nvidia and linux error

when i try to install the nvidia drivers for linux i get an error that says
UNABLE TO DETERMINE NVIDIA KERNAL MODULE FILENAME.
does anyone use suse linux 9.0 who has had this problem and successfully
solved it.
any help would be great as i am a newbie to linux.
khalid357
--
new
3 answers Last reply

    In article <FIimc.17396$L8.13525@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>,
    ekay.one@verizon.net says...
    > when i try to install the nvidia drivers for linux i get an error that says
    > UNABLE TO DETERMINE NVIDIA KERNAL MODULE FILENAME.
    > does anyone use suse linux 9.0 who has had this problem and successfully
    > solved it.
    > any help would be great as i am a newbie to linux.
    > khalid357

    The most likely cause is that you don't have the kernel headers
    installed. The installer often has to recompile the drivers against the
    kernel, and for that it needs the kernel header files. Check your
    documentation on how to install them - it's a fairly common requirement.
    --
    Rohan Parkes
    Melbourne

    khalid357 wrote:
    > when i try to install the nvidia drivers for linux i get an error that says
    > UNABLE TO DETERMINE NVIDIA KERNAL MODULE FILENAME.
    > does anyone use suse linux 9.0 who has had this problem and successfully
    > solved it.
    > any help would be great as i am a newbie to linux.
    > khalid357

    Get the live Knoppix cd and then install it to your HDD. Knoppix is
    based on Debian and it will configure the Nvidia card for you. It's
    really the best Linux distro for newbies. Mandrake is good too but
    Knoppix is even easier to configure. It's designed so that you can run
    Linux off of a cdrom so it has to have very good hardware detection, but
    you can install it to your HDD instead too. I'm running it right now and
    posting this from Knoppix. I had to do nothing to get my Geforce4
    working. Let me know if you burn a Knoppix cd and I will tell you how to
    install it to your HDD.

    "khalid357" <ekay.one@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > when i try to install the nvidia drivers for linux i get an error that
    says
    > UNABLE TO DETERMINE NVIDIA KERNAL MODULE FILENAME.
    > does anyone use suse linux 9.0 who has had this problem and successfully
    > solved it.
    > any help would be great as i am a newbie to linux.
    > khalid357
    > --
    > new

    Go into YAST2 and re-select the Nvidia drivers and it will download, install
    and all you need to do then is just to configure your monitor. I am fairly
    new to SUSE too, but really like the YAST module for auto-updating and
    installing.

    Ed

    ---

Nvidia Linux Graphics