file transfers

dmb

I have a 5 year old Gateway Performance 450. When I get a new computer
soon, will it be possible to transfer files to the new machine using a USB
removable memory stick? That is, will the that sort of thing be compatible
with the USB ports on the old computer? I'm sure the old computer doesn't
have USB 2.0, if that matters. Will the memory stick be recognized as a new
device so I can write to it as if it were a disk drive?

Thanks,
DB

It should - it'll be slow, but should work.

"DMB" <nospamplease@starpower.net> wrote in message
>I have a 5 year old Gateway Performance 450. When I get a new computer
> soon, will it be possible to transfer files to the new machine using a USB
> removable memory stick? That is, will the that sort of thing be
> compatible
> with the USB ports on the old computer? I'm sure the old computer doesn't
> have USB 2.0, if that matters. Will the memory stick be recognized as a
> new
> device so I can write to it as if it were a disk drive?
>
> Thanks,
> DB

If your Gateway Performance 450 is running Windows 98 or later, then its USB
should be in good working order. Not sure if the memory stick needs drivers for
98 or ME.

But why trouble yourself with a USB memory stick? Network the two computers
together, assuming that the old one has a network card. To do the two computers
all by themselves, you need a special Cat 5 crossover cable. This is different
than the usual Cat 5 Ethernet straight cable, but readily available. MUCH
easier... Ben Myers

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:01:41 -0500, "DMB" <nospamplease@starpower.net> wrote:

>I have a 5 year old Gateway Performance 450. When I get a new computer
>soon, will it be possible to transfer files to the new machine using a USB
>removable memory stick? That is, will the that sort of thing be compatible
>with the USB ports on the old computer? I'm sure the old computer doesn't
>have USB 2.0, if that matters. Will the memory stick be recognized as a new
>device so I can write to it as if it were a disk drive?
>
>Thanks,
>DB

dmb

I'm fairly sure the old one doesn't have a network card. I guess I could
install one. I'll give it some thought. Thanks to Ed and Ben for
responding.

> If your Gateway Performance 450 is running Windows 98 or later, then its
USB
> should be in good working order. Not sure if the memory stick needs
drivers for
> 98 or ME.
>
> But why trouble yourself with a USB memory stick? Network the two
computers
> together, assuming that the old one has a network card. To do the two
computers
> all by themselves, you need a special Cat 5 crossover cable. This is
different
> than the usual Cat 5 Ethernet straight cable, but readily available. MUCH
> easier... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:01:41 -0500, "DMB" <nospamplease@starpower.net>
wrote:

> >I have a 5 year old Gateway Performance 450. When I get a new computer
> >soon, will it be possible to transfer files to the new machine using a
USB
> >removable memory stick? That is, will the that sort of thing be
compatible
> >with the USB ports on the old computer? I'm sure the old computer
doesn't
> >have USB 2.0, if that matters. Will the memory stick be recognized as a
new
> >device so I can write to it as if it were a disk drive?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >DB

TRENDING THREADS