nvidia and linux error

when i try to install the nvidia drivers for linux i get an error that says
UNABLE TO DETERMINE NVIDIA KERNAL MODULE FILENAME.
does anyone use suse linux 9.0 who has had this problem and successfully
solved it.
any help would be great as i am a newbie to linux.
khalid357
--
new

In article <FIimc.17396$L8.13525@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>,
ekay.one@verizon.net says...
> when i try to install the nvidia drivers for linux i get an error that says
> UNABLE TO DETERMINE NVIDIA KERNAL MODULE FILENAME.
> does anyone use suse linux 9.0 who has had this problem and successfully
> solved it.
> any help would be great as i am a newbie to linux.
> khalid357

The most likely cause is that you don't have the kernel headers
installed. The installer often has to recompile the drivers against the
kernel, and for that it needs the kernel header files. Check your
documentation on how to install them - it's a fairly common requirement.
--
Rohan Parkes
Melbourne

Slug

khalid357 wrote:
> when i try to install the nvidia drivers for linux i get an error that says
> UNABLE TO DETERMINE NVIDIA KERNAL MODULE FILENAME.
> does anyone use suse linux 9.0 who has had this problem and successfully
> solved it.
> any help would be great as i am a newbie to linux.
> khalid357

Get the live Knoppix cd and then install it to your HDD. Knoppix is
based on Debian and it will configure the Nvidia card for you. It's
really the best Linux distro for newbies. Mandrake is good too but
Knoppix is even easier to configure. It's designed so that you can run
Linux off of a cdrom so it has to have very good hardware detection, but
you can install it to your HDD instead too. I'm running it right now and
posting this from Knoppix. I had to do nothing to get my Geforce4
working. Let me know if you burn a Knoppix cd and I will tell you how to
install it to your HDD.

"khalid357" <ekay.one@verizon.net> wrote in message
> when i try to install the nvidia drivers for linux i get an error that
says
> UNABLE TO DETERMINE NVIDIA KERNAL MODULE FILENAME.
> does anyone use suse linux 9.0 who has had this problem and successfully
> solved it.
> any help would be great as i am a newbie to linux.
> khalid357
> --
> new

Go into YAST2 and re-select the Nvidia drivers and it will download, install
and all you need to do then is just to configure your monitor. I am fairly
new to SUSE too, but really like the YAST module for auto-updating and
installing.

Ed

---

TRENDING THREADS