Radeon HD 6990M is ''World's Fastest'' Mobile GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Interesting that they use a relative performance as a measurement. For example, maybe the 580m got 30fps one benchmark and the 6990 got 33. 3fps difference doesn't sound impressive, BUT OMG 10% BETTER certainly does.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
The price for these cards as an upgrade in the Aliewnare M18x is only $500 over stock compared to $1200 over stock for the GTX 580m's.....how much is PhysX worth again?

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]so what..got phys-X.?I'll take the GTX580M and be happy...[/citation]

LMAO do you realize that Nvidia is charging double the cost of the 6990m??
If even the 6990m was 5% slower I would still buy it over the overpriced crap 580m.

openi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I'm seriously impressed - but not for gaming on a notebook...
What impresses me is that a small device like this has to have a reasonable thermal envelope in order to function well.
How this translates to the PC in the near future means that a small form-factor should be very achievable with lower cost PSUs, greater reliability and nicer aesthetics.
For the spotty gamer's out there I'll translate: What atom+ion was to the HTPC, Sandy bridge + 6990m could easily be for the console form factor PC.
Give me negative comments please - my last record was about -20 ;)

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]elbert[/nom]From the specs I would guess this is an ATI 6850. Not a bad GPU for a laptop.[/citation]
Actually it is a 6870, the 6970m was a downclocked 6850
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]they dont say , you need to play in your freezer with ear plug and a 1000w gas generator for mobile purpose[/citation]
Quite the ignorant statement! My M18x with the 2920xm and dual 6970m's draws right at 300W under maximum possible system load. The noise was quite acceptable for a laptop and the laptop was not excessively hot to the touch (although the exhaust air was rather hot....but that is the point)

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
The most powerful notebook GPU is an under clocked 4th tier (580>6970>6950>6870) desktop unit. I am gonna stick to my desktop for gaming I think.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]The most powerful notebook GPU is an under clocked 4th tier (580>6970>6950>6870) desktop unit. I am gonna stick to my desktop for gaming I think.[/citation]
I would call it 2nd tier. 4th best GPU though - which aint bad for a laptop. I think you need to address how you classify GPU "tiers"
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Alienware is a total waste of money.[/citation]
Opinion. I think what you really meant is "gaming laptops are a total waste of money" (which is still your opinion mind you) because Alienware is actually as good if not better value compared to Clevo based solutions. I did not include Asus because their quality and support are a level below Alienware and Clevo.

Taylor422

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
No, I think he meant what he said. You can get a laptop with high specs from somewhere other than Alienware, and pay a lot less, because it doesn't have the name "Alienware" on it and some shiny LEDs.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Taylor422[/nom]No, I think he meant what he said. You can get a laptop with high specs from somewhere other than Alienware, and pay a lot less, because it doesn't have the name "Alienware" on it and some shiny LEDs.[/citation]
I welcome you providing an example. Because I have been scrutinizing the high end laptop market for 2 years and strongly disagree with what you just said. Please do explain

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
let's hope to see some reasonable prices and a long enough warranty, with that kind of hardware I don't want to pay a lot of money for an expensive laptop and just one year of warranty.. that kind of 1 year warranty are just ridiculous.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
In all honesty i had thought the idea of an APU would of been something of this design with a Central processor attached. Cause for the card size even, you are getting a gpu and cpu for one card size. So you could process quicker within the processing chain, within two additional discrete cards, right? But for mobile graphics discretely to say, are probably very resourceful designs or uses for what they make and offer. Laptops to say have some requires additional to say a tower or PC.

As for Phyx to say is hard place though, given that anymore is more of just having another GPU then anything. Rather even on the mobile for ATI with Radeons, hard saying. There isnt much interest probably for them, when with another GPU or better can process more frame rates at higher details.

As say for the War continues is as speculative as saying probably there isnt a difference between a desktop card and laptop card, right? Or a Phyx card and GPU card. Rather ATI calls thiers Phyx i dont know.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It's been a really long time since AMD has released a performance leading mobile graphics solution for a GPU generation. In fact I can't recall the last time that happened. Credit AMD for taking a shot at the performance lead, it should put some pressure on Nvidia to lower the price of the GTX580m.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Funny thing is that the desktop 560ti is faster than a 6870. But its sucks down a good deal more energy (nearly 30W more at load), which in turn allows AMD to under lock their GPU less and actually earn a performance win here. I guess being energy efficient paid of in this case for AMD :)

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Ugh...why can't we have desktop GPUs externally? Fastest mobile GPU doesn't say much as it's still crap vs desktop GPUs.

Sony started now with external GPUs but they're putting a crappy mobile GPU in it =/

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
There are a few significant issues with this GPU in particular (and a good portion of AMD's high-end mobile graphics solutions) that would keep me from considering them as a viable option for a desktop replacement, but it certainly isn't raw performance.

OpenGL and switchable graphics. For some reason AMD restricts OpenGL acceleration to Intel IGP and other integrated solutions, and there's no way to manually switch or force dGPU acceleration. I have no idea why they would do this, but apparently AMD believes IGP's are sufficient for OpenGL, which couldn't be further from reality. Adobe software, especially After Effects, run absolutely terribly, as do CAD programs.

This is a huge area where Nvidia Optimus has a significant advantage. AMD just doesn't have a compelling switchable graphics solution (or any at all in many cases) for their high-end mobile GPU's, where the benefits are most dramatic and where this technology is needed most.

Status
Not open for further replies.