Motherboard CPU upgrades

castle

Hello,

I have a P3 800, Asus cuv4x motherboard, 512mb ram - and an Asus
Geforce4Ti4800 V9480 model. I prefer an intel setup so I'm looking to
get a good P4 processor, an appopriate motherboard and ram.

I thought something like a P4 3.0, ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard and
1 G of DDR RAM should do the trick. I did think of getting the P4 3.2
but friends say there is no real diff between them.

What sort of motherboard and RAM should I be looking out for?

Cheers.

Castle

I have that exact CPU (3G) and mobo but with 512 RAM. My cpu is clocked at
3.6G (20% oc) 24/7 ... dual boot win98se and xp ... the current cpu temp is
32C. I install all games, and installed xp, at the 3.6G ... no problems. So
your friend is correct ... there is no advantage to buying a 3.2, or 3.4, or
3.6 :).

"Castle" <crimson_castle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a P3 800, Asus cuv4x motherboard, 512mb ram - and an Asus
> Geforce4Ti4800 V9480 model. I prefer an intel setup so I'm looking to
> get a good P4 processor, an appopriate motherboard and ram.
>
> I thought something like a P4 3.0, ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard and
> 1 G of DDR RAM should do the trick. I did think of getting the P4 3.2
> but friends say there is no real diff between them.
>
> What sort of motherboard and RAM should I be looking out for?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Castle

"Castle" <crimson_castle@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cdf4022f.0405080659.9dd2146@posting.google.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a P3 800, Asus cuv4x motherboard, 512mb ram - and an Asus
> Geforce4Ti4800 V9480 model. I prefer an intel setup so I'm looking to
> get a good P4 processor, an appopriate motherboard and ram.
>
> I thought something like a P4 3.0, ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard and
> 1 G of DDR RAM should do the trick. I did think of getting the P4 3.2
> but friends say there is no real diff between them.
>
> What sort of motherboard and RAM should I be looking out for?

My system is fairly close to those specs. I have an ASUS P4C800E-D (close enough to a P4P800), a 3GHz P4, and
1GB of Kingston HyperX PC3500 RAM. It's all very stable and fast. It overclocks well although faster memory
and better CPU cooling is needed to go beyond ~3.4GHz. But given that this newsgroup is about video cards, are
you thinking upgrading the Ti4800, too?

Tony.

castle

"The Black Wibble" <anthony.neville@paradise.org.nz> wrote in message news:<hQcnc.755$FN.87167@news02.tsnz.net>...
> My system is fairly close to those specs. I have an ASUS P4C800E-D (close enough to a P4P800), a 3GHz P4, and
> 1GB of Kingston HyperX PC3500 RAM. It's all very stable and fast. It overclocks well although faster memory
> and better CPU cooling is needed to go beyond ~3.4GHz. But given that this newsgroup is about video cards, are
> you thinking upgrading the Ti4800, too?

True, getting a new video card would be good. But I just bought it
last year. I was thinking of buying a whole new system next year and
having this old one as a backup or for something my friends can use
when they come over.

Umm... I just came back from the swap meet and bought the P4 3.0G. I
also got the ASUS P4P800S and 1G of DDR RAM (Samsung). I was going to
get the Dual-channel RAM but the shop dude said I wouldn't notice the
difference. Frankly I havn't kept in touch with the developments and
didn't realize there was such a thing as dual memory channel RAM.
Feeling a bit regretful now.... :(

"Castle" <crimson_castle@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cdf4022f.0405082327.6cf56da0@posting.google.com...
> "The Black Wibble" <anthony.neville@paradise.org.nz> wrote in message
> > My system is fairly close to those specs. I have an ASUS P4C800E-D (close enough to a P4P800), a 3GHz P4,
and
> > 1GB of Kingston HyperX PC3500 RAM. It's all very stable and fast. It overclocks well although faster
memory
> > and better CPU cooling is needed to go beyond ~3.4GHz. But given that this newsgroup is about video cards,
are
> > you thinking upgrading the Ti4800, too?
>
> True, getting a new video card would be good. But I just bought it
> last year. I was thinking of buying a whole new system next year and
> having this old one as a backup or for something my friends can use
> when they come over.
>
> Umm... I just came back from the swap meet and bought the P4 3.0G. I
> also got the ASUS P4P800S and 1G of DDR RAM (Samsung). I was going to
> get the Dual-channel RAM but the shop dude said I wouldn't notice the
> difference. Frankly I havn't kept in touch with the developments and
> didn't realize there was such a thing as dual memory channel RAM.
> Feeling a bit regretful now.... :(

No reason to be. If the 1GB of RAM is made up of two 512MB modules (or four 256MB modules) with *matching
timings*, they will work happy together in dual channel mode. On the motherboard there are DDR DIMM slots for
channel A and channel B, and placing the modules into both means the RAM will be working in dual channel mode.

Tony.