Firewall and wireless question

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
August 12, 2005 9:14:43 PM

Sorry if this seems simple but I am trying to be sure I understand security
with my system.

I connect via cable and use a wireless router set up with WPA personal
protection. I use ZA as my firewall.

My concern is protecting the data on my computer. If I understand correctly
the protection on the router is to prevent someone from accessing the
network. Does that prevent access of my computer as well?

Does the firewall prevent someone from accessing data on my computer?

Does wireless create a greater threat than simple having a wired connection?

If there is a good primer on this somewhere would appreciate being pointed
in that direction.
August 13, 2005 3:07:45 PM

On 12-Aug-2005, "jcgc50" <jcgc50@cox.net> wrote:

> Sorry if this seems simple but I am trying to be sure I understand
> security
> with my system.
>
> I connect via cable and use a wireless router set up with WPA personal
> protection. I use ZA as my firewall.
>
> My concern is protecting the data on my computer. If I understand
> correctly
> the protection on the router is to prevent someone from accessing the
> network. Does that prevent access of my computer as well?
>
> Does the firewall prevent someone from accessing data on my computer?
>
> Does wireless create a greater threat than simple having a wired
> connection?
>
> If there is a good primer on this somewhere would appreciate being pointed
>
> in that direction.

I have a Watchguard Firebox Edge Wireless X5W and the nice thing about this
unit is that it has two networks you can setup. I do not use wireless so
mine is connected to the trusted network. All wireless clients are bridged
to the optional network and have no access to the trusted network. So that
way your trusted network is protected if your wireless connection is hacked.
MAC address filtering is one thing I won't be without with a wireless
appliance. Watchguard's wireless firewall's are about as secure as you are
going to get when it comes to wireless.
!