Posting Question

Hi,

I was trying to post a reply to a thread I have been following in the alt.html

newsgroup, but I got this message instead:

"Posting failed (rejected by Post filter)"

That's a new one on me. Anyone know what this means?

Thanks!
Scott
10 answers Last reply
More about posting question

    That's a question you'll have to ask the administrator of your nntp (usenet)
    server.

    "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was trying to post a reply to a thread I have been following in the
    alt.html

    > newsgroup, but I got this message instead:
    >
    > "Posting failed (rejected by Post filter)"
    >
    > That's a new one on me. Anyone know what this means?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    Ed,

    How do I go about contacting the server administrator? Is it through
    someone on the newsgroup, or my ISP (Charter)?

    Scott

    "Edward J. Neth" wrote:

    > That's a question you'll have to ask the administrator of your nntp (usenet)
    > server.
    >
    > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I was trying to post a reply to a thread I have been following in the
    > alt.html
    > >
    > > newsgroup, but I got this message instead:
    > >
    > > "Posting failed (rejected by Post filter)"
    > >
    > > That's a new one on me. Anyone know what this means?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Scott

    Scott,

    I've been on Charter for several years, and Charter recently changed newsgroup
    servers. The result has been a pain in the backside. Often, when posting, my
    message gets rejected. I try again, and it works. Same with reading the text
    or message headings.

    My advice is to call Charter tech support and complain. Also explain the
    problem you are having which may be unique. Ask them when they intend to fix
    the Charter news server.

    This sort of nonsense has been going on for several weeks... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:25:20 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I was trying to post a reply to a thread I have been following in the alt.html
    >
    >newsgroup, but I got this message instead:
    >
    > "Posting failed (rejected by Post filter)"
    >
    >That's a new one on me. Anyone know what this means?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Scott

    Ben,

    I hear you. Charter told me they switched to the nntp news server
    (thru a third-party company) to improve their newsgroup service. I
    never used to have problems, until now. After a few days, I couldn't
    download newgroups at all (it said "too many connections"). They said
    they were having issues, and finally fixed it. Four days later, all
    new messages after the previous Friday at 2:44 pm showed the message
    title, but when I clicked on it, it would always say the message had
    expired and was no longer on the server. It took them 3 days to fix
    that. They suspected that IP addresses from my area were somehow
    being excluded.

    Anyway, it's working now, except for the filter reject message on
    alt.html. All other newsgroups take my posts just fine. Go figure.

    Scott

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Scott,
    >
    > I've been on Charter for several years, and Charter recently changed newsgroup
    > servers. The result has been a pain in the backside. Often, when posting, my
    > message gets rejected. I try again, and it works. Same with reading the text
    > or message headings.
    >
    > My advice is to call Charter tech support and complain. Also explain the
    > problem you are having which may be unique. Ask them when they intend to fix
    > the Charter news server.
    >
    > This sort of nonsense has been going on for several weeks... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:25:20 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

    Ben,

    I checked with Charter, and they didn't seem to know why
    my message is being filtered (see message below). The
    only thing I could think of is that the person's post who
    I'm replying to used the word "evils".

    Might there be some way to post a question to the moderator
    of alt.html?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Message being filtered (and stopped):
    dan@tobias.name wrote:

    > (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > > Maybe I'm the only one, but forced with a choice between the evils of
    > top
    > > posting and quoting *everything*, I'll take top posting every time.
    >
    > These tend to go together; top-posters usually are also
    > fullquoters, including ever-lengthening tails of trailing garbage
    > beneath their writing.
    > Some more discussion:
    > http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/
    >
    > --
    > Dan

    Dan,

    Well, I can understand that. But, you know, whenever a group of people
    get together for a face-to-face conversation, everyone will not follow the
    same rules. Some people know how to listen, others don't, some people
    interrupt, etc. It's not a perfect world.

    In my experience, perfectionsists are very unhappy people, because they
    find they cannot control everything to the nth degree.

    Sometimes it's better to put up with people's idiosyncrosies....and even
    learn to appreciate their differences. Why should we all be clones of each
    other?

    Scott
    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Scott,
    >
    > I've been on Charter for several years, and Charter recently changed newsgroup
    > servers. The result has been a pain in the backside. Often, when posting, my
    > message gets rejected. I try again, and it works. Same with reading the text
    > or message headings.
    >
    > My advice is to call Charter tech support and complain. Also explain the
    > problem you are having which may be unique. Ask them when they intend to fix
    > the Charter news server.
    >
    > This sort of nonsense has been going on for several weeks... Ben Myers

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:20:27 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

    >I checked with Charter, and they didn't seem to know why
    >my message is being filtered (see message below). The
    >only thing I could think of is that the person's post who
    >I'm replying to used the word "evils".
    >
    >Might there be some way to post a question to the moderator
    >of alt.html?

    Usenet is unmoderated. There is no moderator of alt.html.

    Albert Alcoceba
    <><
    alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
    http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
    Remove REMOVE
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Right. So some other probably automated filtering mechanism is getting in the
    way. Charter is still the most likely possibility, and I'm sure that the
    Charter techs have not absorbed all the nuances and idiosyncracies of the
    Charter news server. Have you spoken with someone in Charter's second level
    tech support? If not, call again, and make a specific request to do so. Second
    level support people are much closer to the action... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:31:44 +1100, Albert Alcoceba <alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:20:27 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I checked with Charter, and they didn't seem to know why
    >>my message is being filtered (see message below). The
    >>only thing I could think of is that the person's post who
    >>I'm replying to used the word "evils".
    >>
    >>Might there be some way to post a question to the moderator
    >>of alt.html?
    >
    >Usenet is unmoderated. There is no moderator of alt.html.
    >

    >Albert Alcoceba
    > <><
    >alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
    >http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
    >Remove REMOVE
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Ben,

    Charter said they would refer the matter to their escalation team.
    I'll check back with them in a few days.

    Scott

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Right. So some other probably automated filtering mechanism is getting in the
    > way. Charter is still the most likely possibility, and I'm sure that the
    > Charter techs have not absorbed all the nuances and idiosyncracies of the
    > Charter news server. Have you spoken with someone in Charter's second level
    > tech support? If not, call again, and make a specific request to do so. Second
    > level support people are much closer to the action... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:31:44 +1100, Albert Alcoceba <alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:20:27 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I checked with Charter, and they didn't seem to know why
    > >>my message is being filtered (see message below). The
    > >>only thing I could think of is that the person's post who
    > >>I'm replying to used the word "evils".
    > >>
    > >>Might there be some way to post a question to the moderator
    > >>of alt.html?
    > >
    > >Usenet is unmoderated. There is no moderator of alt.html.
    > >

    > >Albert Alcoceba
    > > <><
    > >alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
    > >http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
    > >Remove REMOVE
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Ben,

    I think I've narrowed it down. The only time the I get the
    filtering error is when trying to reply to one specific thread
    (see below). When I post my same reply to any other poster in
    the thread, it goes thru. Go figure.

    Scott
    -----
    Re: Multiple Pop-up Windows