NVIDIA Display Driver Service

Does anyone know exactly what this service does?

System in question: Dual P3-800 with MSI Ti4200 8x running Windows Server
2003 and nVidia drivers for XP version 53.03.

I've done some searching on google web and groups, and it looks like this
used to be called "NVIDIA Driver Helper Service".

But I have yet to come across any posts that really explain what it does,
aside from some of the issues it's caused.

The reason I stumbled across it is because I noticed NVCPL.DLL kept
showing up in the registry under
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\NvCplDaemon.

Even though I'd keep removing it, it kept showing up.

I did some searching for nvcpl.dll and read that apparently the NVIDIA
Display Driver Service is responsible for putting this in the registry
key, even after it's been removed.

The suggestion most frequently given is to disable the service or set it
to manual. But it would be nice to know what exactly this service is
supposed to be doing, and why it insists on running nvcpl.dll.

I've searched though the NVIDIA documentation PDFs but have found no
mention of this service. I tried to search msicomputer.com but their
site is down at the moment. I'm not finding much useful on google web or
group searches.

Thanks in advance for any info on this service.

"Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote
> But I have yet to come across any posts that really explain what it does,
> aside from some of the issues it's caused.

I guess that service just handles all those nice desktop thingies
(nView Desktop Manager etc.) because disabling it haven't
caused any negative effect in my use, because I don't use those
extra features. I just play games :)

But what does it matter anyway if it's running? If I remember
right, that service took only 2-3 megs of RAM...

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in

> "Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote
>> But I have yet to come across any posts that really explain what it
>> does, aside from some of the issues it's caused.
>
> I guess that service just handles all those nice desktop thingies
> (nView Desktop Manager etc.) because disabling it haven't
> caused any negative effect in my use, because I don't use those
> extra features. I just play games :)
>
> But what does it matter anyway if it's running? If I remember
> right, that service took only 2-3 megs of RAM...

I don't think it's causing any issues for me, other than an annoying
blank screen for a few seconds whenever I boot and it starts nvcpl. But
a lot of software installs put unnecessary junk into the Run key that
just slows down booting and doesn't do anything usefull, or worse, causes
problems, as with some versions of this Nvidia display driver service. I
typically don't go shutting down every service I can find, but at the
same time, there's no need to add extra useless stuff on top of an
already bloated OS. So I'll try and find out what this service does, if
possible. The only software I've seen before that insisted on re-
installing itself into the Run key after being removed have been trojans
and spyware. Not that the Nvidia software is either, but still I wonder
why they insist on doing that.

I've had some issues with desktop icons as well, just as some previous
posts have mentioned. But I haven't narrowed them down to the nvidia
driver service or nvcpl yet. Still need to do more testing with it
disabled to see if it's made any difference.

Thanks for the reply and the info. Like you, I don't use any of those
extra features. I read newsgroups / websites, download junk, play music
/ games, and I send mirrored output over to the TV to play movies. If
anything shows up broken I'll post back.

The nvcpl.dll is part of the nvidia control panel that shows up in the Display properties control
panel, it has nothing to do with the driver helper service. I have disabled the service since the
begining with no ill effects.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"David Vair" <davevt31@superior.net> wrote in

> The nvcpl.dll is part of the nvidia control panel that shows up in
> the Display properties control panel, it has nothing to do with the
> driver helper service. I have disabled the service since the begining
> with no ill effects.

It's the NVIDIA Driver Display Service that keeps adding the registry entry
into the Windows Run key to start nvcpl.dll. Disabling the service allows
me to get rid of the key for good. If I don't disable the service, it
keeps adding that key.

I've disabled the service and deleted the reg key for good now. Rebooted,
and haven't come across any issues yet. The question remains, what does
the service do, and why does it insist on adding the reg key to run
nvcpl.dll?

Thank you for the info on your disabled config. So far all the references
I've found from people who've disabled it have been positive. None of them
have reported any new problems as a result of disabling the service. No one
seems to know what exactly the service does. I'll try running Regmon and
Filemon to see if I can track what it's doing.

"Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote
> No one seems to know what exactly the service does. I'll try running
> Regmon and Filemon to see if I can track what it's doing.

I did try that "Pop-up Blocker"-feature these new Forceware
drivers have. I didn't seem to work and pop-ups kept coming
normally, but then I realized that I had disabled the display
driver service. After starting it up again the pop-up blocker
started to function.

So this is one point more to my conclusion, that the service
just controls those neaty extra bonus features Forceware drivers
have - completely useless in gaming, as the service itself too.

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in news:c6mdhr$plj$1@phys-
news1.kolumbus.fi:

> I did try that "Pop-up Blocker"-feature these new Forceware
> drivers have. I didn't seem to work and pop-ups kept coming
> normally, but then I realized that I had disabled the display
> driver service. After starting it up again the pop-up blocker
> started to function.
>
> So this is one point more to my conclusion, that the service
> just controls those neaty extra bonus features Forceware drivers
> have - completely useless in gaming, as the service itself too.

Thank you! It helps to know exactly what parts are doing what. Now we
know at least one thing done by nvcpl.dll, or not done if you disable it.

I've been using the Google pop up blocker. So far, so good. It doesn't
stop everything, but hasn't caused me any serious issues either. Had to
enable pop-ups to download software from a few sites, otherwise it's been
great.

Once again, much appreciated! This is exactly the sort of stuff I was
hoping to learn.

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in news:c6mdhr$plj$1@phys-
news1.kolumbus.fi:
> I did try that "Pop-up Blocker"-feature these new Forceware
> drivers have. I didn't seem to work and pop-ups kept coming
> normally, but then I realized that I had disabled the display
> driver service. After starting it up again the pop-up blocker
> started to function.

P.S. I forgot to mention, I'm on 53.03, and I do intend to test the latest
Forceware drivers. But not until I've got a disk image backup of my OS
before installing it. I haven't been lucky with new drivers or software
lately.

"Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote
> No one seems to know what exactly the service does. I'll try running
> Regmon and Filemon to see if I can track what it's doing.

I did try that "Pop-up Blocker"-feature these new Forceware
drivers have. It didn't seem to work and pop-ups kept coming
normally, but then I realized that I had disabled the display
driver service. After starting it up again the pop-up blocker
started to function.

So this is one point more to my conclusion, that the service
just controls those neaty extra bonus features Forceware drivers
have - completely useless in gaming, as the service itself too.

Just wanted to add here what I've learned about the NVIDIA Display driver
service. So far I've learned that it does at least two things:

1) If this service is running, it will add a registry key to your system. It
will add nvcpl.dll to the Windows\Run key of your registry.

2) This service is needed if you use the "Force Refresh Rates" function of
the driver. With this service stopped and set to manual, and nvcpl.dll
disabled, Force Refresh Rates does not work in games where you want to force
the refresh rate for a given solution. Starting this service will
immediately make the forced refresh rate setting work.

So I know one more thing about this service than before I started. Again, if
you know more about this service, please let me know. Thanks.

>1) If this service is running, it will add a registry key to your system. It
>
>will add nvcpl.dll to the Windows\Run key of your registry.

You don't really even need nvcpl.dll to be running unless you are using special
settings such as digital vibrance, overclocking...etc. It does not effect how
the video card works in 3D, unless your using special settings like
overclocking. It only starts settings automatically when windows starts.

>2) This service is needed if you use the "Force Refresh Rates" function of
>the driver. With this service stopped and set to manual, and nvcpl.dll
>disabled, Force Refresh Rates does not work in games where you want to force
>the refresh rate for a given solution. Starting this service will
>immediately make the forced refresh rate setting work.

That may be correct, but using registry settings will do the same thing. A
program called reforce will force the refresh rates to whatever you want with
games which I have never had a single problem with using.

The driver service is just a waste of resources. I suggest shutting it off it
really does nothing useful. I would leave nvcpl.dll running if your using
coolbits or any other special settings with your video card, but even it is not
really needed for the default normal operation of your video card.

> 1) If this service is running, it will add a registry key to your system.
> It
> will add nvcpl.dll to the Windows\Run key of your registry.

Not for me. I turn the service off and set it to manual, but when I change
display settings, such as overclocking and forcing refresh rate, this key is
added.

> 2) This service is needed if you use the "Force Refresh Rates" function of
> the driver.

Not for me. I have it turned off, and it still keeps my refresh rate and
overclocking changes. But if I take out the .dll, they are set to default
on restart.

> 2) This service is needed if you use the "Force Refresh Rates" function of
> the driver. With this service stopped and set to manual, and nvcpl.dll
> disabled, Force Refresh Rates does not work in games where you want to
> force
> the refresh rate for a given solution. Starting this service will
> immediately make the forced refresh rate setting work.

Well, I was wrong. After a restart and a few bouts of anger because the
refresh wouldn't work, I turned the service back on, and it fixed it.
Hmm... Learn something new every day I guess.

> Well, I was wrong. After a restart and a few bouts of anger because the
> refresh wouldn't work, I turned the service back on, and it fixed it.
> Hmm... Learn something new every day I guess.

Geez, this is scary replying to myself so many times, but just to clarify
something. The nvcpl.dll registry key was needed for my computer just to
keep the overclock going. The Nvidia Display Driver Service was needed just
to keep the refresh rate locks on. They both control different things,
apparently.

private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote in

>>2) This service is needed if you use the "Force Refresh Rates" function
>>of the driver. With this service stopped and set to manual, and
>>nvcpl.dll disabled, Force Refresh Rates does not work in games where you
>>want to force the refresh rate for a given solution. Starting this
>>service will immediately make the forced refresh rate setting work.
>
> That may be correct, but using registry settings will do the same thing.
> A program called reforce will force the refresh rates to whatever you
> want with games which I have never had a single problem with using.

Yep, I used to use reforce / refresh force before I started using this
driver. I may go back to using it. I'm just trying to understand what
NVIDIA is doing with this service and nvcpl.dll, and what breaks if you
disable it. I personally don't like to have either of them running and I'm
just trying to document what exactly they do. That way I know what I've
disabled by shutting the service down, and what to expect as a result.
Using reforce instead is a perfectly viable solution. It works quite well
actually and I recommend it especially for anyone using the older drivers
that can't set game refresh rates, particularly in opengl.

> The driver service is just a waste of resources. I suggest shutting it
> off it really does nothing useful. I would leave nvcpl.dll running if
> your using coolbits or any other special settings with your video card,
> but even it is not really needed for the default normal operation of
> your video card.

I agree. Hopefully anyone who decides to disable it as well can search
google groups and find these posts, so they will now know there are some
things that happen if you disable the service, and there are was around
them (like reforce).

Personally, I think it's wrong for any program to stick stuff into the
windows run key. If you're an application install / uninstall then it's
ok, because it's documented in the install and uninstall, and in theory an
install, or uninstall knows the right way to add and remove software.
Also, the user knows when they are installing / uninstalling software, and
if they see any issues they know it's a result of that install. But for
the application itself to start messing with the windows run key is both
undocumented and unecessary.

If something is removed from the Windows Run key, it's for a reason. The
app shouldn't assume it knows how to install or remove software. If it
wants a dll loaded it can do it itself without making registry changes.
It's even worse because it's installing software and not even telling the
user that it's done so. So the system config has changed and the user is
totally unaware of it. Just my opinion, but that's not the "right" way to
do things at all. Reminds me of programmers hard coding everything to C:\.
Some of them are still doing it today. I just installed a Canon software
update that installed itself to C:\ without asking. My OS is on D:. Way
to go. Who needs %systemroot or %systemdrive anyways when you can just
hard code to C:\.

I had previously searched the groups for NVIDIA Display Driver Service and
NVIDIA driver helper service, it's old name. All I could find was that
everyone felt it could be disabled, but no one really knew what it did. At
least now we know a bit about what it does, so hopefully anyone who can be
bothered to google groups will be a step ahead.

Thanks again! I appreciate the info and the pointers.

"Mr. Brian Allen" <blah@blah.com> wrote in

>> 1) If this service is running, it will add a registry key to your
>> system. It
>> will add nvcpl.dll to the Windows\Run key of your registry.
>
> Not for me. I turn the service off and set it to manual, but when I
> change display settings, such as overclocking and forcing refresh rate,
> this key is added.
>
>> 2) This service is needed if you use the "Force Refresh Rates" function
>> of the driver.
>
> Not for me. I have it turned off, and it still keeps my refresh rate
> and overclocking changes. But if I take out the .dll, they are set to
> default on restart.

Are we running the same driver version? My results are from 56.72 on a
Ti4200 8X from MSI.

>> Well, I was wrong. After a restart and a few bouts of anger because
>> the refresh wouldn't work, I turned the service back on, and it fixed
>> it. Hmm... Learn something new every day I guess.
>
> Geez, this is scary replying to myself so many times, but just to
> clarify something. The nvcpl.dll registry key was needed for my
> computer just to keep the overclock going. The Nvidia Display Driver
> Service was needed just to keep the refresh rate locks on. They both
> control different things, apparently.

OK this is good info. We know nvcpl.dll is needed for coolbits
(overclocking) and NVIDIA Display Driver Service is needed for force refresh
rates.

Thanks again for spending the time to test this!

> OK this is good info. We know nvcpl.dll is needed for coolbits
> (overclocking) and NVIDIA Display Driver Service is needed for force
> refresh
> rates.
>
> Thanks again for spending the time to test this!

Yup. That's it. I wasn't really testing. I was just trying to remove
anything unneeded.

TRENDING THREADS