RJ

Every so often, when doing intense gaming (although sometimes in Windows
itself) my monitor will randomly go black and the whole system will hang. No
BSOD, no nothing. Just a "No Signal" message from my monitor, almost as
though the monitor turned off.

My system is as follows:

Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
1024MB Corsair TwinX RAM
MSI nVidia GeForce FX 5900 XT
ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
420W PSU
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
Thermaltake Xaser III Case (with fans)
IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 19inch CRT Monitor
Win XP Home (all latest patches) and No Screensavers enabled!.

I have recently replaced the Graphics Card (Formerly Leadtek GeForce 4
4800SE), PSU (Formerly unbranded 350w) and the Corsair Memory is new too. I
have all the latest drivers installed from each of the manufacturers but
just can't seem to shake this problem.

I'm left think it's A) The Motherboard or B) A driver issue?

Any ideas?

TIA

RJ

BigJim

my board is a asus p4s533, I see they both have the sis chipset, maybe some
thought there.
How about a bios upgrade, if there is a fast write in the bios turn it off.

"RJ" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> Every so often, when doing intense gaming (although sometimes in Windows
> itself) my monitor will randomly go black and the whole system will hang.
No
> BSOD, no nothing. Just a "No Signal" message from my monitor, almost as
> though the monitor turned off.
>
> My system is as follows:
>
> Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
> 1024MB Corsair TwinX RAM
> MSI nVidia GeForce FX 5900 XT
> ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
> 420W PSU
> Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
> Thermaltake Xaser III Case (with fans)
> IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 19inch CRT Monitor
> Win XP Home (all latest patches) and No Screensavers enabled!.
>
> I have recently replaced the Graphics Card (Formerly Leadtek GeForce 4
> 4800SE), PSU (Formerly unbranded 350w) and the Corsair Memory is new too.
> have all the latest drivers installed from each of the manufacturers but
> just can't seem to shake this problem.
>
> I'm left think it's A) The Motherboard or B) A driver issue?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> RJ

RJ

"BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote

> my board is a asus p4s533, I see they both have the sis chipset, maybe
some
> thought there.

I'm thinking of ditching the MB in favour of an Intel one if I can't fix
this thing. Windows rebuild ahead (sigh!)

> How about a bios upgrade, if there is a fast write in the bios turn it
off.

I have both latest Bios upgrade and AGP driver upgrade from ASUS / SiS but
to no avail. There is an additional bios that has been in "Beta" for almost
a year but I'm reluctant to install that for that very reason.

Thanks

RJ

"RJ" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> Every so often, when doing intense gaming (although sometimes in Windows
> itself) my monitor will randomly go black and the whole system will hang.
No
> BSOD, no nothing. Just a "No Signal" message from my monitor, almost as
> though the monitor turned off.

I had that exact same problem. It seems to be gone now. It seems like all
I did was uninstall the Nvidia driver, made sure the entire Nvidia registry
key was gone, then reinstalled the driver, and it quit failing.
The primary difficulty I had with this is that Windows XP automatically
loads a new Nvidia driver, before I had a chance to install the newest one,
so I never got it really clean, but my system works now.

Stuart

"Stuart Pierce" <stuartwpREMOVE@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> "RJ" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> > Every so often, when doing intense gaming (although sometimes in Windows
> > itself) my monitor will randomly go black and the whole system will
hang.
> No
> > BSOD, no nothing. Just a "No Signal" message from my monitor, almost as
> > though the monitor turned off.
>
> I had that exact same problem. It seems to be gone now. It seems like
all
> I did was uninstall the Nvidia driver, made sure the entire Nvidia
registry
> key was gone, then reinstalled the driver, and it quit failing.
> The primary difficulty I had with this is that Windows XP automatically
> loads a new Nvidia driver, before I had a chance to install the newest
one,
> so I never got it really clean, but my system works now.
>
> Stuart

I should mention, in my case, the problem involved nv4_display.dll getting
stuck in an infinite loop. Check your event logs.

Stuart

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "RJ" <anon@anon.com> posted
on Sun, 2 May 2004 10:35:13 +0100:

> I'm thinking of ditching the MB in favour of an Intel one if I can't fix
> this thing. Windows rebuild ahead (sigh!)

All of my homebuilt computers have had AMD processors. I've had no
problems that would cause me to want to switch to Intel.