XP/Win98 dualboot: Win98 can't see the card

I have a WinXP Pro/Win98SE dualboot system. Both operating systems start
without serious problems, WinXP is fine but Win98 won't see the nVidia
card.

I'm using the latest versions of the drivers dl'd from the nVidia site, but
the installer reports it cannot find an nVidia card in the PC.

I need to use Win98 as Creative Labs are a pile of wank and won't fix the
driver problem for the SBLive that cuts stereo polyphony to shreds under
WinME/XP. The problem does not occur under Win98 and I want to work with
some of the music that I originally composed under Win98.

Any ideas?
1 answer Last reply
More about win98 dualboot win98 card

    Well, what video card does the Win98se see? Take a look in Device
    Manager and check what card is reported present. You may have to
    un-install all drivers and the video card (While in Win98se) and start
    from scratch. You don't have to remove the card to un-install it, just
    do it from device manager. And don't let Win98se install any drivers
    except standard generic windows VGA drivers. (Just cancel any attempt
    by Win98 to install "best drivers". Then after your Win98 starts up
    with generic VGA drivers, install the correct drivers from CD or where
    ever you have them.

    Regards, hawk

    The Good Son wrote:
    > I have a WinXP Pro/Win98SE dualboot system. Both operating systems start
    > without serious problems, WinXP is fine but Win98 won't see the nVidia
    > card.
    >
    > I'm using the latest versions of the drivers dl'd from the nVidia site, but
    > the installer reports it cannot find an nVidia card in the PC.
    >
    > I need to use Win98 as Creative Labs are a pile of wank and won't fix the
    > driver problem for the SBLive that cuts stereo polyphony to shreds under
    > WinME/XP. The problem does not occur under Win98 and I want to work with
    > some of the music that I originally composed under Win98.
    >
    > Any ideas?

Nvidia Windows XP Graphics