Blurry text

Hopefully someone here can help me out. I just finished building a
system for my sister but all the text is blurry (ghosting?). The best
way I can describe it is that it looks as though each letter is
overlapping a faiter version of itself.

The system's specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus V1.0
512MB Kingston PC2700
PNY GeForce FX 5200 128MB
Samsung SyncMaster 763MB
Windows 2000
I installed the NVidia 56.64 drivers (I was talking to someone at the
store where I bought the video card and he said these were better than
the newer drivers)
Screen resolution of 1024X768 and currently with a refresh of 72 Hz.
If I raise the refresh rate it gets worse.

I noticed this after installing the drivers. I was running windows at
the default settings while I was updating everything so I dont know if
I would have noticed it before hand since its not as bad at lower
resolutions/refresh rate.

Ive search a little online but I can't seem to find anything that
helps. I plan on trying out a different monitor. Does anyone have
any ideas as to whats going on or what I can do to fix this? Its
literally giving me a headache.

Thanks
=Brian
5 answers Last reply
More about blurry text

    On 27 Apr 2004 13:55:50 -0700,
    Brian <spud13@mailcity.com> said...

    > Hopefully someone here can help me out. I just finished building a
    > system for my sister but all the text is blurry (ghosting?). The best
    > way I can describe it is that it looks as though each letter is
    > overlapping a faiter version of itself.
    >
    > The system's specs are:
    > AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    > Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus V1.0
    > 512MB Kingston PC2700
    > PNY GeForce FX 5200 128MB
    > Samsung SyncMaster 763MB
    > Windows 2000
    > I installed the NVidia 56.64 drivers (I was talking to someone at the
    > store where I bought the video card and he said these were better than
    > the newer drivers)
    > Screen resolution of 1024X768 and currently with a refresh of 72 Hz.
    > If I raise the refresh rate it gets worse.
    >
    > I noticed this after installing the drivers. I was running windows at
    > the default settings while I was updating everything so I dont know if
    > I would have noticed it before hand since its not as bad at lower
    > resolutions/refresh rate.
    >
    > Ive search a little online but I can't seem to find anything that
    > helps. I plan on trying out a different monitor. Does anyone have
    > any ideas as to whats going on or what I can do to fix this? Its
    > literally giving me a headache.
    >
    > Thanks
    > =Brian

    Some possibilities:

    1. Are you using a KVM switch? Some of these don't handle the video
    signal very well, especially for higher resolutions.

    2. Are you using a quality monitor cable? Try another (or another
    monitor, as you planned).

    3. Are you using an extension on your monitor cable? Remove it. That
    may fix your problem. If you're using an exceptionally long monitor
    cable, that could be problematic, too.

    Joe

    "Brian" <spud13@mailcity.com> wrote in message
    > Hopefully someone here can help me out. I just finished building a
    > system for my sister but all the text is blurry (ghosting?). The best
    > way I can describe it is that it looks as though each letter is
    > overlapping a faiter version of itself.

    Are you using a KVM switch?

    --
    huLLy

    >Are you using a KVM switch?

    That's what I'm thinking. Something related to the monitor. Try a different
    monitor cable and even another monitor if you have one.
    Also make sure the refresh rate is what your saying it is. You can make sure by
    using the on screen display for the monitor.

    "Brian" <spud13@mailcity.com> wrote in message
    > Hopefully someone here can help me out. I just finished building a
    > system for my sister but all the text is blurry (ghosting?). The best
    > way I can describe it is that it looks as though each letter is
    > overlapping a faiter version of itself.
    >
    > The system's specs are:
    > AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    > Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus V1.0
    > 512MB Kingston PC2700
    > PNY GeForce FX 5200 128MB
    > Samsung SyncMaster 763MB
    > Windows 2000
    > I installed the NVidia 56.64 drivers (I was talking to someone at the
    > store where I bought the video card and he said these were better than
    > the newer drivers)
    > Screen resolution of 1024X768 and currently with a refresh of 72 Hz.
    > If I raise the refresh rate it gets worse.
    >
    > I noticed this after installing the drivers. I was running windows at
    > the default settings while I was updating everything so I dont know if
    > I would have noticed it before hand since its not as bad at lower
    > resolutions/refresh rate.
    >
    > Ive search a little online but I can't seem to find anything that
    > helps. I plan on trying out a different monitor. Does anyone have
    > any ideas as to whats going on or what I can do to fix this? Its
    > literally giving me a headache.
    >
    > Thanks
    > =Brian

    You could try checking the font smothing options under "Display Properties /
    Appearance / Effects" it just might be set to Cleartype of which I personaly
    can't stand...

    I've had this - monitor cable damaged during house move in my case.

Nvidia Graphics