56.72 force refresh rate broken?

Just upgraded from XP 53.03 to XP 56.72. Card is MSI Ti4200 8x 128MB. OS is
Server 2003 (Same driver as XP). System is dual P3-800 1GB ram.

Force refresh rates was working. I used it to play Quake 3 Arena at
1280x1024 and force refresh rate to 100. Now it's broken. Regardless of
setting app or force refresh rate to 100, it never changes to 100hz in Q3A.
Also tried several other resolutions.

I'm guessing this is old news to people who have already tried 56.72 but I
just wanted to confirm if this has already been seen before.

I can go back to 53.03. I just wanted to see how much was broken in 56.72,
and if it made any difference for Q3A benchmarks.

"Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote in

> Just upgraded from XP 53.03 to XP 56.72. Card is MSI Ti4200 8x 128MB.
> OS is Server 2003 (Same driver as XP). System is dual P3-800 1GB ram.
>
> Force refresh rates was working. I used it to play Quake 3 Arena at
> 1280x1024 and force refresh rate to 100. Now it's broken. Regardless
> of setting app or force refresh rate to 100, it never changes to 100hz
> in Q3A. Also tried several other resolutions.
>
> I'm guessing this is old news to people who have already tried 56.72 but
> I just wanted to confirm if this has already been seen before.
>
> I can go back to 53.03. I just wanted to see how much was broken in
> 56.72, and if it made any difference for Q3A benchmarks.

Found the answer to my own question. The NVIDIA Display Driver Service needs
to be running for the driver to force refresh rates. I had stopped this
service. Soon as I started this service, and re-started the game, it was
forced to 100hz refresh rate.

So I guess we know one more thing this service does. The other thing that
this service does is stick nvcpl.dll into the windows run key of the
registry.