GF 6800 worth it on release?

First off, hello to those reading this. :)

I currently have a 1.7 athon xp and a GF4 mx440(64mb)

I play A LOT of MMORPG's(Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)

I am wondering if the the jump that i will be making is worth the $500
price tag?

IMO i believe it is, because im skipping over the Ti's and the FX's
straight to the 6800 series(im assuming 6800 isnt an fx, not sure)

Any comments please post :)

"Anthony C" <AntMJ2317@comcast.net> wrote in message
> First off, hello to those reading this. :)
>
> I currently have a 1.7 athon xp and a GF4 mx440(64mb)
>
> I play A LOT of MMORPG's(Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)
>
> I am wondering if the the jump that i will be making is worth the $500
> price tag?
>
> IMO i believe it is, because im skipping over the Ti's and the FX's
> straight to the 6800 series(im assuming 6800 isnt an fx, not sure)
>
> Any comments please post :)

No the 6800 is not an FX. FX's are NV 30's and the 6800 is NV 40. As far as
paying $500 USD + , IMHO is way to much. If I were you ,as a stopgap
measure, I would get a cheap TI(which will run better than an Fx, except
maybe the 5900 or 5950 ). The only shortcoming is you won't be able to
access DX 9 features, like PS 2.0, which is'nt that big of a deal since most
games even though they requirte DX9 don't use the advanced features of DX9.
Then in 6 months or so, when Nvidia release the 2nd round of cards you can
get the 6800 at a much reduced price (300-400 USD).

"Anthony C" <AntMJ2317@comcast.net> wrote in message

" I play A LOT of MMORPG's(Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)
"

Find out what motherboard you have, and find out the maximum supported CPU.
IMO, you are better off spending $200 on a video card (like an FX 5900),
upgrading your CPU and getting 1GB of suitable RAM. For between $300 and
$400 you can have a much better games system doing upgrades across-the-board
than if you were to add a 6800 to your existing setup.

Cuzman wrote:
> "Anthony C" <AntMJ2317@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> " I play A LOT of MMORPG's(Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)
> "
>

> Find out what motherboard you have, and find out the maximum supported CPU.
> IMO, you are better off spending $200 on a video card (like an FX 5900),
> upgrading your CPU and getting 1GB of suitable RAM. For between $300 and
> $400 you can have a much better games system doing upgrades across-the-board
> than if you were to add a 6800 to your existing setup.

i currently have an athlon xp 2000+ chip in my system, which runs at
1.67ghz, the only chip i see worth the "jump" to get, is a 64bit chip,
possible the 3400 or an fx51-53, any comments on those ideas?

Anthony C wrote:
> Cuzman wrote:
>
>> "Anthony C" <AntMJ2317@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> " I play A LOT of MMORPG's(Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing
>> Game)
>> "
>>

>> Find out what motherboard you have, and find out the maximum supported
>> CPU.
>> IMO, you are better off spending $200 on a video card (like an FX 5900),
>> upgrading your CPU and getting 1GB of suitable RAM. For between $300 and
>> $400 you can have a much better games system doing upgrades
>> across-the-board
>> than if you were to add a 6800 to your existing setup.
>>

> i currently have an athlon xp 2000+ chip in my system, which runs at
> 1.67ghz, the only chip i see worth the "jump" to get, is a 64bit chip,
> possible the 3400 or an fx51-53, any comments on those ideas?

Hello!

If youre ready to spend alot for an over-priced fx cpu and a new
motherboard then yes!
IMHO its better to wait for the prices to drop in 6 months or so - until
then a xp2400/2500/ etc will do the trick!
When upgrading it is in general better not to buy the newest products
for most of the software around isnt using their potential and the price
value isnt good also!
For example i recently upgraded from xp1700+ to 2400+: old cpu sold for
50, price of the new 80: 30 spend ;) I f i had bought the newest
3200+(at that time)I would have spend some 300/400 bucks...

orlando wrote:
> Anthony C wrote:
>
>> Cuzman wrote:
>>
>>> "Anthony C" <AntMJ2317@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> " I play A LOT of MMORPG's(Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing
>>> Game)
>>> "
>>>

>>> Find out what motherboard you have, and find out the maximum
>>> supported CPU.
>>> IMO, you are better off spending $200 on a video card (like an FX 5900),
>>> upgrading your CPU and getting 1GB of suitable RAM. For between $300
>>> and
>>> $400 you can have a much better games system doing upgrades
>>> across-the-board
>>> than if you were to add a 6800 to your existing setup.
>>>

>> i currently have an athlon xp 2000+ chip in my system, which runs at
>> 1.67ghz, the only chip i see worth the "jump" to get, is a 64bit chip,
>> possible the 3400 or an fx51-53, any comments on those ideas?
>

> Hello!
>
> If youre ready to spend alot for an over-priced fx cpu and a new
> motherboard then yes!
> IMHO its better to wait for the prices to drop in 6 months or so - until
> then a xp2400/2500/ etc will do the trick!
> When upgrading it is in general better not to buy the newest products
> for most of the software around isnt using their potential and the price
> value isnt good also!
> For example i recently upgraded from xp1700+ to 2400+: old cpu sold for
> 50, price of the new 80: 30 spend ;) I f i had bought the newest
> 3200+(at that time)I would have spend some 300/400 bucks...
yea, i hear what your sayin, i just like to make the biggest jump
possible and get my money's worth, but maybe it's time for an upgrade :)