Power supply have enough juice?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2004 4:29:15 AM

I have a Dell Dim. 8200 and apparently it has a 250 Watt power supply.

1. Will a video card that requires a 300+ Watt power supply work? What
will happen if I try?

2. Can the power supply be upgraded, if so by how much without cooking the
motherboard and other items in the CPU?

More about : power supply juice

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2004 7:02:09 AM

>1. Will a video card that requires a 300+ Watt power supply work? What
>will happen if I try?

You won't damage anything by trying it, but it probably just won't work right.

>2. Can the power supply be upgraded, if so by how much without cooking the
>motherboard and other items in the CPU?

If your using a Dell, you probably can't upgrade the power supply. Dell uses
non-standard power supplies.

http://63.240.93.134/articles/upgrade3_01_01.asp
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2004 10:56:19 AM

CCK wrote:

> I have a Dell Dim. 8200 and apparently it has a 250 Watt power supply.
>
> 1. Will a video card that requires a 300+ Watt power supply work? What
> will happen if I try?

If you're lucky everything will work find. Don't count on being lucky.
Results can be flaky operation, hangs, refusal to boot.

> 2. Can the power supply be upgraded, if so by how much without cooking
> the motherboard and other items in the CPU?

In a Dell probably not. As far as "cooking the motherboard and other items
in the CPU", that's not going to happen with any power supply unless the
power supply is broken. The motherboard etc pull power from the power
supply, the power supply does not push power to them. The only negative
results of using an oversized power supply are that it is likely to be
noisier and may be slighly less efficient as a result of operating at a
power level different from the one for which the design was optimized.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

If you use an underpowered power supply unit you can burn out your computer
components. You need to buy a larger, better power supply and install it.

--
DaveW

"CCK" <mr_mustang01gt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim. 8200 and apparently it has a 250 Watt power supply.
>
> 1. Will a video card that requires a 300+ Watt power supply work? What
> will happen if I try?
>
> 2. Can the power supply be upgraded, if so by how much without cooking
the
> motherboard and other items in the CPU?

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2004 2:34:10 AM

On Wed, 05 May 2004 22:34:09 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>If you use an underpowered power supply unit you can burn out your computer
>components. You need to buy a larger, better power supply and install it.

do you know where he might be able to buy a Dell compatable psu? (i
seen 'em before, but don't remember where...)
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2004 2:34:11 AM

"OverKlocker" <nunya@biznez.net> wrote

http://pcpowercooling.com/

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2004 5:00:14 AM

On Wed, 05 May 2004 00:29:15 GMT, "CCK" <mr_mustang01gt@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>I have a Dell Dim. 8200 and apparently it has a 250 Watt power supply.
>
>1. Will a video card that requires a 300+ Watt power supply work? What
>will happen if I try?
>
>2. Can the power supply be upgraded, if so by how much without cooking the
>motherboard and other items in the CPU?

Dell PSUs are non standard... you need a DELL PSU to fit a Dell
Mobo...

Hence.. buying a dell is like getting it in the ass.

== == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)

God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2004 5:00:15 AM

> Dell PSUs are non standard... you need a DELL PSU to fit a Dell
> Mobo...

Can get one here:
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home.htm

--