What does 'XT' mean and is 256meg Worth having ?

1) What do the 'XT' and 'Ultra ' tags mean when refering to a card,eg FX
5600 'XT'
2) Is 256 meg worth the extra 10 quid ( ....english pounds... ) for an
FX5600

Cheers anyone.

"Jonathan Bishop" <Jonathan.Bishop@BTInternet.com> wrote in message news:<c6tqqa$6ad$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> 1) What do the 'XT' and 'Ultra ' tags mean when refering to a card,eg FX
> 5600 'XT'
> 2) Is 256 meg worth the extra 10 quid ( ....english pounds... ) for an
> FX5600
>
> Cheers anyone.

XT generally means "cut down version"

In case of the 5900XT it's just slower clocks and memory clocks, in
case of the 5600 though...they also cut the memory but through
half..thus making the card even slower......

And no in case of the FX5600XT..256Mb aint worth it....even on a 5700
Ultra anything more then 128Mb is totally not important!

Jonathan Bishop wrote:

> 1) What do the 'XT' and 'Ultra ' tags mean when refering to a card,eg FX
> 5600 'XT'

Standard clock speeds for the core and memory, and many times the also
the speed of the memory chips used, check those specs to see which you
prefer since 99 out of 100 times thats the cost difference.

> 2) Is 256 meg worth the extra 10 quid ( ....english pounds... ) for an
> FX5600

Thats entirely up to you, it would depend on exactly wwhat games you
play, and what games you want to play in the future, and how long you
plan on keeping the card.

Jonathan Bishop wrote:

> 1) What do the 'XT' and 'Ultra ' tags mean when refering to a card,eg FX
> 5600 'XT'

Lower clocked, like SE on ATIs, opposite of XT on ATIs just to confuse
you :)

> 2) Is 256 meg worth the extra 10 quid ( ....english pounds... ) for an
> FX5600

No. If anything required 256MB of texture, it would kill a 5600. I have
both 128 & 256MB versions of the 5600, the smaller one actually works
better but that may be down to it being Creative compared to Inno3D.

--
Error reading sig - A)bort R)etry I)nfluence with large hammer

5600 is stock card.
5600 XT has its clock slowed down.
5600 Ultra has its clock sped up.

--
DaveW

"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message news:<knAkc.576$_41.24783@attbi_s02>...
> 5600 is stock card.
> 5600 XT has its clock slowed down.
> 5600 Ultra has its clock sped up.
>
> --
> DaveW

Sorry DaveW there is ANOTHER difference, the FX5600XT has to go in
life with a mere 64-bits memory bus!

"Dark Avenger" <superxml@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> > 5600 is stock card.
> > 5600 XT has its clock slowed down.
> > 5600 Ultra has its clock sped up.
> >
> > --
> > DaveW
> >

> Sorry DaveW there is ANOTHER difference, the FX5600XT has to go in
> life with a mere 64-bits memory bus!

Not all 5600 XT have a 64 bit memory bus. In fact I hava a Gainward 5600 XT
that has a 128 bit memory bus. To make absolutely sure what your memory bus
is use an very popular called RivaTuner. It has never been wrong.

On 1 May 2004 02:51:23 -0700, superxml@yahoo.com (Dark Avenger) wrote:

>"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message news:<knAkc.576$_41.24783@attbi_s02>...
>> 5600 is stock card.
>> 5600 XT has its clock slowed down.
>> 5600 Ultra has its clock sped up.
>>
>> --
>> DaveW
>>

>Sorry DaveW there is ANOTHER difference, the FX5600XT has to go in
>life with a mere 64-bits memory bus!

5900xts are 128bit...

Remember: In the USA - it is illegal to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called.

15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.

God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

Thanks for the replies.....

"Jonathan Bishop" <Jonathan.Bishop@BTInternet.com> wrote in message
> 1) What do the 'XT' and 'Ultra ' tags mean when refering to a card,eg FX
> 5600 'XT'
> 2) Is 256 meg worth the extra 10 quid ( ....english pounds... ) for an
> FX5600
>
> Cheers anyone.

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, superxml@yahoo.com (Dark
Avenger) posted on 30 Apr 2004 15:49:19 -0700:

> XT generally means "cut down version"

If I'd known that, I wouldn't have gotten my Chaintech 5600XT.

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Trevor Best
<nospam@localhost> posted on Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:40:26 +0100:

> No. If anything required 256MB of texture, it would kill a 5600. I have
> both 128 & 256MB versions of the 5600, the smaller one actually works
> better but that may be down to it being Creative compared to Inno3D.

I didn't even know Creative was back in the graphics card business.

Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote in message news:<11be90di4s0krfpefcanurmivegtco956n@4ax.com>...
> In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, superxml@yahoo.com (Dark
> Avenger) posted on 30 Apr 2004 15:49:19 -0700:
>
> > XT generally means "cut down version"
>
> If I'd known that, I wouldn't have gotten my Chaintech 5600XT.

Well it is a political thing, ati had the XT extension for their top
cards.... so nvidia used it for their lame ass cards.... ..politics..

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "empireAA"
<nobody@noSPAM.com> posted on Sat, 01 May 2004 20:03:27 GMT:

> Not all 5600 XT have a 64 bit memory bus. In fact I hava a Gainward 5600 XT
> that has a 128 bit memory bus. To make absolutely sure what your memory bus
> is use an very popular called RivaTuner. It has never been wrong.

Thanks for the tip. I tried the utility and found that the Chaintech
5600XT does only have a 64-bit memory bus.

Damaeus wrote:

> In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Trevor Best
> <nospam@localhost> posted on Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:40:26 +0100:
>

>>No. If anything required 256MB of texture, it would kill a 5600. I have
>>both 128 & 256MB versions of the 5600, the smaller one actually works
>>better but that may be down to it being Creative compared to Inno3D.
>

> I didn't even know Creative was back in the graphics card business.

Back? I didn't know they'd gone away :)
http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?cat=6

--

<nospam@localhost> posted on Tue, 04 May 2004 19:20:45 +0100:

> Damaeus wrote:
>
> > I didn't even know Creative was back in the graphics card business.
>
> Back? I didn't know they'd gone away :)
> http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?cat=6

Creative itself has been around, but the last card, AFAIK, that Creative
put out was the 3D Blaster Annihilator 2 Ultra, which was the GeForce 2
Ultra card. That was the one I purchased upon. The GeForce 3 line of
cards was on the horizon and Creative announced they would not be making
graphics cards anymore. Seems like I heard something about Creative
releasing cards for Europe, but not America.

On Wed, 05 May 2004 12:13:11 GMT, Damaeus
<no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote:

>In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Trevor Best
><nospam@localhost> posted on Tue, 04 May 2004 19:20:45 +0100:
>
>> Damaeus wrote:
>>
>> > I didn't even know Creative was back in the graphics card business.
>>
>> Back? I didn't know they'd gone away :)
>> http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?cat=6
>
>Creative itself has been around, but the last card, AFAIK, that Creative
>put out was the 3D Blaster Annihilator 2 Ultra, which was the GeForce 2
>Ultra card. That was the one I purchased upon. The GeForce 3 line of
>cards was on the horizon and Creative announced they would not be making
>graphics cards anymore. Seems like I heard something about Creative
>releasing cards for Europe, but not America.

They don't sell video cards in the USA.

Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)

God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.