Flashing 'scratched' with Nvidia GeForce 440MX

I have a Geforce 440MX card 64mb. Since a few weeks ago, whenever i play
Flight Sim 2004 (or other 3D games) i have started to get what i can only
describe as 'flashing scratches' on screen, It looks like what old films
look like, flashing 'spikes' which seem to flash all over the screen.

I downloaded the latest video drivers, but no luck. I then 'downgraded' to
drivers (5.6.7.2 6.13.10.2942 53.04 2.20wdm) and the same.

Is it the drivers. or is it some setting on the graphics card software ?

What can i do to resolve this (i'm a novice-intermediate !)

WinXP Pro, 640RAM, Athlon 2.2GHz, Nvidia Geforce 4 card (64mb).

Cheers
Andy
9 answers Last reply
More about flashing scratched nvidia geforce 440mx

    "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | I have a Geforce 440MX card 64mb. Since a few weeks ago, whenever i play
    | Flight Sim 2004 (or other 3D games) i have started to get what i can only
    | describe as 'flashing scratches' on screen, It looks like what old films
    | look like, flashing 'spikes' which seem to flash all over the screen.
    |
    | I downloaded the latest video drivers, but no luck. I then 'downgraded' to
    | drivers (5.6.7.2 6.13.10.2942 53.04 2.20wdm) and the same.
    |
    | Is it the drivers. or is it some setting on the graphics card software ?
    |
    | What can i do to resolve this (i'm a novice-intermediate !)
    |
    | WinXP Pro, 640RAM, Athlon 2.2GHz, Nvidia Geforce 4 card (64mb).
    |
    | Cheers
    | Andy

    Sounds suspiciously like an overheating problem, is it overclocked, or have
    you had fans fail in your case?

    Nope !, the chip stays at around 52C and always has done even when i wasn't
    having this problem !

    Cheers
    Andy

    "Biz" <biznospam@att.net> wrote in message

    > "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > | I have a Geforce 440MX card 64mb. Since a few weeks ago, whenever i play
    > | Flight Sim 2004 (or other 3D games) i have started to get what i can
    only
    > | describe as 'flashing scratches' on screen, It looks like what old films
    > | look like, flashing 'spikes' which seem to flash all over the screen.
    > |
    > | I downloaded the latest video drivers, but no luck. I then 'downgraded'
    > | drivers (5.6.7.2 6.13.10.2942 53.04 2.20wdm) and the same.
    > |
    > | Is it the drivers. or is it some setting on the graphics card software ?
    > |
    > | What can i do to resolve this (i'm a novice-intermediate !)
    > |
    > | WinXP Pro, 640RAM, Athlon 2.2GHz, Nvidia Geforce 4 card (64mb).
    > |
    > | Cheers
    > | Andy
    > |

    > Sounds suspiciously like an overheating problem, is it overclocked, or
    have
    > you had fans fail in your case?

    I would try either the 41.09 or 45.23 drivers. They've both proven to be
    very stable with GF4 products. I've been using the 45.23's on my ti4600
    with no problems since they were released.

    45.23: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_45.23.html

    41.09: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_41.09.html

    > Nope !, the chip stays at around 52C and always has done even when i
    wasn't
    > having this problem !
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andy
    >

    > "Biz" <biznospam@att.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > | I have a Geforce 440MX card 64mb. Since a few weeks ago, whenever i
    play
    > > | Flight Sim 2004 (or other 3D games) i have started to get what i can
    > only
    > > | describe as 'flashing scratches' on screen, It looks like what old
    films
    > > | look like, flashing 'spikes' which seem to flash all over the screen.
    > > |
    > > | I downloaded the latest video drivers, but no luck. I then
    'downgraded'
    > > | drivers (5.6.7.2 6.13.10.2942 53.04 2.20wdm) and the same.
    > > |
    > > | Is it the drivers. or is it some setting on the graphics card software
    ?

    > > | What can i do to resolve this (i'm a novice-intermediate !)
    > > |
    > > | WinXP Pro, 640RAM, Athlon 2.2GHz, Nvidia Geforce 4 card (64mb).
    > > |
    > > | Cheers
    > > | Andy
    > > |

    > > Sounds suspiciously like an overheating problem, is it overclocked, or
    > have
    > > you had fans fail in your case?

    "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | Nope !, the chip stays at around 52C and always has done even when i
    wasn't
    | having this problem !

    Then it is probably bad memory, or more accurately memory beginning to fail.
    I'm unclear, is it overclocked or not? IMO 52C is alittle on the warm side.

    Cheers, i'll give them a go !

    Andy

    Andy100 wrote:
    > Nope !, the chip stays at around 52C and always has done even when i
    > wasn't having this problem !

    52C is too hot - 45C should not be exceeded

    Normally 47C, but with games it goes up to 52C.

    The new drivers didn't make a lot of difference !!

    Cheers anyway.
    Andy

    "CitySlicker" <nospam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Andy100 wrote:
    > > Nope !, the chip stays at around 52C and always has done even when i
    > > wasn't having this problem !

    > 52C is too hot - 45C should not be exceeded

    Andy,
    Are you talking about the CPU or the GPU (Graphic card) temperature ? I
    don't think any GF4 has temperature monitoring.
    If you'r talking about the CPU temperature it has nothing to do with your
    GPU.
    Make sure the GPU fan is working OK, and clean any dust there. You can also
    try to oil the fan with sawing machine (Or WD40) oil.
    If you'll get some improvement after cleaning the dust and oiling it prepare
    to buy a new card.

    Tal

    > Normally 47C, but with games it goes up to 52C.
    >
    > The new drivers didn't make a lot of difference !!
    >
    > Cheers anyway.
    > Andy
    >

    > "CitySlicker" <nospam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > > Andy100 wrote:
    > > > Nope !, the chip stays at around 52C and always has done even when i
    > > > wasn't having this problem !

    > > 52C is too hot - 45C should not be exceeded

    Cheers Tal, hadn't thought of that, but i'll give it a go !

    Cheers
    Andy

    "Tal Fucus" <fuchs_t@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
    > Andy,
    > Are you talking about the CPU or the GPU (Graphic card) temperature ? I
    > don't think any GF4 has temperature monitoring.
    > If you'r talking about the CPU temperature it has nothing to do with your
    > GPU.
    > Make sure the GPU fan is working OK, and clean any dust there. You can
    also
    > try to oil the fan with sawing machine (Or WD40) oil.
    > If you'll get some improvement after cleaning the dust and oiling it
    prepare
    > to buy a new card.
    >
    > Tal
    >

    > "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Normally 47C, but with games it goes up to 52C.
    > >
    > > The new drivers didn't make a lot of difference !!
    > >
    > > Cheers anyway.
    > > Andy
    > >

    > > "CitySlicker" <nospam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

    > > > 52C is too hot - 45C should not be exceeded

Nvidia Drivers Geforce Graphics