Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Firewall 192.168.1.1

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 13, 2005 2:13:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

My home network has a mix of hard-wired and wireless computers
running on a Linksys router with a Linksys wireless access point.

Some of the computers have a fixed address, the others are set by the
dhcp server. Zone Alarm Pro is installed on all computers and it seems
to work well.

When looking at the VisualZone report for Zone Alarm, it appears that
Zone Alarm is blocking a lot of attempted connections from the router
at 192.168.1.1.

This is the address that I use access the routers configuration page.
Should I allow Zone Alarm to block this address? Would adding it as a
"trusted" address in Zone Alarm create any security issues?

TIA

More about : firewall 192 168

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 13, 2005 1:38:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:13:39 -0400, Ajax wrote:

> My home network has a mix of hard-wired and wireless computers
> running on a Linksys router with a Linksys wireless access point.
>
> Some of the computers have a fixed address, the others are set by the
> dhcp server. Zone Alarm Pro is installed on all computers and it seems
> to work well.
>
> When looking at the VisualZone report for Zone Alarm, it appears that
> Zone Alarm is blocking a lot of attempted connections from the router
> at 192.168.1.1.
>
> This is the address that I use access the routers configuration page.
> Should I allow Zone Alarm to block this address? Would adding it as a
> "trusted" address in Zone Alarm create any security issues?

You can block anything that the software lets you configure. However, if
you start blocking your LAN IP addresses, wouldn't that stop your LAN from
working? I use Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 behind a Netgear FR114p. I
have three trusted LAN IP addresses:

192.168.3.0/24
192.168.102.0/24
172.29.61.0/16

The only security implications in my configuration would be anybody who
physically connects to any segment; all segments are strictly wired.
Wireless has its own security implications apart from trusted IP addresses.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
~now in the air the spring is coming.
~Sweet, blowing wind,
~singing down the hills and valleys.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 13, 2005 4:37:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Ajax <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:1glqf1dsnpo8lobr7n2cuj4tu5f5nh2ki3@
4ax.com:

> My home network has a mix of hard-wired and wireless computers
> running on a Linksys router with a Linksys wireless access point.
>
> Some of the computers have a fixed address, the others are set by the
> dhcp server. Zone Alarm Pro is installed on all computers and it seems
> to work well.
>
> When looking at the VisualZone report for Zone Alarm, it appears that
> Zone Alarm is blocking a lot of attempted connections from the router
> at 192.168.1.1.
>
> This is the address that I use access the routers configuration page.
> Should I allow Zone Alarm to block this address? Would adding it as a
> "trusted" address in Zone Alarm create any security issues?
>
> TIA
>

Device IP, the range of the allowed DHCP IP(s) and the Static IP of the
router were allowed to access the machines on the LAN. The personal FW on
all machines was configuerd to allow the traafic from the IP(s).

Duane :) 
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 13, 2005 5:36:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <1l4314skay6ih$.dlg@aol.prodigy.net>,
spammers.are@immoral.invalid says...
> You can block anything that the software lets you configure. However, if
> you start blocking your LAN IP addresses, wouldn't that stop your LAN from
> working? I use Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 behind a Netgear FR114p. I
> have three trusted LAN IP addresses:
>
> 192.168.3.0/24
> 192.168.102.0/24
> 172.29.61.0/16
>
> The only security implications in my configuration would be anybody who
> physically connects to any segment; all segments are strictly wired.
> Wireless has its own security implications apart from trusted IP addresses.

Notice that you're not using 192.168.1.x and not using 192.168.0.x as
trusted - that's really very good. If you always trust the two ranges
above may as well not have a firewall, since those are the default
ranges of most home routers and many businesses.

I don't run my home or any of the businesses we setup in the default
ranges of any of the Home/SOHO router devices, which means that when
people go to a hotel or another network it's very likely that they won't
default to allowing all communications.


--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
February 7, 2009 4:15:43 AM

I need some help with my Linksys
February 13, 2009 6:39:55 PM

Let's make it work!
February 14, 2009 10:57:40 AM

Hi,

It is such a nice stuff and I really like it. Thank you so much for sharing.

Stella


Car Loans


Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 14, 2009 11:32:51 AM

stellaf said:
Hi,

It is such a nice stuff and I really like it. Thank you so much for sharing.

Stella


Car Loans


F***ing SPAMMER!
!