Getting an LCD Monitor

jeff

for a couple of months, ive been thinking about getting an LCD monitor
because i heard their graphics are superior to a CRT monitor, if anyone who
bought one, or whose read reviews wants to share them with me before i make
this decision please share them.

if it doesnt make that much of a difference i wasnt looking to get it, only
if the graphics are incredibly better

and LCD monitors can be used for television, and can be hooked up to your
comp-- can they both be hooked up simoltaneously?

if you can give me any information that would help my decision, please
share, thanks

jeff

while LCD's are brighter, and can be more crisp, they are slower (not good
for gaming), and not as smooth as a regular CRT.

There are LCD's with 2 video inputs so you can switch from your AV system to
your PC with the press of a button, or flip of a tab.

I like Panels (LCD) for saving space. Theya re not so great for things like
graphics or jobs where precise color matching is essential. Nothing more
than adequate for gaming, though.

I have a dual head setup right now (GF4 TI4200 from ASUS) and I have a Dell
Trinitrion 21" and an NEC m700 17" hanging from it.

The trinitron is far superior.

I used to have 2 CPQ TFT5010i (Carbon) displays, with a kick-ass trading
stand from www.ergotron.com , but I sold it a couple months ago because
those old panels wouldnt work with the TI4200 (its a VIVO card), so they had
to go. It broke my heart.

Anyway.. take that for what its worth.

NuTs

"Jeff" <loudtilk@optonline.net> wrote in message
> for a couple of months, ive been thinking about getting an LCD monitor
> because i heard their graphics are superior to a CRT monitor, if anyone
who
> bought one, or whose read reviews wants to share them with me before i
make
> this decision please share them.
>
> if it doesnt make that much of a difference i wasnt looking to get it,
only
> if the graphics are incredibly better
>
> and LCD monitors can be used for television, and can be hooked up to your
> comp-- can they both be hooked up simoltaneously?
>
> if you can give me any information that would help my decision, please
> share, thanks
>
> jeff

I would never go back to a CRT.

Jeff B

Jeff wrote:
> for a couple of months, ive been thinking about getting an LCD monitor
> because i heard their graphics are superior to a CRT monitor, if anyone who
> bought one, or whose read reviews wants to share them with me before i make
> this decision please share them.
>
> if it doesnt make that much of a difference i wasnt looking to get it, only
> if the graphics are incredibly better
>
> and LCD monitors can be used for television, and can be hooked up to your
> comp-- can they both be hooked up simoltaneously?
>
> if you can give me any information that would help my decision, please
> share, thanks
>
> jeff

believe me, i wish i hadnt had too...

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:45:27 GMT, "Jeff" <loudtilk@optonline.net>
wrote:

>for a couple of months, ive been thinking about getting an LCD monitor
>because i heard their graphics are superior to a CRT monitor, if anyone who
>bought one, or whose read reviews wants to share them with me before i make
>this decision please share them.
>
>if it doesnt make that much of a difference i wasnt looking to get it, only
>if the graphics are incredibly better
>
>and LCD monitors can be used for television, and can be hooked up to your
>comp-- can they both be hooked up simoltaneously?
>
>if you can give me any information that would help my decision, please
>share, thanks
>
>jeff

Two weeks ago I bought an AOC 19" monitor. While the graphics was
crisp and sharp, the monitor had a problem with some alignment on the
left side of the screen. I got the agents to send out a replacement.
The replacement was out of focus and moved around and was this was
indeed a poor example of a monitor if ever I saw one... I kept the
original and told them where to shove the replacement...

I eventually couldn't handle the problem with the original monitor so
just the other day, I got a credit and bought a Philips 109P40 - 19"
monitor in its place. This monitor is great and exceeds my limited
expetations of a 19" monitor... While I was over at the computer shop
picking it up, I looked over a few LCD screens from Philips, Samsung
and a few other brands.. I couldn't help but notice that they appeared
to run a few games quite slowly and even with the screensaver 2 of
them had going, they were both jerky. I have the same screensaver and
it does not jerk like they did...

I have heard that LCD monitors do run a little slow in games and they
cannot get high resolution with reasonable refresh rates... For the
first time, I actually believe "them".. Mind you, I didn't check other
hardware and settings in these display PC's. That may have a lot to do
with it too...

wrote:

>for a couple of months, ive been thinking about getting an LCD monitor
>because i heard their graphics are superior to a CRT monitor, if anyone who
>bought one, or whose read reviews wants to share them with me before i make
>this decision please share them.
>
>if it doesnt make that much of a difference i wasnt looking to get it, only
>if the graphics are incredibly better
>
>and LCD monitors can be used for television, and can be hooked up to your
>comp-- can they both be hooked up simoltaneously?
>
>if you can give me any information that would help my decision, please
>share, thanks
>
>jeff

I've been running a Hyundai Q17 17" LCD monitor for about 8 months now
and would thoroughly recommend it. It has the Hydis 20 ms panel that
THG said was the best for gaming in the world last year. They still
say its the top currently.

I would never go back to a CRT if I can help it. The picture is just
so much "nicer" to look at. I play mainly Q3A using an ATI Radeon 9600
Pro and get no motion blur or any other laggy effects at all. Same
goes for Halo.

Another thing rarely mentioned when LCD/CRT is discusssed is this: I
and all my mates who use them notice far less eye strain and far less
of a feeling of being "wiped out" by the radiation that CRTs emit.
It's worth it for that alone IMHO.

Hope this helps :)
Btw,: I used 19" NEC (radiation monster) and 17" Sony Trinitron
previously.

Bruce Tyler wrote:
> I have heard that LCD monitors do run a little slow in games and they
> cannot get high resolution with reasonable refresh rates... For the
> first time, I actually believe "them"..

i assume you mean response time - refresh rates have no relevance for
LCD displays. thre are good gaming LCDs on the market, but they're
specific models with 16ms response times. viewsonic, planar and hitachi
are a few of the companies that make them.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=vp201b&page=1

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:02:52 +1200, gimp <gimpboy@smegville.com>
wrote:

>Bruce Tyler wrote:
>> I have heard that LCD monitors do run a little slow in games and they
>> cannot get high resolution with reasonable refresh rates... For the
>> first time, I actually believe "them"..
>
>i assume you mean response time - refresh rates have no relevance for
>LCD displays. thre are good gaming LCDs on the market, but they're
>specific models with 16ms response times. viewsonic, planar and hitachi
>are a few of the companies that make them.
>
>http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=vp201b&page=1

I must apologize here as I don't really know "that" much about LCD
monitors.. My advice was to be careful buying on if you want to
replace a CRT monitor was sheer speed in refresh (or response) rates..
One thing I should have said is that the image on one LCD monitor did
look fantastic, almost like is was photo quality, but, it appeared to
run quite jerky. I think it was set to 1280x960 or similar and the guy
said that it was at its max resolution.. When I say "jerky", it's hard
to explain. It was NOT like a graphics card framing out, it was more
like the monitor was trying to reproduce a new image before the old
one was complete and it appeared sort of jerky, almost overlapping..
That's the best way I can describe it...

Bruce Tyler wrote:
> it was more
> like the monitor was trying to reproduce a new image before the old
> one was complete and it appeared sort of jerky, almost overlapping..
> That's the best way I can describe it...

yep, that's ghosting ;) main culprit is poor response times. but even
all 16ms LCDs are not created equal, its a good idea to see it
beforehand or reviews might be enough if they're from a good source.