the BEST firewall

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
August 14, 2005 6:43:19 PM

what is the best firewall:
- agnitum outpost
- DeerField Visnetic Firewall
- Visnetic Firewall

regards.

More about : firewall

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 14, 2005 7:42:30 PM

IMHO I would go with Zonelabs Zonealarm Security Suite. It's basically become
checkpoint for your personal box...

-gg-

> what is the best firewall:
> - agnitum outpost
> - DeerField Visnetic Firewall
> - Visnetic Firewall
> regards.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 14, 2005 8:58:54 PM

In article <ddng3k$8ae$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>, 1634@Racine.pl says...
> what is the best firewall:
> - agnitum outpost
> - DeerField Visnetic Firewall
> - Visnetic Firewall
>
> regards.

They are two different things. VisNetic doesn't offer any outbound app
control, so if that's what you want, then it won't do. VisNetic is very
good however. I like it myself.

Outpost offers outbound app control but also comes with a lot of silly
nonsense and a fair share of bugs. I have used it also, but would not
recommend it based on the bugs and their record for not fixing them.

So if you are just putting it on a server and don't need user app
control type stuff, then VisNetic is very good. Also, if this is what
you are looking for, then an even better one in my opinion would be CHX-
I (which is free by the way).

--
Kerodo
a b 8 Security

1634Racine <1634@Racine.pl> wrote:
:what is the best firewall:
:- agnitum outpost
:- DeerField Visnetic Firewall
:- Visnetic Firewall

We'll need to know your set of metrics (measurement functions that assign
specific numeric values), and the weighting function used to
project from the measurement list into a final score. The decision
of which is the "best" is dependant on what you mean by "best".
--
Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann
Anonymous

Uzytkownik "Gray Ghost" <grayghost@binarybrewery.comm> napisal w
wiadomosci news:a1545e69211b08c76edc624254be@news.verizon.net...
> IMHO I would go with Zonelabs Zonealarm Security Suite. It's
basically become
> checkpoint for your personal box...

it's basic, but what's the best...
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 15, 2005 1:51:48 PM

Best in what way? What operating system? If you simply want to stop *all*
externally generating incoming traffic, then the inbuilt firewall in Windows
XP sp2 is free and works.

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz

"1634Racine" <1634@Racine.pl> wrote in message
news:D do136$lav$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl...

> Uzytkownik "Gray Ghost" <grayghost@binarybrewery.comm> napisal w
> wiadomosci news:a1545e69211b08c76edc624254be@news.verizon.net...
>> IMHO I would go with Zonelabs Zonealarm Security Suite. It's
> basically become
>> checkpoint for your personal box...
>
> it's basic, but what's the best...

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 15, 2005 6:07:36 PM

1634Racine wrote:
> what is the best firewall:
> - agnitum outpost
> - DeerField Visnetic Firewall
> - Visnetic Firewall
>
> regards.

None of the above. Cisco PIX.

--
---
I am a Sock Puppet - a spews parrot and a member of the spews lunatics

In article <ddng3k$8ae$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>, 1634@Racine.pl says...
> what is the best firewall:
> - agnitum outpost
> - DeerField Visnetic Firewall
> - Visnetic Firewall
>
> regards.

None of the above. In my opinion, I found Sygate to be the best.
It provides the expected computer security. I have never had a
single issue (problem) with it in 4-yrs. Some knowledge of
ports and protocols is required for proper setup.
Casey
Unofficial Help:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/i/k/ikpe/SygateBasics.html

Sygate Forums:
http://forums.sygate.com/vb/

Users Guide and Quick Start Guide:
http://smb.sygate.com/support/documents/pspf/default.ht...

Compare SPF Pro and SPF Free (See what's inside each one)
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/comparison_spf.htm

d/l
http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 16, 2005 3:36:34 AM

LOL

Yes, and how many classes to learn how to configure it correctly. Oh and
how much are you paying for your PIX?

-gg-

> 1634Racine wrote:
>
>> what is the best firewall:
>> - agnitum outpost
>> - DeerField Visnetic Firewall
>> - Visnetic Firewall
>> regards.
>>
> None of the above. Cisco PIX.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 17, 2005 7:35:49 AM

Kerodo news:MPG.1d697a9d7ab372d8989680@news.west.cox.net napisal [-a]
[.......]
> Outpost offers outbound app control but also comes with a lot of
> silly nonsense and a fair share of bugs.

could You tell something more precisely
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 17, 2005 7:35:50 AM

In article <ddu4b8$n20$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>, 1634@Racine.pl says...
> Kerodo news:MPG.1d697a9d7ab372d8989680@news.west.cox.net napisal [-a]
> [.......]
> > Outpost offers outbound app control but also comes with a lot of
> > silly nonsense and a fair share of bugs.
>
> could You tell something more precisely

I consider most of the plugins it comes with to be non-essential. And
silly. I can't name them now since I'm not using Outpost, but take a
look at them and see if you really need any of them. I didn't.

As far as bugs go, there has been a shutdown bug for ages. Outpost
crashes at Windows shutdown and leaves error messages in event viewer.
While not critical, it is amazing that they can't seem to fix it in
ages. It has suffered from shutdown problems since 2.1, either crashing
outright or failing to release registry handles at shutdown. Just
sloppy and poor programming.

When you report problems to them, they insist that you need to download
their debug plugin nonsense and debug it for them. I told them that's
not my job. It's their job to debug their software before releasing it
to paying users.

Also some of the rule logic seems flakey. For example, I had a program
listening on a UDP port and when random packets came in it popped up to
ask me for permission, so I blocked incoming packets only for that app
on that port. Subsequently, Outpost proceeded to block outbound packets
from that app on that port too, which is not what I wanted at all. Just
nonsense.

There are numerous other oddities and problems, some of which have been
fixed recently, but my experience with it leads me to believe that many
of the problems will never be resolved.

Many people swear by Outpost, but I find it to be a bug ridden sloppy
program. I would not recommend it.

--
Kerodo
Anonymous

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:26:19 -0700 Kerodo wrote:

> In article <ddu4b8$n20$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>, 1634@Racine.pl says...
>> Kerodo news:MPG.1d697a9d7ab372d8989680@news.west.cox.net napisal [-a]
>> [.......]
>>> Outpost offers outbound app control but also comes with a lot of
>>> silly nonsense and a fair share of bugs.
>>
>> could You tell something more precisely
>>

> I consider most of the plugins it comes with to be non-essential. And
> silly. I can't name them now since I'm not using Outpost, but take a
> look at them and see if you really need any of them. I didn't.

The ad filter might not be essential, but the active content filter is
definitely useful since ActiveX, Javascript and Java are a security
risk.(It's advisable to disable ActiveX in IE's internet zone, of course.
Even better: replace IE with Firefox.) Likewise the email attachment
filter.

> As far as bugs go, there has been a shutdown bug for ages. Outpost
> crashes at Windows shutdown and leaves error messages in event viewer.
> While not critical, it is amazing that they can't seem to fix it in
> ages. It has suffered from shutdown problems since 2.1, either crashing
> outright or failing to release registry handles at shutdown. Just
> sloppy and poor programming.

Funny, I've never had these problems in years. OP 2.7 is running on my
computer very smoothly.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 17, 2005 11:09:34 PM

In article <1nprjzj3ilq75$.dlg@ID-7108.user.uni-berlin.de>,
Thomas.Ludwig@gmx.de says...

> > As far as bugs go, there has been a shutdown bug for ages. Outpost
> > crashes at Windows shutdown and leaves error messages in event viewer.
> > While not critical, it is amazing that they can't seem to fix it in
> > ages. It has suffered from shutdown problems since 2.1, either crashing
> > outright or failing to release registry handles at shutdown. Just
> > sloppy and poor programming.
>
> Funny, I've never had these problems in years. OP 2.7 is running on my
> computer very smoothly.

I believe that. It is always amazing how something runs on one system
and doesn't on another. Never ceases to amaze me. So sure, it's
possible that it works fine on your system without problems. That's
great in fact. There are other users who get nothing but BSODs with
Outpost, a well known fact. Others experience other problems. All it
takes is a quick read thru the Outpost forum to see some of the odd
things going on.

I have had the shutdown problem here for many moons though, even on a
clean install of Win2k, and also other problems that bothered me enough
to stop using it.

But the bottom line is, if it works ok for you, then you should go ahead
and use it. I have other firewalls that I've used here that caused
unreconcilable problems on other people's machines too, including BSODs.
One was Kerio 2.1.5. I never had a single problem with it here, but a
friend can't run it. Why? I have no idea. :)

--
Kerodo
Anonymous

...take a look www.clavister.com
....not a market leader but absolutly tecnhology leader....
for a PIX you haveto pay too much.. yes.. yes...

"Gray Ghost" <grayghost@binarybrewery.comm> wrote in message
> LOL
>
> Yes, and how many classes to learn how to configure it correctly. Oh and
> how much are you paying for your PIX?
>
> -gg-
>
>> 1634Racine wrote:
>>
>>> what is the best firewall:
>>> - agnitum outpost
>>> - DeerField Visnetic Firewall
>>> - Visnetic Firewall
>>> regards.
>>>
>> None of the above. Cisco PIX.

August 25, 2005 12:38:04 AM

"Smax" <smax371@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ..take a look www.clavister.com
> ...not a market leader but absolutly tecnhology leader....
> for a PIX you haveto pay too much.. yes.. yes...
>
> "Gray Ghost" <grayghost@binarybrewery.comm> wrote in message
>> LOL
>>
>> Yes, and how many classes to learn how to configure it correctly. Oh and
>> how much are you paying for your PIX?
>>
>> -gg-

>>> None of the above. Cisco PIX.

Jesus you'd have to be pretty dumb to think Cisco PIX is a good firewall,
hell most people don't even consider them a firewall anymore - just an
overpriced linux appliance.

Those clavister boxes look nice, how do they compare to the sonicwalls?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 25, 2005 11:18:10 AM

Mark <nothere@notthere.com> wrote:
> Jesus you'd have to be pretty dumb to think Cisco PIX is a good firewall,
> hell most people don't even consider them a firewall anymore - just an
> overpriced linux appliance.

PIXes don't run Linux.

> Those clavister boxes look nice, how do they compare to the sonicwalls?

They're different.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 26, 2005 4:28:55 PM

For me Clavister is the best...
Excellent support.. with the last version you can also have load balancing
and failover for different gateway.. ALG for ftp passive and active.. l2tp
behind a NAT..VLAN... PPTP tunneling.. Radius authentication (also win
active directory)... trafic shaping...
You can use an Proxy-arp mechanism.. so you can deploy it in trasparent mode
behind your routers.. and use same IP network over 2 different NIC.. It
isn't based over any OS (like linux... etc..) they have developed a
proprietary OS so they reduce the possibility to attack by vulnerability of
OS...
Clavister has the highest trouhgput... you can also install two units in a
cluster.. one active and one passive.. if the active unit goes down... you
lost at least 2 or 3 packet.. switcing to the other unit come in 2
seconds... You can build a firewall appliance with 64 interface!!! :-)
I've installed about 60 appliance... and I solve ALL the request of our
clients...
bye
"Mark" <nothere@notthere.com> wrote in message
> "Smax" <smax371@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> ..take a look www.clavister.com
>> ...not a market leader but absolutly tecnhology leader....
>> for a PIX you haveto pay too much.. yes.. yes...
>>
>> "Gray Ghost" <grayghost@binarybrewery.comm> wrote in message
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> Yes, and how many classes to learn how to configure it correctly. Oh
>>> and how much are you paying for your PIX?
>>>
>>> -gg-

> Jesus you'd have to be pretty dumb to think Cisco PIX is a good firewall,
> hell most people don't even consider them a firewall anymore - just an
> overpriced linux appliance.
>
> Those clavister boxes look nice, how do they compare to the sonicwalls?

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 30, 2005 4:47:55 PM

Smax news:bWDPe.31833$HM1.900890@twister1.libero.it napisal [-a]
> For me Clavister is the best...

it's a best "soft firewall" [ -> for download from
https://clientweb.clavister.com ] for home
or "hardware firewall" .... ??? :)
!