Gateway Crams 14'' Screen Into 13'' Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Like the idea, just a shame it's Gateway. I don't understand why laptop manufacturers still insist on making a 1" bezel around the display when it is unnecessary now, so it's nice to see at least one company diverging from that.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
"There are also three tasty models to choose, ranging from $679.99 to $699.99. All three offer Windows 7 Home Premium, second generation Core i5 and i3 processors"

Did I read that wrong, it's $20 more to go from an i3 to an i5?

eldesconocido

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
[citation][nom]sot010174[/nom]LG already did it. On sale here on Brazil:http://www.fastshop.com.br/NOTEBOO [...] 1,302.aspx[/citation]

Didn't know LG was in the laptop business too, cool.

G

[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Like the idea, just a shame it's Gateway. I don't understand why laptop manufacturers still insist on making a 1" bezel around the display when it is unnecessary now, so it's nice to see at least one company diverging from that.[/citation]

What do you mean by unnecessary? Maybe from manufacturing standpoint there's no reason for a 1" bezel, but if it's for a 13.3-inch model I already know screen size isn't my main concern. 13.3-inch laptops are for mobility. Mobile devices get beat around, it just happens. The last thing I want is to have a laptop that dings something and the corner of the glass screen gets broke just like the iPhone 4's at AT&T & Verizon.

If we're talking about desktop screens (and maybe enthusiast laptops that won't be transported as frequent)then I'm for thin bezels all the way. Eyefinity with 6 extremely thin bezel monitors would be a beautiful sight.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
It's about time. What requires such a thick bezel? I've seen as much as an inch on some systems. Meanwhile, many old ones, like some dells, have quite thin ones.

I could use small bezels on my desktop screens come to think of it. They say that the big bezel helps to make the screen (and laptop) sturdy, but with a desktop that's not really an issue. The bezel on my sony monitor is more than an inch, and I have a dual-monitor setup! (note: the second monitor is a Samsung) Because of that, I have about 2.5" of space between the two screens. And it's all because of the bezels.

Unfortunately, it wont matter how good the product is. Too many people base choices simply on how "pretty" or "cool" the logo is. In this case, Gateway's not in the running. (My Gateway MX-7515 laptop is sitting next to me)

GaMEChld

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Zenthar[/nom]Can't they make those for desktops as well?*cough* Eyefinity *cough*[/citation]
I know right? I am currently hiding one bezel from each of the side monitors behind the bezel of the first. Even then, the bezel of the first monitor is definitely larger than it needs to be.

scazbala86

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
[citation][nom]BruceOTB[/nom]Llano please[/citation]

Same

Gateway also mentioned the NV55 series: nine laptops with processors ranging from the dual-core Intel Pentium P6200 to the dual-core Intel Core i3 to the AMD A8-3500M

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Well, it's a cool idea, but the glossy screen makes this idea awful.

Think! What do you do when you lift the lid of a notebook?

You touch... the bezel around the screen with one of your fingers to finish opening the screen since there's no other way to open the screen.
And since I don't see any latches on the case, you have to put your thumb or index finger inside the laptop to open it.

So normally you'd touch a plastic part of the notebook that doesn't smudge but now you're touching your screen.

But the worst part of that is that it's a glossy screen. So those fingerprints that your fingers WILL deposit on the screen REMAIN VISIBLE unlike a matte screen.

So it's a cool concept but until Gateway gets better screens (read: matte) it will look your laptop look like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.