WOW ! I'm feeling pretty good about my FX5900XT purchase

I decided not to wait for the new Nvidia and ATI video cards before
upgrading by GF4 TI4200 64MB card. My budget for a new card was not in
the $300-$500 range anyway.

Even though my TI4200 64MB card was working great in the UT2004 demo, I
decided to upgrade for the retail game. I had read that the textures in
the retail game were twice as large. I wasn't sure that 64MB would cut
it anymore. Plus, after about 2 years I was ready for an upgrade.

The FX5900XT is the price/performance champ in the FX lineup. So, I
bought a Leadtek FX5900XT from newegg.

Looking at the firingsquad.com benchmarks for the new ATI and Nvidia
video cards I'm pretty satisfied with my choice. At the resolution I run
UT2004 at (1024x768x32) the FX5900XT turns in a very respectable
performance. In fact, at 4XAA it's within a couple of frames per second
of the new Radeon X800 Pro. Check out the benchmark below.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_x800/page21.asp

Of course, UT2004 is not the only game. But it's the one I play most of
the time.

My Leadtek 5900xt has a different heatsink & fan which is made of
copper & cowvers the ram too. I have oced to 470/800 getting 5742 on
3Dmark03. I am using an AMD XP 1700@2.0GHz. Just replaced my MSI
Ti4200 64mb. It's been a great card to me but with the latest games, I
thought I will upgrade & I do not regret getting the FX5900xt.

Great move I got the same card. It is a great
card..........................................

"wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I decided not to wait for the new Nvidia and ATI video cards before
> upgrading by GF4 TI4200 64MB card. My budget for a new card was not in
> the $300-$500 range anyway.
>
> Even though my TI4200 64MB card was working great in the UT2004 demo, I
> decided to upgrade for the retail game. I had read that the textures in
> the retail game were twice as large. I wasn't sure that 64MB would cut
> it anymore. Plus, after about 2 years I was ready for an upgrade.
>
> The FX5900XT is the price/performance champ in the FX lineup. So, I
> bought a Leadtek FX5900XT from newegg.
>
> Looking at the firingsquad.com benchmarks for the new ATI and Nvidia
> video cards I'm pretty satisfied with my choice. At the resolution I run
> UT2004 at (1024x768x32) the FX5900XT turns in a very respectable
> performance. In fact, at 4XAA it's within a couple of frames per second
> of the new Radeon X800 Pro. Check out the benchmark below.
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_x800/page21.asp
>
> Of course, UT2004 is not the only game. But it's the one I play most of
> the time.

NaDa

wgd <wgd@nomail.com> wrote:
> I decided not to wait for the new Nvidia and ATI video cards before
> upgrading by GF4 TI4200 64MB card. My budget for a new card was not in
> the $300-$500 range anyway.
>
> Even though my TI4200 64MB card was working great in the UT2004 demo, I
> decided to upgrade for the retail game. I had read that the textures in
> the retail game were twice as large. I wasn't sure that 64MB would cut
> it anymore. Plus, after about 2 years I was ready for an upgrade.
>
> The FX5900XT is the price/performance champ in the FX lineup. So, I
> bought a Leadtek FX5900XT from newegg.

Excellent choice. Nice dust cover for the fan and it's almost as
silent as the ones by MSI. If the wind is right and the sun shines
from the right time, you might see your frame-rates doubled in new
games. 2x AA and a notch of anisotropic filtering won't have too much
penalty either when using the standard 1024 x 768 resolution. I saw a
huge increase in "Deus Ex2", "Far Cry" and a few others.

"wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I decided not to wait for the new Nvidia and ATI video cards before
> upgrading by GF4 TI4200 64MB card. My budget for a new card was not in
> the $300-$500 range anyway.

Until a couple of weeks ago I was sticking with my Ti4200 128MB card.
However, due to what appears to be a pricing mixup at Ebuyer in the UK, I
had to snap up a Leadtek FX5900XT (A350XT-TDH128) for just under £60 (around
US$105 at the exchange rate this morning). Very happy with the card :)

Dan

HI have you tried playing FAR CRY yet? I bought the same card yesterday
and I'm finding that there's "tearing" and textures missing whilst playing
with auto detected settings. All other high end games are fine....anyone
else?

PAUL

"Phil De Napoli" <pdenapo1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Great move I got the same card. It is a great
> card..........................................
>

> "wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > I decided not to wait for the new Nvidia and ATI video cards before
> > upgrading by GF4 TI4200 64MB card. My budget for a new card was not in
> > the $300-$500 range anyway.
> >
> > Even though my TI4200 64MB card was working great in the UT2004 demo, I
> > decided to upgrade for the retail game. I had read that the textures in
> > the retail game were twice as large. I wasn't sure that 64MB would cut
> > it anymore. Plus, after about 2 years I was ready for an upgrade.
> >
> > The FX5900XT is the price/performance champ in the FX lineup. So, I
> > bought a Leadtek FX5900XT from newegg.
> >
> > Looking at the firingsquad.com benchmarks for the new ATI and Nvidia
> > video cards I'm pretty satisfied with my choice. At the resolution I run
> > UT2004 at (1024x768x32) the FX5900XT turns in a very respectable
> > performance. In fact, at 4XAA it's within a couple of frames per second
> > of the new Radeon X800 Pro. Check out the benchmark below.
> >
> > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_x800/page21.asp
> >
> > Of course, UT2004 is not the only game. But it's the one I play most of
> > the time.

> HI have you tried playing FAR CRY yet? I bought the same card
> yesterday
> and I'm finding that there's "tearing" and textures missing whilst playing
> with auto detected settings. All other high end games are fine....anyone
> else?

What are your auto settings? Medium I assume? Also, what resolution are
you running? And what drivers and other hardware do you have? It all works
together. I'll tell ya', this game requires a little expertise. I'm having
a good time with it on medium settings at 1600x1280 with a TI4800, so I know
a 5900xt should be able to kick its ass at the highest settings with a
decent system around it.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Far Cry does have some problems with the entire FX900 range - as a look at
threads over at http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=frm&s=400102&f=452106891
will show. The glitches with the graphics, which includes objects being
replaced by yellow mesh boxes and psychadelic colours on textures indoors,
were made worse with the 1.1 patch.
However the fix appears to be simple - set the shadow quality to medium
instead of high - or if your rig can take it, set shadows to ultra-high. It
seems the high setting uses a mixture of PS1.1 and PS2 and the 5900's don't
like it one bit...

"Daniel Crichton" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
> "wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > I decided not to wait for the new Nvidia and ATI video cards before
> > upgrading by GF4 TI4200 64MB card. My budget for a new card was not in
> > the $300-$500 range anyway.
>
> Until a couple of weeks ago I was sticking with my Ti4200 128MB card.
> However, due to what appears to be a pricing mixup at Ebuyer in the UK, I
> had to snap up a Leadtek FX5900XT (A350XT-TDH128) for just under £60
(around
> US$105 at the exchange rate this morning). Very happy with the card :)
>
> Dan

This is a real nice price for this card :)

enjoy

Tal

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

Daniel Crichton wrote:
> "wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> I decided not to wait for the new Nvidia and ATI video cards before
>> upgrading by GF4 TI4200 64MB card. My budget for a new card was not
>> in the $300-$500 range anyway.
>
> Until a couple of weeks ago I was sticking with my Ti4200 128MB card.
> However, due to what appears to be a pricing mixup at Ebuyer in the
> UK, I had to snap up a Leadtek FX5900XT (A350XT-TDH128) for just
> under £60 (around US$105 at the exchange rate this morning). Very
> happy with the card :)

Hurrah - I too got the same eBuyer card, and I too am VERY happy with it :D

A friend of mine ordered one about an hour after me, and they cancelled his
order saying the price had inexplicably risen ! LOL !