Colossus Brings Internal HDMI Recording to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
[citation][nom]pepe2907[/nom]Isn't it strictly forbidden by HDMI licensing?[/citation]

Not if it comes out of your box in HD analog component ... Those that chal1ange that can suck it - You only "get in trouble" that if you go HDMI to HDMI (or decrypt to HD-SDI) and defeat the key codes ...

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Oh, okay..? I've owned a Hauppauge Colossus for over 4 months now.
Guess it was just recently released in the US?

It is a nice card. I haven't done as much as I'd like with it yet though.

G

Talk about old news. This may be the first consumer level product to do this but black magic design did this over 5 years ago.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[citation][nom]digitalrazoe[/nom]Not if it comes out of your box in HD analog component ... Those that chal1ange that can suck it - You only "get in trouble" that if you go HDMI to HDMI (or decrypt to HD-SDI) and defeat the key codes ...[/citation]

You are maybe right, but my word is - they will definitely try to ban usage of this hardware by judical measures.
Maybe I'am not precise, but one of major reasons for developing HDMI was to provide a clean and unbreakable channel of DRM secured streaming of video outside and INSIDE your system /as initialy it was designed to provide also the connection between the DVD reader and video output hardware - but CD/DVD-player manufacturers didn't play the ball, saying it will make hardware more expensive etc./.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]triwav[/nom]Talk about old news. This may be the first consumer level product to do this but black magic design did this over 5 years ago.http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/[/citation]

Thanks for pointing that out, Been looking for one of these for a few. It still don't do 60FPS 1080p though. Only 24. Id go with this company as they have been out for a few longer.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]pepe2907[/nom]Isn't it strictly forbidden by HDMI licensing?[/citation]
Not if they obey the "do not copy" bit that content providers can set.
[citation][nom]triwav[/nom]Talk about old news. This may be the first consumer level product to do this but black magic design did this over 5 years ago.http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/[/citation]
Much agreed. There is also this from Matrox that captures 1080p as well as HD audio.

agoodyu

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
See this
17.gif
message I am moved, this shows that our country's technology has the absolute progress!

Hotobu

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I'm going to set the "over under" for some enterprising hacker to override HDMI decryption on this thing to 6 months.

...Anyone want to take the over?

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Booo they are sooo late. I have been able to do this for 3 years now with the Black Magic Intensity Card. I got so fed up with the HAVA Platinum HD, and Different Dazzle Style devices when trying to record in HD. I have had component splitters, and Y connecters going into DVD Recorders and such.

The Black Magic Intensity card I bought 3 years ago allows me to record Full Uncompressed 1080P from my Xbox 360's HDMI with no problem. I can record from bootup, dashboard, to game and I dont miss anything.

I have never tried this with a Blu-Ray Player, nor while watching movies on Xbox 360 never really even thought about that since all that stuff is I can find on the net all ready compressed which I would have to do myself if i tried recording it with the Black Magic card.

Only downside is you need a pretty decent setup to run this card as intended.
When I first bought the Black Magic Intensity I needed a seperate raid box to be able to record the 1080p raw uncompressed video.

Now I have OCZ RevoDrive X2 220GB and I can record directly to that PCI Express SSD

This would have been a nice cheaper alternative 3-4 years ago but now they are just plain late, and like others have said there software still sucks.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Blackmagic does not work with Media center. Hauppauge's software sucks. The Colossus works great with Windows 7 media center.

This is old news though. They have been available through hauppauge's website for about a year. Media center drivers have only been available since Feb... I think.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I own an HDMI avermedia HD card for over a year now, I can plug in and record directly from my PS3 using HDMI, no down converting of any kind, the problem is that the files are huge, even for a few minutes of game recording.

So I haven't use it much because of this problem.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Its nice to finally have hardware and sfotware that can just record let alone HD content. With the newer hardware and software should be slightly easy to use or have for use. An internal source of add-ons is something hardly placed within anything probably of normal use to think of course. No theres little to think of course and lots to purchase!!!. Who would of known of what regular PCI slots would of been used for. Always thought it was some decor in some sense of hardware design.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I own an HDMI avermedia HD card for over a year now, I can plug in and record directly from my PS3 using HDMI, no down converting of any kind, the problem is that the files are huge, even for a few minutes of game recording.So I haven't use it much because of this problem.[/citation]

How is that possible when Blu-ray uses HDCP? Everywhere I've read states only an analog (component, 1080i) signal is possible to record on PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.