Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Sim tower and Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
November 18, 2010 6:32:31 AM

I've been trying for over an hour now to get Sim Tower (I know, old game. No need to tell me) to work. It worked fine up to Vista. I've tried to run it in compatibility mode but with no luck. I've also tried Virtual PC 2007 but nothing. I have even tried copying and pasting to my comp and then installing but nothing (that one was a long shot I know). I am currently installing VMware-the free download-to see if that will work.
Is there anything else I can try to get this game to work? I have Windows 7 Home premium 64bit.
-that's what I keep getting

More about : sim tower windows

November 18, 2010 6:54:02 AM

Megan140 said:
I've been trying for over an hour now to get Sim Tower (I know, old game. No need to tell me) to work. It worked fine up to Vista. I've tried to run it in compatibility mode but with no luck. I've also tried Virtual PC 2007 but nothing. I have even tried copying and pasting to my comp and then installing but nothing (that one was a long shot I know). I am currently installing VMware-the free download-to see if that will work.
Is there anything else I can try to get this game to work? I have Windows 7 Home premium 64bit.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g284/ViraIshnia/ugh.png-that's what I keep getting



This is what I get with VMware:
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2010 8:55:50 AM

I'm guessing it uses a 16bit installer, which will not execute in a 64bit OS. Which OS do you have installed on the virtual machine?
Score
0
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2010 2:00:10 PM

Herr_Koos said:
I'm guessing it uses a 16bit installer, which will not execute in a 64bit OS. Which OS do you have installed on the virtual machine?

It shows he has Sevrer 03 x64 virtualized (but not booting, its trying to boot over LAN) which is also a 64bit OS and wont run sim tower.. You need a 32bit OS.
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2010 10:21:54 PM

^+1
Score
0
November 19, 2010 12:51:38 AM

Snipergod87 said:
It shows he has Sevrer 03 x64 virtualized (but not booting, its trying to boot over LAN) which is also a 64bit OS and wont run sim tower.. You need a 32bit OS.

So how do I get it to run on a 64bit?
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2010 1:45:18 AM

i think this Sim Tower can work in win7 with CD no copy in HDD /virtual
Score
0
November 19, 2010 3:02:47 AM

henydiah said:
i think this Sim Tower can work in win7 with CD no copy in HDD /virtual

How?
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2010 3:39:08 AM

sim tower bundle CD
Score
0
November 19, 2010 4:26:38 AM

henydiah said:
sim tower bundle CD

What CDs are in the that? Mine came in a bundle.
Sim City
Sim Copter
Sim Isle
Sim safari
Sim Tower
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2010 4:29:12 AM

play load game use CD
Score
0
November 19, 2010 4:48:10 AM

henydiah said:
play load game use CD

What? I can't even get the computer to read the CD it shows that first error message
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2010 5:33:22 AM

henydiah said:
play load game use CD


You didn't read his first post, did you?
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2010 6:17:48 AM

sorry
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2010 6:20:48 AM

Cool, we all miss things sometimes.

Besides using a Virtual PC, I can't really think of anything else. Will SimTower run under DOS?
Score
0
November 19, 2010 6:49:05 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Cool, we all miss things sometimes.

Besides using a Virtual PC, I can't really think of anything else. Will SimTower run under DOS?

I tried using dosbox but I couldn't figure it out. I know nothing about dos so even getting it to find the CD was impossible
Score
0

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2010 6:54:13 AM

DOSBox comes with help instructions included. You can figure it out with a bit of patience and reading. What you need is two lines of code that mount the CD-ROM and your games directory. Type "intro" after launching DOSBox to get detailed instructions on how to do it.
Share
November 19, 2010 9:25:53 AM

Herr_Koos said:
DOSBox comes with help instructions included. You can figure it out with a bit of patience and reading. What you need is two lines of code that mount the CD-ROM and your games directory. Type "intro" after launching DOSBox to get detailed instructions on how to do it.

So I've managed to mount the game but now when I try to install it I get illegal command:win
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2010 12:21:57 AM

when your game work fine in vista !
maybe can built 2 system Vista & Win7 ?
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2010 10:47:57 AM

what are your system specs anyways.?
if had win7 professional or ultimate then it could be tried under xp-mode.
win7 home doesn't have that option.
it might be worth it anyways to windows anytime upgrade to win7 pro or ultimate since you have valid install, look into it.
with enough RAM (4GB) I think is the requirement try xp-mode.
Score
0
November 20, 2010 11:46:39 PM

verbalizer said:
what are your system specs anyways.?
if had win7 professional or ultimate then it could be tried under xp-mode.
win7 home doesn't have that option.
it might be worth it anyways to windows anytime upgrade to win7 pro or ultimate since you have valid install, look into it.
with enough RAM (4GB) I think is the requirement try xp-mode.

Unfortunately, this isn't my computer (mine is a vista that doesn't work so good anymore). It's my moms. It's an HP Pavillion dv7. 64 bit OS with 4GB ram. It has Windows 7 Home Premium
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2010 12:16:36 AM

anytime upgrade from home to pro or ultimate..
Score
0
November 21, 2010 1:44:18 AM

Upgrading does sound like a good idea but I kinda wanted to play this game without having to buy software
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2010 5:08:11 PM

lol..
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 22, 2010 6:21:31 AM

Megan140 said:
Upgrading does sound like a good idea but I kinda wanted to play this game without having to buy software


Whoa there! No need to upgrade Windows just yet. There are free Virtual PC apps you can try (like Sun VirtualBox).
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 22, 2010 7:01:30 AM

But you still need a copy of XP to install in VirtualBox. That may cost more than the upgrade unless you already have one to hand.
Score
0
November 23, 2010 5:30:13 AM

Actually, I managed to dig up an old XP Recovery disk with the authorization code still attached to it. So I used that and now I can play Sim Tower.
Thanks to everyone for helping me
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2010 5:32:22 AM

Great, glad you got it working.
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2010 10:54:13 AM

all that for Sims.?
crazy.
Score
0
November 24, 2010 5:48:13 AM

verbalizer said:
all that for Sims.?
crazy.

What can I say? When I like something, I'm willing to do a lot to get it
Score
0
November 24, 2010 8:17:28 AM

You can also use reactos in a virtual pc to run simtower.

I have used it to get some old games working
Score
0
December 3, 2010 11:11:41 PM

Best answer selected by Megan140.
Score
0
October 13, 2011 2:01:19 AM

Well I can get the setup running in dosbox (using a front end 'dosshell') which simlifies dosbox into icons ;P

but my problem is when in the install stage it cant find any of my drives lol i get the error: Drive C doesnt exist!

so having trouble even installing the dam thing. wish i could manually install it by extracting the files manualy but that batch file is fairly big lol

im using win 7 home prem too. dosbox works fine with other dos games but this classic XD
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2011 2:17:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
0
!