  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2004 4:43:45 PM

Just installed Hitman 3 Contracts on my system.
I find it to be a little "jumpy", and "herky jerky". I run the game at
1024x768, but the problem is still there even at 640x480. It's not really a
framerate problem, because even when d3d is showing over 100fps, the game
will still jump or jerk quite often.
I tried disabling AA and AF, and turned off the post filer in the game. That
speeds framerate alot, but the game will still "stutter", "jump". If I wasnt
monitoring with the d3d framerate utility, I would swear it was due to low
framerate, but it's not.
Anyone else notice this?

Barton 2800+
Geforce FX 5900 (425/900mhz)
Nvidia 56.72
Asus A7n8X Deluxe
WinXP Sp1 (fresh install, no adware, virus, etc).
1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel

More about : hitman contracts fx5900

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 11:39:50 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:43:45 -0500, "edde"
<waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:

>Just installed Hitman 3 Contracts on my system.
>I find it to be a little "jumpy", and "herky jerky". I run the game at
>1024x768, but the problem is still there even at 640x480. It's not really a
>framerate problem, because even when d3d is showing over 100fps, the game
>will still jump or jerk quite often.
>I tried disabling AA and AF, and turned off the post filer in the game. That
>speeds framerate alot, but the game will still "stutter", "jump". If I wasnt
>monitoring with the d3d framerate utility, I would swear it was due to low
>framerate, but it's not.
>Anyone else notice this?
>
>Barton 2800+
>Geforce FX 5900 (425/900mhz)
>Nvidia 56.72
>Asus A7n8X Deluxe
>WinXP Sp1 (fresh install, no adware, virus, etc).
>1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel

Got anything running in the background ?

John Lewis

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 11:39:51 PM

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:43:45 -0500, "edde"
> <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>
> >Just installed Hitman 3 Contracts on my system.
> >I find it to be a little "jumpy", and "herky jerky". I run the game at
> >1024x768, but the problem is still there even at 640x480. It's not really
> >framerate problem, because even when d3d is showing over 100fps, the game
> >will still jump or jerk quite often.
> >I tried disabling AA and AF, and turned off the post filer in the game.
That
> >speeds framerate alot, but the game will still "stutter", "jump". If I
wasnt
> >monitoring with the d3d framerate utility, I would swear it was due to
low
> >framerate, but it's not.
> >Anyone else notice this?
> >
> >Barton 2800+
> >Geforce FX 5900 (425/900mhz)
> >Nvidia 56.72
> >Asus A7n8X Deluxe
> >WinXP Sp1 (fresh install, no adware, virus, etc).
> >1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel
> >

> Got anything running in the background ?
>
> John Lewis

No, nothing. No antivirus or anything. I run the cleanest OS around.
As mentioned this "skipping" happens even when the framerate is over 100fps.
It's very odd, and perhaps most wouldnt notice it, but I sure do.
Related resources
April 28, 2004 4:42:43 AM

"edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:
> Just installed Hitman 3 Contracts on my system.
> I find it to be a little "jumpy", and "herky jerky". I run the game at
> 1024x768, but the problem is still there even at 640x480. It's not really a
> framerate problem, because even when d3d is showing over 100fps, the game
> will still jump or jerk quite often.

At least it's not the bald-headed Hitman doing the jerking. The game
didn't have a whole lot of hype, so I can't tell if it was a console
conversion, which might be the reason for "jerking off".

> I tried disabling AA and AF, and turned off the post filer in the game. That
> speeds framerate alot, but the game will still "stutter", "jump". If I wasnt
> monitoring with the d3d framerate utility, I would swear it was due to low
> framerate, but it's not.
> Anyone else notice this?
>
> Barton 2800+
> Geforce FX 5900 (425/900mhz)
> Nvidia 56.72
> Asus A7n8X Deluxe
> WinXP Sp1 (fresh install, no adware, virus, etc).
> 1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel

Is there a released demo out there? My rig is somewhat similar to
yours, so it would be interesting to see what the deal is about.
April 28, 2004 10:33:42 AM

"edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:
> > > the game will still "stutter", "jump". If I
> > > wasnt monitoring with the d3d framerate utility, I would swear it was due > > > to low framerate, but it's not.
> > > Anyone else notice this?
> > >
> > >Barton 2800+
> > >Geforce FX 5900 (425/900mhz)
> > >Nvidia 56.72
> > >Asus A7n8X Deluxe
> > >WinXP Sp1 (fresh install, no adware, virus, etc).
> > >1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel
> > >

> > Got anything running in the background ?
> >
> > John Lewis
> >

> No, nothing. No antivirus or anything. I run the cleanest OS around.
> As mentioned this "skipping" happens even when the framerate is over 100fps.
> It's very odd, and perhaps most wouldnt notice it, but I sure do.

You use the integrated APU for the game sounds, right? I have a
feeling it might be the old "Soundstorm crackles and pops like Rice
Krispies" syndrome. Check out the sound settings from the game menu.
The Soundstorm doesen't like EAX. The sound may be the one causing
those odd flips and skips. For a related article, check out Guru3d's
latest soundcard article mentioning about this problem.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/127/6/
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 7:00:24 PM

Hmmm, no crackling at all.
I disabled EAX in the game. It's more of a visual stutter.
Like when you are running thru hallways, it will skip, then be fine for a
few seconds, then do it again. It's random.

"Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote in message
was due > > > to low framerate, but it's not.

> > > Got anything running in the background ?
> > >
> > > John Lewis
> > >

> > No, nothing. No antivirus or anything. I run the cleanest OS around.
> > As mentioned this "skipping" happens even when the framerate is over
100fps.
> > It's very odd, and perhaps most wouldnt notice it, but I sure do.
>

> You use the integrated APU for the game sounds, right? I have a
> feeling it might be the old "Soundstorm crackles and pops like Rice
> Krispies" syndrome. Check out the sound settings from the game menu.
> The Soundstorm doesen't like EAX. The sound may be the one causing
> those odd flips and skips. For a related article, check out Guru3d's
> latest soundcard article mentioning about this problem.
>
> http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/127/6/
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 7:02:03 PM

I think i might have heard somewhere that it was a console conversion.
I think I notice something similar in GTA Vice City.

> "edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:
> > Just installed Hitman 3 Contracts on my system.
> > I find it to be a little "jumpy", and "herky jerky". I run the game at
> > 1024x768, but the problem is still there even at 640x480. It's not
really a
> > framerate problem, because even when d3d is showing over 100fps, the
game
> > will still jump or jerk quite often.
>
> At least it's not the bald-headed Hitman doing the jerking. The game
> didn't have a whole lot of hype, so I can't tell if it was a console
> conversion, which might be the reason for "jerking off".
>
> > I tried disabling AA and AF, and turned off the post filer in the game.
That
> > speeds framerate alot, but the game will still "stutter", "jump". If I
wasnt
> > monitoring with the d3d framerate utility, I would swear it was due to
low
> > framerate, but it's not.
> > Anyone else notice this?
> >
> > Barton 2800+
> > Geforce FX 5900 (425/900mhz)
> > Nvidia 56.72
> > Asus A7n8X Deluxe
> > WinXP Sp1 (fresh install, no adware, virus, etc).
> > 1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel
>
> Is there a released demo out there? My rig is somewhat similar to
> yours, so it would be interesting to see what the deal is about.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 11:33:58 PM

edde wrote:
> Just installed Hitman 3 Contracts on my system.
> I find it to be a little "jumpy", and "herky jerky". I run the game at
> 1024x768, but the problem is still there even at 640x480. It's not
> really a framerate problem, because even when d3d is showing over
> 100fps, the game will still jump or jerk quite often.
> I tried disabling AA and AF, and turned off the post filer in the
> game. That speeds framerate alot, but the game will still "stutter",
> "jump". If I wasnt monitoring with the d3d framerate utility, I would
> swear it was due to low framerate, but it's not.
> Anyone else notice this?
>
> Barton 2800+
> Geforce FX 5900 (425/900mhz)
> Nvidia 56.72
> Asus A7n8X Deluxe
> WinXP Sp1 (fresh install, no adware, virus, etc).
> 1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel

I had a similar problem with Splinter cell 2. It was actually playing fine
for ages and then I loaded a saved game and it was jumpy as hell. Stuffed
around for ages changing settings and then loaded the level before (on a
previous save) and all was fine again. And I've now played through the
level that was jumping around and it played fine too. Not sure what was up
with it but it fixed itself.
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 11:28:28 AM

I had a similar stutter with 56.72 in colin mcrae. I went to desktop and
disabled the application controls for antialias anisthorphic but I let the
drivers hadle the settings not the game . The stutter was gone then. Try
this
"edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> I think i might have heard somewhere that it was a console conversion.
> I think I notice something similar in GTA Vice City.
>
> "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:
> > > Just installed Hitman 3 Contracts on my system.
> > > I find it to be a little "jumpy", and "herky jerky". I run the game at
> > > 1024x768, but the problem is still there even at 640x480. It's not
> really a
> > > framerate problem, because even when d3d is showing over 100fps, the
> game
> > > will still jump or jerk quite often.
> >
> > At least it's not the bald-headed Hitman doing the jerking. The game
> > didn't have a whole lot of hype, so I can't tell if it was a console
> > conversion, which might be the reason for "jerking off".
> >
> > > I tried disabling AA and AF, and turned off the post filer in the
game.
> That
> > > speeds framerate alot, but the game will still "stutter", "jump". If I
> wasnt
> > > monitoring with the d3d framerate utility, I would swear it was due to
> low
> > > framerate, but it's not.
> > > Anyone else notice this?
> > >
> > > Barton 2800+
> > > Geforce FX 5900 (425/900mhz)
> > > Nvidia 56.72
> > > Asus A7n8X Deluxe
> > > WinXP Sp1 (fresh install, no adware, virus, etc).
> > > 1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel
> >
> > Is there a released demo out there? My rig is somewhat similar to
> > yours, so it would be interesting to see what the deal is about.

Anonymous
May 5, 2004 11:28:29 AM

I'm not sure what you mean.
You mean set the AA and AF in the drivers to "Application"?
That would mean you disable AA and AF since there is no setting for this in
the game.

"wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I had a similar stutter with 56.72 in colin mcrae. I went to desktop and
> disabled the application controls for antialias anisthorphic but I let the
> drivers hadle the settings not the game . The stutter was gone then. Try
> this
> "edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> > I think i might have heard somewhere that it was a console conversion.
> > I think I notice something similar in GTA Vice City.
> >
> > "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > really a
> > game
> > >
> > > At least it's not the bald-headed Hitman doing the jerking. The game
> > > didn't have a whole lot of hype, so I can't tell if it was a console
> > > conversion, which might be the reason for "jerking off".

> game.
> > That
> > wasnt
> > low

> > > Is there a released demo out there? My rig is somewhat similar to
> > > yours, so it would be interesting to see what the deal is about.

Anonymous
May 5, 2004 5:40:31 PM

Your not disabling it . Just dissable where its says let app control anti
and alias . You set them here . My game is smooth now .
> I'm not sure what you mean.
> You mean set the AA and AF in the drivers to "Application"?
> That would mean you disable AA and AF since there is no setting for this
in
> the game.
>
> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I had a similar stutter with 56.72 in colin mcrae. I went to desktop and
> > disabled the application controls for antialias anisthorphic but I let
the
> > drivers hadle the settings not the game . The stutter was gone then. Try
> > this
> > "edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> > > I think i might have heard somewhere that it was a console conversion.
> > > I think I notice something similar in GTA Vice City.
> > >
> > > "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> at
> > > really a
> > > game