Not sure what to do

I'm currently using a TI4800 with an XP 2500+ and a gig of pc3200 memory.
There's no doubt that the video card is my biggest bottleneck. My question
is, what should I do? Should I upgrade now or wait for the next wave of
cards? I'd hate to make a purchase and then see the card I bought drop by
100 bucks within a week or so! Advise me, oh glorious newsgroup!

morgan

Having got a simliar spec to yours (had a Ti4200 clocked at 300/600) I then
bought a 9800pro. If it wasn't for my Son having the Ti4200 from me to
upgrade his Ti200 the upgrade to the 9800pro would have been a waste of
money, in my opinion.

I got that card due to its great price / performance and due to my Son
wanting an upgrade. NVidia have nothing in that price / performance that
came close to the 9800pro. I did think that the card would not get much
cheaper but just fade away from the shops. I paid 135 UK Pounds in total.

All that it has meant to me is that now Farcry runs a little smoother and
games like Gothic 2 and Spellforce run with 4xAA and 8xAF.

So when you write....

> There's no doubt that the video card is my biggest bottleneck.

What do you base that on...?

> I'd hate to make a purchase and then see the card I bought drop
> by 100 bucks within a week or so!

Then never buy the bleeding edge stuff and let your upgrades be guided by
your needs and not too overly influenced by the blurb that you read :)

If you really "insist" on needing to buy a card now then the 9800pro has to
be considered. But I hope that you are going to make use of that Ti4800 as
it is still an excellent card.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive is noisy no more...

www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

"Mr. Brian Allen" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently using a TI4800 with an XP 2500+ and a gig of pc3200 memory.
> There's no doubt that the video card is my biggest bottleneck. My
question
> is, what should I do? Should I upgrade now or wait for the next wave of
> cards? I'd hate to make a purchase and then see the card I bought drop by
> 100 bucks within a week or so! Advise me, oh glorious newsgroup!

I'm not sure why you think you should upgrade your video card.
have a look at:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-05.html

Your card is not in the list but it sure better then the TI4600, which is at
the top list.

I think you should think again before buying a new card for about 200$

Tal

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Morgan wrote:

> Having got a simliar spec to yours (had a Ti4200 clocked at 300/600) I then
> bought a 9800pro. If it wasn't for my Son having the Ti4200 from me to
> upgrade his Ti200 the upgrade to the 9800pro would have been a waste of
> money, in my opinion.
>
> I got that card due to its great price / performance and due to my Son
> wanting an upgrade. NVidia have nothing in that price / performance that
> came close to the 9800pro. I did think that the card would not get much
> cheaper but just fade away from the shops. I paid 135 UK Pounds in total.
>
> All that it has meant to me is that now Farcry runs a little smoother and
> games like Gothic 2 and Spellforce run with 4xAA and 8xAF.

Thanks Morgan, as I also have a Ti4200 300/600 and hang on to it awhile longer

morgan

> Thanks Morgan, as I also have a Ti4200 300/600 and hang on to it awhile
longer

You have made the right choice, I'm sure.
Not that the 9800pro isn't a good card but the Ti4x00 isn't a bad one
either.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard Drive noise a problem....?

www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003

I would also keep the one you have... no change for now.