No Support

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Wondering if someone can answer a simple question for me?

I just purchased a new 7200XL system with all the bells and whistles and
found that the FPD1940 monitor did not have a DVI cable when it arrived.

I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.

Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
but had no idea what a DVI cable is.

I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke with
were not computer savvy.

One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no cables
at all.

Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.

Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
bought a cables from Best Buy.
10 answers Last reply
More about support
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    > Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
    > but had no idea what a DVI cable is.

    I'm sure that's right!

    > I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke
    > with were not computer savvy.

    I'm sure that's right also! (probably spoke with an accent too, huh?)

    > One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
    > about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no
    > cables at all.

    Heh-heh... no comment required!

    > Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
    > purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
    > X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.

    Possibly... but every system and/or monitor that I've purchased from Gateway
    in the past 3 years has arrived with both VGA & DVI cables included.

    > Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
    > bought a cables from Best Buy.

    So... if Gateway is, indeed, saving money by sending analog cables only with
    new system purchases, didn't you enabled them to continue that practice when
    you caved-in and bought one?
    What's the issue?
    --
    Rocket
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Rocket, you are so right.... I did cave.

    But after being on the phone sooooo long I decided that their was no
    intelligent life on the other end.

    Maybe that's their plan, wear you out by giving you the run around for hours
    on end until you finally concede defeat.

    I even spoke to people in a department called "Complaint Resoltion" who
    could not help and routed me somewhere else.

    This was my sixth Gateway system and the first of the last two to not
    include a DVI cable.

    You were also right when you say they all had accents.

    The accents make communications very difficult because you have to ask them
    to repeat themselves constantly.

    - Robert

    "Rocket" <rocket@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    news:AJGdndu-jI4g_lncRVn-rg@comcast.com...
    >> Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
    >> but had no idea what a DVI cable is.
    >
    > I'm sure that's right!
    >
    >> I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke
    >> with were not computer savvy.
    >
    > I'm sure that's right also! (probably spoke with an accent too, huh?)
    >
    >> One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
    >> about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no
    >> cables at all.
    >
    > Heh-heh... no comment required!
    >
    >> Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
    >> purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
    >> X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.
    >
    > Possibly... but every system and/or monitor that I've purchased from
    > Gateway in the past 3 years has arrived with both VGA & DVI cables
    > included.
    >
    >> Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
    >> bought a cables from Best Buy.
    >
    > So... if Gateway is, indeed, saving money by sending analog cables only
    > with new system purchases, didn't you enabled them to continue that
    > practice when you caved-in and bought one?
    > What's the issue?
    > --
    > Rocket
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I bought a 710XL system a few months ago with the same monitor, and no
    DV cable came either, I am pretty sure they dont include it. I bought
    one, and really, I cannot see any difference.

    Bob


    "Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >Wondering if someone can answer a simple question for me?
    >
    >I just purchased a new 7200XL system with all the bells and whistles and
    >found that the FPD1940 monitor did not have a DVI cable when it arrived.
    >
    >I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
    >people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.
    >
    >Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
    >but had no idea what a DVI cable is.
    >
    >I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke with
    >were not computer savvy.
    >
    >One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
    >about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no cables
    >at all.
    >
    >Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
    >purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
    >X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.
    >
    >Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
    >bought a cables from Best Buy.
    >
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Robert wrote:
    >
    > Wondering if someone can answer a simple question for me?
    >
    > I just purchased a new 7200XL system with all the bells and whistles and
    > found that the FPD1940 monitor did not have a DVI cable when it arrived.
    >
    > I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
    > people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.
    >
    > Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
    > but had no idea what a DVI cable is.
    >
    > I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke with
    > were not computer savvy.
    >
    > One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
    > about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no cables
    > at all.
    >
    > Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
    > purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
    > X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.
    >
    > Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
    > bought a cables from Best Buy.

    Robert,

    My 700X with the FPD1810 (18" LCD) monitor was purchased 3 years ago, and
    it came with both an analog and DVI cable. I've only used the DVI cable.

    Scott
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    When I got my first 710XL, both cables were included. Support is a
    mis-nomer with the new Gateway.

    Here is what happened with my second 710XL. Was supposed to have WinXP Home
    Edition. It was loaded okay, but the restore disk was for Professional. So
    I contacted "support" and here is how it went:

    Person 1 & 2: had no idea what an operating system restore disk or
    operating system was.
    Person 3: your unit is to old and Gateway updates their operating system
    disks all the time and there isn't one available for your machine....you
    need to buy a new operating system.
    Person 4: go to this link, blah, blah, blah and download the drivers you
    need. That makes an operating system?!?!?!?! There is not an operating
    system any longer for that old of a unit.
    Person 5: someone must have taken it out of the box and replaced it with
    the Professional version.
    Person 6 at Corporate Headquarters: They found a copy avialable. Mailed it
    overnight to me. No Certificate of Authenticity to stick on the side of the
    unit showing it was legal.

    I give up!!!!!


    "Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    news:Bb2dnUwg1tiZM17cRVn-tg@adelphia.com...
    > Wondering if someone can answer a simple question for me?
    >
    > I just purchased a new 7200XL system with all the bells and whistles and
    > found that the FPD1940 monitor did not have a DVI cable when it arrived.
    >
    > I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
    > people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.
    >
    > Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
    > but had no idea what a DVI cable is.
    >
    > I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke
    > with were not computer savvy.
    >
    > One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
    > about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no
    > cables at all.
    >
    > Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
    > purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
    > X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.
    >
    > Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
    > bought a cables from Best Buy.
    >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    When I got my first 710XL, both cables were included. Support is a
    mis-nomer with the new Gateway.

    Here is what happened with my second 710XL. Was supposed to have WinXP Home
    Edition. It was loaded okay, but the restore disk was for Professional. So
    I contacted "support" and here is how it went:

    Person 1 & 2: had no idea what an operating system restore disk or
    operating system was.
    Person 3: your unit is to old and Gateway updates their operating system
    disks all the time and there isn't one available for your machine....you
    need to buy a new operating system.
    Person 4: go to this link, blah, blah, blah and download the drivers you
    need. That makes an operating system?!?!?!?! There is not an operating
    system any longer for that old of a unit.
    Person 5: someone must have taken it out of the box and replaced it with
    the Professional version.
    Person 6 at Corporate Headquarters: They found a copy avialable. Mailed it
    overnight to me. No Certificate of Authenticity to stick on the side of the
    unit showing it was legal.

    I give up!!!!!


    "Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    news:Bb2dnUwg1tiZM17cRVn-tg@adelphia.com...
    > Wondering if someone can answer a simple question for me?
    >
    > I just purchased a new 7200XL system with all the bells and whistles and
    > found that the FPD1940 monitor did not have a DVI cable when it arrived.
    >
    > I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
    > people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.
    >
    > Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
    > but had no idea what a DVI cable is.
    >
    > I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke
    > with were not computer savvy.
    >
    > One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
    > about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no
    > cables at all.
    >
    > Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
    > purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
    > X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.
    >
    > Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
    > bought a cables from Best Buy.
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:11:46 -0800, "Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
    >people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.

    That's because you don't speak their outsourced language. For a
    nominal fee, gateway offers a crash course in the Indian Dialect so
    you can converse with their outsourced, bargain basement, third world
    tech support.

    >One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
    >about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no cables
    >at all.

    Yep, just open the case up and look inside and there its is, your
    monitor stuck right there on the MB. You got to get up real early in
    the morning to get one past New Delhi/Gateway support.

    SK
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    SK wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:11:46 -0800, "Robert"
    <rldearmond@adelphia.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9)
    different
    > >people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.
    >
    > That's because you don't speak their outsourced language. For a
    > nominal fee, gateway offers a crash course in the Indian Dialect so
    > you can converse with their outsourced, bargain basement, third world
    > tech support.
    >
    > >One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was
    talking
    > >about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no
    cables
    > >at all.
    >
    > Yep, just open the case up and look inside and there its is, your
    > monitor stuck right there on the MB. You got to get up real early in
    > the morning to get one past New Delhi/Gateway support.
    >
    > SK
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    SK wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:11:46 -0800, "Robert"
    <rldearmond@adelphia.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9)
    different
    > >people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.
    >
    > That's because you don't speak their outsourced language. For a
    > nominal fee, gateway offers a crash course in the Indian Dialect so
    > you can converse with their outsourced, bargain basement, third world
    > tech support.
    >
    > >One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was
    talking
    > >about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no
    cables
    > >at all.
    >
    > Yep, just open the case up and look inside and there its is, your
    > monitor stuck right there on the MB. You got to get up real early in
    > the morning to get one past New Delhi/Gateway support.
    >
    > SK

    Early in 2004, just before pulling the plug on the Country Stores,
    Gateway decided to not include the DVI cable. Those purchasing systems
    before that time did indeed receive both cables. Todays systems do not
    include the cable. Most people do not receive a significant
    improvement by using the digital output. Also, sadly, not all systems
    have the dual output to support the monitor. All the more reason to
    check this forum often. Support is more intelligent here.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    KsmithIA@msn.com wrote:(snip)

    [Are you from Iowa or do you hold an Inspection Authorization?? ;-)]


    There is still a two tier support with gateway for Business and
    Consumer support. Business Support can be reached at 877-485-1464 and
    is available to businesses only. You are a business if you say you are
    a business. If they ask what kind, in default of any other answer, tell
    them you are an AmwayQuixtarAlticor (pick one) distributor. You are,
    maybe you just haven't sent in your BSMAA yet...

    This will get you someone in Ft.Lauderdale, who has not been with the
    company very long and is almost always a non-native speaker of English,
    nevertheless they are in the United States.

    If you fail to take this step you have no one but yourself to blame
    for the results, or lack thereof, in resolving your problem. Your
    chances go from none to slim at this point.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gateway Support Cable Computers