Continuing DVI frustration at 1280x1024 with Geforce2 MX 400

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RX490TV, which comes with a GeForce 2 MX 400 on
board, with DVI and analog connectors. OS is Windows XP. I have
never been able to (over the last several years) get the *)&)*(& thing
to work properly through the DVI connection to my Sony SDM-N80 monitor
at the native resolution of 1280x1024. Initially, there were supposed
to be both BIOS and driver problems that prevented any proper
synching. Now, I can get a picture--but the Nvidia software insists
that the monitor is only capable of 1024x768 maximum resolution. I am
guessing that this is either some sort of PNP problem, but I can't
figure out any way to disable PNP. There are also early (cerca 2001)
reports that some sort of chip called a TMDS on the GeForce might not
support 1280x1024. It drives me crazy to have a digital monitor with
a DVI video card--and have to run it in analog mode to support the
native resolution.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

Tom Koegel wrote:
> I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RX490TV, which comes with a GeForce 2 MX 400 on
> board, with DVI and analog connectors. OS is Windows XP. I have
> never been able to (over the last several years) get the *)&)*(& thing
> to work properly through the DVI connection to my Sony SDM-N80 monitor
> at the native resolution of 1280x1024. Initially, there were supposed
> to be both BIOS and driver problems that prevented any proper
> synching. Now, I can get a picture--but the Nvidia software insists
> that the monitor is only capable of 1024x768 maximum resolution. I am
> guessing that this is either some sort of PNP problem, but I can't
> figure out any way to disable PNP. There are also early (cerca 2001)
> reports that some sort of chip called a TMDS on the GeForce might not
> support 1280x1024. It drives me crazy to have a digital monitor with
> a DVI video card--and have to run it in analog mode to support the
> native resolution.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replace the GFX card. A basic PCI card (assuming you have no AGP slot) with
a DVI output these days (say, a Radeon 7000) only costs a few tens of
pounds, and it'll solve your problem. The fault almost certainly lies wuth
Sony cutting corners with their onboard solution.

TRENDING THREADS