Norton Internet Security

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 16, 2005 10:59:40 PM

A friend has installed Norton Internet Security 2003. She only has narrow
band (W98) and so updates are a pain. Is it possible to select which updates
to install i.e. Restricted Sites used in parental control is 22MB download.
Parental control is not required but seem unable to stop the download of
restricted sites. Any help appreciated.

Peter
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:57:23 PM

Unfortunately, you can't pick which updates to download. LiveUpdate
will always go and grab all available updates. Hopefully, being able
to customize this will be a feature that Symantec can put in soon.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:10:13 PM

On 18 Aug 2005 13:57:23 -0700, dchu515@gmail.com wrote:

> Unfortunately, you can't pick which updates to download. LiveUpdate
> will always go and grab all available updates. Hopefully, being able
> to customize this will be a feature that Symantec can put in soon.

Actually this functionality was part of Liveupdate in past versions if set
to interactive mode, though as there seems little security value in not
downloading all available updates, it may have been taken out since I last
used it this way. The user would be presented with a checkboxed list of
available updates to choose from, with all selected be default.

--

BB
Anonymous

On 16-Aug-2005, "Peter" <peter@nospam.com>
wrote in message <ddtd2s$bbc$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>:

> A friend has installed Norton Internet Security 2003. She only has narrow
> band (W98) and so updates are a pain. Is it possible to select which
> updates
> to install i.e. Restricted Sites used in parental control is 22MB
> download.
> Parental control is not required but seem unable to stop the download of
> restricted sites. Any help appreciated.

Uninstall NIS, then reinstall it and select "no" when it asks if
you want to install Parental Controls. Luckily, Live Update is
smart enough not to download the list of restricted sites if PC
isn't installed.

--
Jim Heckman
!