneu6abpq4gb91rgqs23tgp@4ax.com> posted on
    Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:02:27 -0400, Glen McLean wrote: Begin

    >On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:35:57 +0100, "JIP" <JIP@thatplace.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
    >>far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?
    >>
    >I'm using the free version, and the only problem I am having is that
    >the Pass-Lock function does not seem to be available, let alone
    >working. Other than that - fine.
    >
    >-
    >Glen
    >
    >Ottawa
    >
    >(Remove the ".NIT.invalid" from the end of my address)

    I ended up reverting to my ZA v4.5 after a couple days with v6.
    The new version lacks some of the conveniences of the old;
    like opening to the last page (alerts) or automatically entering the new
    IP from a dynamically assigned aDSL service into an active network.

    --

    Bart
  10. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    JIP wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So
    > far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?
    >

    > I am using Z.A 6 no problems at all just have to configer it a bit
    more thn V 5
  11. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Don't try it yet unless you can do it on a throwaway partition. It really
    wrecked my test partition -- I had to delete the partition and start over.
    Locks up, even after uninstall and reinstall of 5.5. Good old 5.5.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Fight Spam:
    http://bluesecurity.com
  12. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:31:34 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote:

    >Don't try it yet unless you can do it on a throwaway partition. It really
    >wrecked my test partition -- I had to delete the partition and start over.
    >Locks up, even after uninstall and reinstall of 5.5. Good old 5.5.

    OTOH, I've got it installed on three XP SP2 systems and have not had a
    single problem. YMMV.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    maduser@bagspammers.net wrote:

    >OTOH, I've got it installed on three XP SP2 systems and have not had a
    >single problem. YMMV.

    I installed it on two XP systems. One was fine as long as I turned
    off the spyware stuff. The other was a total disaster. ZA flagged
    every interaction and wouldn't remember anything. I was doing nothing
    but telling ZA that it was OK for programs to invoke Internet
    Explorer, including Zone Alarm. I finally had to remove it and go
    back to version 5.

    I was most amused that removing it prompted me to answer an survey
    about why....and even that got flagged by ZA.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In WG5Pe.124866$E95.79980@fed1read01, Ed Light <nobody@nobody.there> wrote:

    > Don't try it yet unless you can do it on a throwaway partition. It really
    > wrecked my test partition -- I had to delete the partition and start over.
    > Locks up, even after uninstall and reinstall of 5.5. Good old 5.5.

    ZoneAlarm 6 scragged two of my XP development boxes. Named pipes would
    close prematurely, and WMI/WBEM was hosed. Uninstall left the IP stack
    destroyed.

    Later I figured out that to recover from de-installation of ZA 6 you must
    manually reset the IP stack.

    Open a command prompt and type:

    netsh
    netsh> interface ip reset c:\foo.log

    c:\foo.log can be any scratch file. Reboot. Then run the Network control
    panel applet, select TCP/IP Protocol -> Properties, and manually restore the
    IP address, netmask, and DNS settings. Then write a flame letter to
    ZoneLabs :-(

    Regards,
    -Alan (alank@NOSPAMalgintech-dot-com)

Firewalls Security Networking