Some 6800 (non Ultra) specs...

Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.

GPU Speed 375MHz
Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram :(
12 pipelines
128MB Memory
$299US

It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950 but I
don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.

Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:

400/1100 - 2.0ns
16 pipelines
256MB Memory
$499US

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215
22 answers Last reply
More about some 6800 ultra specs

    Too_Much_Coffee ® wrote:

    > Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.
    >
    > GPU Speed 375MHz
    > Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram :(
    > 12 pipelines
    > 128MB Memory
    > $299US
    >
    > It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
    > faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950 but I
    > don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
    > some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.
    >
    > Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:
    >
    > 400/1100 - 2.0ns
    > 16 pipelines
    > 256MB Memory
    > $499US
    >

    > Too_Much_Coffee ®
    >
    > ---
    > Got GigaNews?
    > http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

    are those final and for sure? and where did you get this info. and if
    those are final, that memory is quite disapointing, eVGA wont change
    maybe others will, i HOPE?

    "Too_Much_Coffee ®" <looking@the.grrrls> wrote:
    > Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.
    >
    > GPU Speed 375MHz
    > Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram :(
    > 12 pipelines
    > 128MB Memory
    > $299US
    >
    > It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
    > faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950 but I
    > don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
    > some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.
    >
    > Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:
    >
    > 400/1100 - 2.0ns
    > 16 pipelines
    > 256MB Memory
    > $499US

    I have a feeling it will be a notch or two faster than FX5950.
    There's lot more to the architecture than memory speeds. The gap
    between 5900XT and a normal 5900 is smaller than one might think
    looking at the memory specs alone. The price of the basic 6800 will
    no doubt put FX5950 into a tight spot.

    "Too_Much_Coffee ®" <looking@the.grrrls> schreef in bericht
    > Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.
    >
    > GPU Speed 375MHz
    > Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram :(
    > 12 pipelines
    > 128MB Memory
    > $299US
    >
    > It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
    > faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950 but I
    > don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
    > some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.

    I really hope those memoryspeeds will be 800 mhz at least, otherwise my
    consideration of the NU will be not as enthiousiastic as it is now.With such
    a speed of 700Mhz, i think 6800XT would be an appropiate name (not saying
    that something is wrong with that, it's just that 299$ for an XT is not
    exactly cheap).

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:55:19 -0700, "Too_Much_Coffee ®"
    <looking@the.grrrls> wrote:

    >Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.
    >
    >GPU Speed 375MHz
    >Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram :(
    >12 pipelines
    >128MB Memory
    >$299US

    URL please for the original of the above specs...........
    also type of RAM.........

    John Lewis

    >It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
    >faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950 but I
    >don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
    >some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.
    >
    >Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:
    >
    >400/1100 - 2.0ns
    >16 pipelines
    >256MB Memory
    >$499US
    >

    >Too_Much_Coffee ®
    >
    >---
    >Got GigaNews?
    >http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/28/nvidia_geforce_6800_specs/

    Daniel

    Too_Much_Coffee ® wrote:
    > Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.
    >
    > GPU Speed 375MHz
    > Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram :(
    > 12 pipelines
    > 128MB Memory
    > $299US
    >
    > It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
    > faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950
    > but I don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some
    > manufacturers put some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.
    >
    > Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:
    >
    > 400/1100 - 2.0ns
    > 16 pipelines
    > 256MB Memory
    > $499US

    There may be a third 6800 card available. The "6800 PRO" would also have 12
    pipelines and have the GPU at 350/375MHz but the memory would be at 1000MHz
    (DDR3). Same memory type as the Ultra. Priced at $399US.

    If there will be a way to get 16 pipelines, either by a hardware mod or by a
    change to the BIOS, this would be the card to get.

    TMC

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 04:48:42 GMT, "Daniel"
    <daniel@vanguard-computers.com> wrote:

    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/28/nvidia_geforce_6800_specs/
    >
    > Daniel

    I'll wait for the official word, thank you.............although they
    were right about Ati not announcing the R420 on April 26. In this case
    they are quoting a German source of unknown veracity.

    John Lewis

    >"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:55:19 -0700, "Too_Much_Coffee ®"
    >> <looking@the.grrrls> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.
    >> >
    >> >GPU Speed 375MHz
    >> >Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram :(
    >> >12 pipelines
    >> >128MB Memory
    >> >$299US
    >> >

    >> URL please for the original of the above specs...........
    >> also type of RAM.........
    >>
    >> John Lewis

    how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
    >>some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.
    >>

    > I really hope those memoryspeeds will be 800 mhz at least, otherwise my
    > consideration of the NU will be not as enthiousiastic as it is now.With such
    > a speed of 700Mhz, i think 6800XT would be an appropiate name (not saying
    > that something is wrong with that, it's just that 299$ for an XT is not
    > exactly cheap).

    They have to spec slow RAM so as to differentiate
    between the ultra and non. Even though the faster RAM
    might only raise the build cost by $10. If they used
    2.2 ns RAM on the non, then who would pay $200 extra for a marginally
    better ultra?

    > I'll wait for the official word, thank you.............although they
    > were right about Ati not announcing the R420 on April 26. In this case

    Well, I'll tell you that ATI will not be announcing R420 on April 29th
    either. Now, I guess I'll get my list of 6800 non-ultra specs ready for
    the group. :)

    "jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> schreef in bericht
    > how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
    > >>some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.
    > >>

    > > I really hope those memoryspeeds will be 800 mhz at least, otherwise my
    > > consideration of the NU will be not as enthiousiastic as it is now.With
    such
    > > a speed of 700Mhz, i think 6800XT would be an appropiate name (not
    saying
    > > that something is wrong with that, it's just that 299$ for an XT is not
    > > exactly cheap).
    > >

    > They have to spec slow RAM so as to differentiate
    > between the ultra and non. Even though the faster RAM
    > might only raise the build cost by $10. If they used
    > 2.2 ns RAM on the non, then who would pay $200 extra for a marginally
    > better ultra?

    33% more pipes and membandwidth is not what i call marginal.
    Anyway,you're probably right, but i was hoping the Utra was the great card,
    but the 6800 was the great deal. I guess i was naive. It is rumoured that a
    Pro will come with 375core, 1000Mhz mem , 12 pipes at 399$ ....

    So then we'll have imho 3 cards which are "ok deal" , nothing more.

    > So then we'll have imho 3 cards which are "ok deal" , nothing more.

    If NVidia won't offer a great deal, perhaps ATI will. A great deal from
    ATI may encourage NVidia to come up with one of its own deals.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Anyway,you're probably right, but i was hoping the Utra was the great card,
    > but the 6800 was the great deal. I guess i was naive.

    When I saw the $299 price, I thought
    "too good to be true". Sure enough, there was a huge
    catch.

    It is rumoured that a
    > Pro will come with 375core, 1000Mhz mem , 12 pipes at 399$ ....
    >
    > So then we'll have imho 3 cards which are "ok deal" , nothing more.

    Exactly right. nvidia isn't going to give a 'great' deal,
    even if it means artificially slowing down the performance.

    I'm in need of a better card, my 5600U doesn't cut it for the
    latest games. My stradegy is to wait until I see
    how the $299 6800 card stacks up against a 5900Xt, then decide if
    the extra money is worth it. Could be that after watering down
    performance (vs a 6800U), the $299 6800 card may not be
    that much better than a 5900XT.

    Jeff B

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > I'm in need of a better card, my 5600U doesn't cut it for the
    > latest games. My stradegy is to wait until I see
    > how the $299 6800 card stacks up against a 5900Xt, then decide if
    > the extra money is worth it. Could be that after watering down
    > performance (vs a 6800U), the $299 6800 card may not be
    > that much better than a 5900XT.

    It'll probably be similar to the TI4600 versus the 5600. The high-end FX
    cards will most likely be better than the non-ultra 6800 cards. That's how
    Nvidia seems to want to play it.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    tq96 wrote:
    >> I'll wait for the official word, thank you.............although they
    >> were right about Ati not announcing the R420 on April 26. In this
    >> case
    >
    > Now, I guess I'll get my list of 6800 non-ultra specs ready
    > for the group. :)

    Yeah, why don't you do that? Let's see how they compare with what's already
    been posted. :)

    TMC
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Exactly right. nvidia isn't going to give a 'great' deal,
    > even if it means artificially slowing down the performance.

    May i remind you the've given very good price/performance deals before;
    5900XT and Ti4200. 4200 sold like sliced bread, and nVidia made decent money
    out of it.

    > I'm in need of a better card, my 5600U doesn't cut it for the
    > latest games. My stradegy is to wait until I see
    > how the $299 6800 card stacks up against a 5900Xt, then decide if
    > the extra money is worth it. Could be that after watering down
    > performance (vs a 6800U), the $299 6800 card may not be
    > that much better than a 5900XT.

    I am sure that even with 700Mhz it will be way better than the XT, even
    quite a bit better than the 5950(look at those ps2.0 benches for example,
    look at the AA). It's up to you to decide for your case, but I will pay the
    extra any day.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Too_Much_Coffee ® wrote:
    > > Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.
    > >
    > > GPU Speed 375MHz
    > > Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram :(
    > > 12 pipelines
    > > 128MB Memory
    > > $299US
    > >
    > > It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
    > > faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950
    > > but I don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some
    > > manufacturers put some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.
    > >
    > > Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:
    > >
    > > 400/1100 - 2.0ns
    > > 16 pipelines
    > > 256MB Memory
    > > $499US
    > >

    > There may be a third 6800 card available. The "6800 PRO" would also have
    12
    > pipelines and have the GPU at 350/375MHz but the memory would be at
    1000MHz
    > (DDR3). Same memory type as the Ultra. Priced at $399US.
    >
    > If there will be a way to get 16 pipelines, either by a hardware mod or by
    > change to the BIOS, this would be the card to get.

    New rumor : the Pro(GT) will have 16 pipelines enabled...
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.computerbase.de%2fnews%2fhardware%2fgrafikkarten%2fnvidia%2f2004%2fapril%2fgeforce_6800_modellen%2f

    6800Ultra
    400/550
    16pipes
    256MB DDR3

    6800GT
    350/500
    16pipes
    256MB DDR3

    6800
    325/350
    12pipes
    128MB DDR1
    (256MB boards are sure to come too)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Jelle wrote:
    > "Too_Much_Coffee ®" <looking@the.grrrls> schreef in bericht
    >> Too_Much_Coffee ® wrote:
    >>> Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.
    >>>
    >>> GPU Speed 375MHz
    >>> Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram :(
    >>> 12 pipelines
    >>> 128MB Memory
    >>> $299US
    >>>
    >>> It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card
    >>> much faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the
    >>> 5950 but I don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some
    >>> manufacturers put some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra
    >>> cards.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:
    >>>
    >>> 400/1100 - 2.0ns
    >>> 16 pipelines
    >>> 256MB Memory
    >>> $499US
    >>>

    >> There may be a third 6800 card available. The "6800 PRO" would also
    >> have 12 pipelines and have the GPU at 350/375MHz but the memory
    >> would be at 1000MHz (DDR3). Same memory type as the Ultra. Priced at
    >> $399US.
    >>
    >> If there will be a way to get 16 pipelines, either by a hardware mod
    >> or by a change to the BIOS, this would be the card to get.
    >>

    > New rumor : the Pro(GT) will have 16 pipelines enabled...

    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&url=http
    %3a%2f%2fwww.computerbase.de%2fnews%2fhardware%2fgrafikkarten%2fnvidia%2f200
    4%2fapril%2fgeforce_6800_modellen%2f

    > 6800Ultra
    > 400/550
    > 16pipes
    > 256MB DDR3
    >
    > 6800GT
    > 350/500
    > 16pipes
    > 256MB DDR3

    The difference between this model and the Ultra is so small I don't know why
    anybody would get an Ultra. The memory on the Ultra is already overclocked.
    I would just get the GT and overclock it a bit for $100 less. The *rumored*
    specs for the PRO (?) put the card more in the center between the Ultra and
    the non-Ultra so the card made sense.

    If the Ultra and GT numbers are true it would be like manufacturing the 5900
    Ultra and the 5950 Ultra at the same time and trying to get people to buy
    the 5950 because it's 5 fps faster; but 25% more expensive.

    > 6800
    > 325/350
    > 12pipes
    > 128MB DDR1
    > (256MB boards are sure to come too)

    This is the card I will choose if one of the manufacturers puts some 2.5 or
    2.2ns ram on the card; and don't charge an arm and a leg for it. :)
    128MB is all I need.

    TMC
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    This one could go either way, so I'm standing pat till
    I see benchmarks.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > > 6800Ultra
    > > 400/550
    > > 16pipes
    > > 256MB DDR3
    > >
    > > 6800GT
    > > 350/500
    > > 16pipes
    > > 256MB DDR3
    >
    > The difference between this model and the Ultra is so small I don't know
    why
    > anybody would get an Ultra. The memory on the Ultra is already
    overclocked.

    Well there are some people who will be prepared to pay the premium to get
    the best, that is where their way of thinking differs from yours (and their
    wallet might differ too ;-) )

    > I would just get the GT and overclock it a bit for $100 less. The
    *rumored*
    > specs for the PRO (?) put the card more in the center between the Ultra
    and
    > the non-Ultra so the card made sense.

    True, but what if that site is right about too good yields to leave all
    those 4 pipes disabled on the Pro/GT ?
    Another rumour has come up that the Ultra will get a speed bump to 475, as
    it seems the best nV40's can do that. 475Ultra against 350Pro makes 100$
    difference sensible.

    Let's assume the Ati en Nv will be almostequal
    on a clock for clock basis per pipe.
    The math would be with the speculated numbers:
    X800Pro: 12x475 = 5700
    6800Pro: 16x350= 5600

    X800XT: 16x500= 8000
    6800Ultra: 16x475= 7600
    The mem speeds of above models are also quite the same.
    Since we don´t know if they are equal fast clock per clock we don´t know if
    above math is worth alot, but I was struck by the x800pro and 6800pro
    outcome....
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    You could get the the pro and just over clocked that to the ultra specs.
    "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message
    > > > 6800Ultra
    > > > 400/550
    > > > 16pipes
    > > > 256MB DDR3
    > > >
    > > > 6800GT
    > > > 350/500
    > > > 16pipes
    > > > 256MB DDR3
    > >
    > > The difference between this model and the Ultra is so small I don't know
    > why
    > > anybody would get an Ultra. The memory on the Ultra is already
    > overclocked.
    >
    > Well there are some people who will be prepared to pay the premium to get
    > the best, that is where their way of thinking differs from yours (and
    their
    > wallet might differ too ;-) )
    >
    > > I would just get the GT and overclock it a bit for $100 less. The
    > *rumored*
    > > specs for the PRO (?) put the card more in the center between the Ultra
    > and
    > > the non-Ultra so the card made sense.
    > >
    > True, but what if that site is right about too good yields to leave all
    > those 4 pipes disabled on the Pro/GT ?
    > Another rumour has come up that the Ultra will get a speed bump to 475, as
    > it seems the best nV40's can do that. 475Ultra against 350Pro makes 100$
    > difference sensible.
    >
    > Let's assume the Ati en Nv will be almostequal
    > on a clock for clock basis per pipe.
    > The math would be with the speculated numbers:
    > X800Pro: 12x475 = 5700
    > 6800Pro: 16x350= 5600
    >
    > X800XT: 16x500= 8000
    > 6800Ultra: 16x475= 7600
    > The mem speeds of above models are also quite the same.
    > Since we don´t know if they are equal fast clock per clock we don´t know
    if
    > above math is worth alot, but I was struck by the x800pro and 6800pro
    > outcome....

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    oops spoke to soon . I guess it wont matter since it only has 12 pipes.
    "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message
    > > > 6800Ultra
    > > > 400/550
    > > > 16pipes
    > > > 256MB DDR3
    > > >
    > > > 6800GT
    > > > 350/500
    > > > 16pipes
    > > > 256MB DDR3
    > >
    > > The difference between this model and the Ultra is so small I don't know
    > why
    > > anybody would get an Ultra. The memory on the Ultra is already
    > overclocked.
    >
    > Well there are some people who will be prepared to pay the premium to get
    > the best, that is where their way of thinking differs from yours (and
    their
    > wallet might differ too ;-) )
    >
    > > I would just get the GT and overclock it a bit for $100 less. The
    > *rumored*
    > > specs for the PRO (?) put the card more in the center between the Ultra
    > and
    > > the non-Ultra so the card made sense.
    > >
    > True, but what if that site is right about too good yields to leave all
    > those 4 pipes disabled on the Pro/GT ?
    > Another rumour has come up that the Ultra will get a speed bump to 475, as
    > it seems the best nV40's can do that. 475Ultra against 350Pro makes 100$
    > difference sensible.
    >
    > Let's assume the Ati en Nv will be almostequal
    > on a clock for clock basis per pipe.
    > The math would be with the speculated numbers:
    > X800Pro: 12x475 = 5700
    > 6800Pro: 16x350= 5600
    >
    > X800XT: 16x500= 8000
    > 6800Ultra: 16x475= 7600
    > The mem speeds of above models are also quite the same.
    > Since we don´t know if they are equal fast clock per clock we don´t know
    if
    > above math is worth alot, but I was struck by the x800pro and 6800pro
    > outcome....

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    wired and confused wrote:
    > oops spoke to soon . I guess it wont matter since it only has 12
    > pipes.

    The rumored 6800 GT ($399US) model is supposed to run at 350/1000 with 16
    pipes and the 6800 Ultra ($499US) at 400/1100 with 16 pipes. If this is what
    comes out, I would just get the GT and overclock it for $100 less. The 2.0ns
    ram on the Ultra is already overclocked so there would be no reason to buy
    the Ultra. The Pro version made more sense but I have seen photos showing
    the GT model's specs. We'll probably know for sure in another month.

    Why buy a 3200+ when you can buy a 2500+ and overclock it for A LOT less. :)

    TMC

    "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message

Nvidia RAM Graphics